Discovery Gaming Community
Alternate use for Repair ship - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Alternate use for Repair ship (/showthread.php?tid=141729)

Pages: 1 2

Alternate use for Repair ship - Altejago - 08-01-2016

The repair ship is, as far as I know, a practically useless ship in the game now, with the bot/bat feeding nerfed it renders the point of that ship useless in game now. I was thinking about something different I can do for DSE and I was thinking about the engineering side and remembering that all our engineering ships were repair ships. It reminded me of why they are there but the lack of things it can do.

So here's the thing, the repair ship is designed to basically be a versatile little craft but there's no way we can do that in game. It then dawned on me 'why aren't they mining ships'? Technically, it has all the abilities to recover metal considering it attaches metal to bases, trade lanes and jump gates and large ships in its RP capactity.

What if we gave the repair ship the ability to mine with a small bonus on scrap metal? It suits the job and gives people a reason to play with it more. It's also a very neutral style ship so relatively diverse in who can use it.

Opinions?

RE: Alternate use for Repair ship - Vendetta - 08-01-2016

I like this idea. It'd give it more purpose beyond the little repair tool it has. Maybe giving it some additional utility tools might be useful, too.

RE: Alternate use for Repair ship - Skorak - 08-01-2016

It could be a dedicated support class if that were wanted.

As far as I was explained there is no desire for that.

So I don't think they'll make it more useful.

RE: Alternate use for Repair ship - Jack_Henderson - 08-02-2016

Question: Have you ever tried the repair ship's use?
Why does the concept of "right in the situation repair" not work?
I think that the concept of "shoot to repair" is actually a step forward.

I am not against giving it a mining bonus.
It would likely need hardpoints adjusting to be en par with the other miners.

RE: Alternate use for Repair ship - sindroms - 08-02-2016

During the LN - LSF fight in Alaska, one of the BSs was covered by a TSing, TZing repair ship. It got instakilled by a dual nova bomber. (Guess who (sun) )

So yes, please give the thing more range at least. Make the repair turrets a transport class, restricted to that ship via technerf. So that at least it can TS more efficiently without having to face the ship in question at all times.

RE: Alternate use for Repair ship - Xenon - 08-02-2016

(08-01-2016, 06:29 PM)Altejago Wrote: What if we gave the repair ship the ability to mine with a small bonus on scrap metal? It suits the job and gives people a reason to play with it more. It's also a very neutral style ship so relatively diverse in who can use it.

Opinions?

What if after each battle, and after every ship getting destroyed, SPECIALLY the capital ships ones, then some debris of Premium Debris Metal (PDM) shows in space which can only be tractor by Repair ship. Also how about renaming the repair ship to "Debris Recycler" and/or maybe add new edits to it's look too

RE: Alternate use for Repair ship - sindroms - 08-02-2016

That would involve the dynamic mining field plugin, which apparently is borky. Which is why mining events is not a thing. Or at least that was the last time it was mentioned.

RE: Alternate use for Repair ship - sasapinjic - 08-02-2016

Can it be made that repair ship can restore permanently broken Trade Lines/Jump Gates ( example , ones in Leeds ) to work for short time ( lets say until next server restart , so up to 24 hours ) , is that possible to code ?
That will give some new set of options in game , for example :
-Group of traders wants to do some trade runs from New London to tau 31 , so they hire repair ship to fix lines and gate for them ,
-Group of Galic BS want to do some raids in Lew London , so they hire repair ship to fix lines and gate for them .

RE: Alternate use for Repair ship - Altejago - 08-02-2016

To be fair Jack, 'Question: Have you ever tried the repair ship's use?' and 'Why does the concept of "right in the situation repair" not work?'

I didn't actually realize the repair ship was able to do anything other than bot drop. If there has been something I've missed in the last year, please do enlighten me as I must admit I am going off old memories here regarding them.

If they actually are able to do real time damage repair then consider this thought process redundant as I assumed nothing had been done with the Repair ship to make it useful.

RE: Alternate use for Repair ship - Inferno - 08-02-2016

To answer your question, yes, they are more than just bot-feeders. When ships have their shields down, the nanotool on the Repair ship will slowly(quickly) repair the main hull of the ship. This repair was used on a certain battleship named Harmony and it took it from 7% hull back to 100%.

Other than that, the Repair ship doesn't have much use. Bring one to a massive battle for a last stand kind of thing and it might even turn the tides.