Discovery Gaming Community
Glendalough Orbital - Conference room - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Glendalough Orbital - Conference room (/showthread.php?tid=144556)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Glendalough Orbital - Conference room - Yaoquizque - 11-08-2016

"Konbanwa, Rush-san." said Junko, slightly bowing to Rush before sitting down.
She waited for Patrick to leave drinks on the conference table, taking advantage of that delay to study Rush.

Eventually she said :
"O'Brian-san, Rush-san, I would first like to remove any ambiguity. As you know, I belong to Kusari Naval Forces and am very committed to Kusari interests. I'm also currently spending time in Bretonia to get a personal wish fulfilled. A wish that may require more than shooting a few Bafies. Consequently, you are the last on my list when it comes to decide what to do with that odd material. That said, I believe it is minimum courtesy to listen to you before taking a final decision. That is why I am here today."

Junko then gazed at Rush, asking :
"Then, Rush-san, perhaps you could start by telling me who you are and what your field of expertise is. I'd also be glad to hear about your objectives and your priorities. No doubt that material is dangerous and handing it to a random civilian scientist could be pretty dangerous."

RE: Glendalough Orbital - Conference room - fabreth - 11-08-2016

At the arrival of the guest, Dr. Rush stands up and respectfully returns the greeting.

Listening to the woman, he was surprised about the honesty, even if, suspicious as he is, he believes that something was missing.

After a brief sip of his drink, he reply:

"Well, miss Sanada, I appreciate the clarity and I must say I undersand your concerns. But you see, that material is dangerous per se, doesn't matter who uses it.
I am what you see.. an indipendent researcher. I'm not affiliated with anyone, I don't work for anyone if that's what you mean. Only Jimmy and Patrick are informed about my goals, as you could've guessed.
Here's the thing: I committed myself to one project: improving space travel. I think we are too dependent on the gates.. maybe after so many centuries we are so used to them that we didn't think that we could improve our technology, maybe it's convenient this way for someone... anyway.."

He make a brief pause, then:

"I have gathered data on the anomalies in the last months, but I admit lately I'm a little stuck in my research..." he sighs "things could improve when some hanging matters will be resolved. For now I have things only on theoretical level.. I've heard things about that material, and I think it could help me."

He leans back to his chair

"I don't want to use it yet.. not before carefully studying it anyway. As a matter of fact, i would prefer to replicate the component in a way that pose lesser risks, but than would require time."

He plays with his glass while observing the guest reaction.. she's now in fact one of the few people that knows about his project. That unsettles him a little, even if he didn't tell much, but he had to tell her

RE: Glendalough Orbital - Conference room - Yaoquizque - 11-09-2016

The woman moved forward, joining her hands before her on the table while studying Rush.
"I have to say your words surprise me, Dr. Rush. You are certainly not without any knowledge of the numerous rumors related with dark matter experiments, some resulting in the very hazardous radiation fields we can encounter in various systems within the colonies. We even have such a field in Kusari, which is rumored to be linked with a failed experiment by the Naval Forces..."

She kept staring at Rush as if she was busy trying to read his body language, while adding :
"Besides, the recent introduction of Jump Drives, allowing ships to fast travel to nearby systems is quite a step forward, if you ask me... So I don't think I can agree with you when you say this field of study is neglected."

Junko made what could pass for a shy smile, tapping softly on the table with her fingers.
"What makes you think you can get better results, working alone, than the certainly numerous scientific teams funded by each of the five Great Houses for this very task? Perhaps you are forgetting to tell me something important, Dr. Rush, or simply leading me to false assumptions to hide your true objectives?"

RE: Glendalough Orbital - Conference room - fabreth - 11-09-2016

Rush almost feels like a candidate for a job interview, but he imagined that she eventually would mention the jump drives and the houses, so he calmly replies

"Ah, but miss, are you sure the Houses are investing in this type of research? I'm not.. in fact, part of the reason I'm working alone is because I have yet to find anyone interested in this.
I'm sure that if all the scientists of Sirius were united, we probably would already have the solution... hell, we probably could have ships FTL engines equipped as a standard. But every house seems to work only for herself.. to rise above all the others. Honestly, I even think some group already have some kind of solution but they keep it to themselves.. certainly you know about that jump hole that was created in Sigma some weeks ago. Think about it.. Ageira would certainly have the expertise, manpower and money to do it, but, why would they? They have the monopoly on the gates, and they are happy with that.
Maybe things will change with the omnipresent Nomad menace.. but you know what they say... hope for the best, prepare for the worst."

He took a pause to savor his drink, while thinking that Jimmy is probably enjoying this little discussion.. they both know that this project is probably unobtainable alone.. then:

"So, maybe I'm completely wrong here but yes.. for now I'm alone. "

"...oh, yes.. jump drives. Interesting piece of technology, but they doesn't seem very sought-after, I think due to the cost and resources needed to use them. Indeed they are a good leap forward in technology, I can't argue with that, and they could be a good base for creating a real FTL engine, and begin exploring every corner of Sirius and beyond, without the need of hibernation and years-long voyages."

He gives a little smile and open his arms and then clap his hands while saying

"Well, Miss, that's me. This is the only thing that matters to me.. I would gladly receive any help, but if I won't, I'll continue anyway."

He's about to turn towards the window to the view outside, as if there's some "ghost" in the distance, but forces himself to maintain eye contact with the woman

RE: Glendalough Orbital - Conference room - Demonic - 11-10-2016

Jimmy keeps quiet during the initial discussion. He drinks his whisky, listens to them both and is obviously trying to make his opinion about the woman. When Rush finishes his sentence, Jimmy takes another sip of his whisky and finally speaks again.

"So, ya'd prefer to give the parts to yer government I assume, aye? Well, in me opinion, no government deserves 'em. They might 'ave the cash 'nd people to crack the problem, but do ya really think it would benefit Sirius as a whole? Hell no. They'd keep it fer themself, most likely even 'ide it from the people. Corporations? Even worse. Look at Ageira, those blokes 'ave the Jump Gate tech fer how long? At least six hundred bloody years, if the records 're any good. That's an awfull lo' o time to improve, yet did they? Nah. They sit on their golden egg o' monopoly, milkin' the whole Sirius. They dinnae want anythin' better. Independed researchers might be a risky ones to give this to, aye, but they are the only reall chance fer some progress, lass."

RE: Glendalough Orbital - Conference room - Yaoquizque - 11-12-2016

She leaned back and raised her head towards the ceiling, as to reflect.
"Well... I believe you over estimate how benevolent I could be. I'm sure it's sad to hear, but I care little about mankind well being as a whole. There is only a few things I care about : Myself, people I know and Kusari. In that order. I know it's not very glamorous but it's how it is. The past taught me to keep things simple. That's the key to happiness."
She then smiled warmly at them, bringing an odd contrast with the words she just pronounced.
"You complain that Ageira keeps its knowledge for themselves? Who could blame them. Anyone would do the same if they had any knowledge of great value. Will you reproach Kusari Keiretsu to not share their advances in miniaturization and scanning technology? A lot of people worked hard to achieve that result."

Junko bit her lower lip before propping her elbow on the table, helding her head up with her fist.
"I can see you seem to care a lot about giving mankind fast travel. But why? Nobody is that altruistic. You must have a reason to do it, to dedicate your life to this cause. You claim to be alone. Did that obsession of yours cost you your friends, possibly your family? Why choosing to live like this?"
She then gazed at O'Brian.
"And you, O'Brian-san, what is your interest in this? Why do you help Rush-san? And Patrick? Is he an associate of yours or just an underling?"

RE: Glendalough Orbital - Conference room - fabreth - 11-13-2016

Rush felt like a punch in the stomach... she indeed hit a soft spot, and he lose his focus. This time he doesn't care about the "etiquette", and ankwardly stands up and walks toward the window, despite the look on Jimmy's face, who seems like a "what the hell are you doing?". While watching outside, he speaks, with a sad tone:

"You know Miss, you aren't completely wrong. I had a wife, and she's... not here anymore. And friends.. most of them disappeared in my time of need. So.. what I left is this cause."

After a deep breath, not wanting to tell more, he turns again

"So, in a way, you're right. I do it for myself. But that doesn't mean the possible discoveries couldn't benefit everyone..." almost whispering, talking to himself "she would share to all.."

He hopes there'd be no more talking about this topic, at least not in this meeting... could be difficult for him, and he definitely doesn't want to totally lose his composure. He also hopes not to lose Jimmy's trust.. he never asked many questions.. with these thoughts, he focus again on the woman:

"Can i ask you what'ya wanna to do with those parts? Do you already have a buyer?"

Then, the last question, with a little provoking tone, while sitting down again "Oh.. and.. you government knows you have them?"

RE: Glendalough Orbital - Conference room - Yaoquizque - 11-17-2016

Junko raised an eyebrow when she witnessed Rush lose shortly his composure, seemingly overwhelmed with conflicting emotions. She gazed at O'Brian, as to ask him what was the reason of such an odd behavior.
But since O'Brian remained silent, she shifted her attention back to Rush, who was now seemingly answering her questions sincerely, albeit painfully.

Rush was now striking her as somebody unstable, struggling to focus on the present. But after all, some scientists tended to be lost in their world...
At least it appeared his motives, as nebulous as they may be, were not related with altruism.
Now she was considering it, that behavior was quite odd... Why did this simple question about his relatives made the scientist feel that cornered? Perhaps some familial tragedy. Junko decided to not dig further.

She did not interrupt Rush, letting him regain some composure by chaining several inquiries. Lying down, she reflected shortly before answering :
"Rush-san, please accept my apologies if my words hurt you. It was clearly not my intent. Regarding your questions, and as I said earlier, I haven't decided yet what I should do with that material. I'm not planning to sell it, however. That is why I did not accept the offer given by that Auxesia A.I in Omega 3 system, as O'Brian-san knows. I have no contact with my government right now, and thus could not have informed them of this discovery."

The woman sat up straight in her seat, lowering her head slowly as she was staring at Rush.
"That said, Rush-san, I cannot say at this very moment I trust you and O'Brian-san enough to give you this material. It takes times for trust to be built in a relationship, as you know. Besides, you give me the impression you are quite self-centered and rather... Unstable. I'm sure you have your reasons but I can't say this reassures me."

She then looked down, as if she felt, oddly, somewhat embarrassed.
"I won't hand to you that material as it stands... But I can propose you to begin a partnership. Perhaps we could get to know each other better by working together. And then, when trust will exist between us, the situation will be different."

RE: Glendalough Orbital - Conference room - Demonic - 11-17-2016

Again, Jimmy remained silent and let the other two speak. He does not react to Rush's behaviour in any way, he simply takes another sip of whisky and continues to listen. Then finally, when the woman mentioned a partnership, he spoke again.

"Well, I hafta admit, I was expectin' ya to tell us we get nothin', but I admit yer offer of partnership suprised me a bit. What partnership 're ya speakin' bout? I'll be honest with ya, lass, if it involves shootin' gov forces, then I ain't goin' to agree with it."

He makes a brief pause, collect his thoughts and then contines.

"And if ya want to 'now why I'm helpin' Rush with this, it's simple. First, there's potential in this. Profitable one. And second, I really dinnae like governments and corporations. If Rush manages to pull this off, it'll be a good jab at 'em."

RE: Glendalough Orbital - Conference room - Yaoquizque - 11-18-2016

"No, nothing related with hunting Bretonia lawfuls." replied Junko, nodding.
"I'm not certain of what you need, but I can offer to provide you with reasonably rare material. I'm known in some circles for being able to acquire unusual items like equipment... Or Alien related material. I can also protect you or your property if you need to move somewhere."

The woman then smiled warmly before adding :
"Finally, if you need something to be smuggled or someone to... Disappear, I can also think about it."

She then subtly shrugged.
"I'm far from an expert in scientific subjects or in mechanics, however. So I doubt I would be able to assist Rush-san in his researches. That said, this facility of yours is rather interesting and I wouldn't mind being allowed to use it as an occasional haven."