Discovery Gaming Community
Red Hessian capital ship lore - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Red Hessian capital ship lore (/showthread.php?tid=146393)

Pages: 1 2

Red Hessian capital ship lore - Impyness - 12-19-2016

So a lot of people have brought this up over the years about how little sense it makes for Hessians to be able to build / design / maintain their caps. I can agree to this to some degree, and I think that as a way to both buff up Unioner lore to some extent and to explain much better their ability to field them if it were the case that the Unioners designed the Hessian caps.

I personally find this makes a lot of sense since the Hessians might have the manpower / support and resources to maintain their caps, but being a group of pretty much entirely miners are unable to construct and maintain their caps from a technical point of view. This is somewhat the opposite of the Unioners, who come from a shipbuilding background but would lack the manpower and funding to keep such large things maintained. If we combine both these aspects together, the Unioners selling ship designs to the Hessians makes a lot of sense to me. I've written up a mock infocard for the sake of an example of what I mean.

RH-D1 "Jormungand" Red Hessian Battleship

Despite the great success of the Vidar class, the Red Hessians have found themselves time and again confronted with enemy ships that were simply large enough to overpower an attack force and required a fighting retreat to be successfully combated, by which time the enemy would have regained the initiative. Finding themselves with both the manpower and resources to construct such a behemoth but not the technical know-how, the miner-turned-revolutionaries turned to their shipbuilding allies the Unioners and commissioned them to design this monstrosity. The Unioners have since made a tidy profit both off of the sales of the design itself and in supplying the technicians needed to construct and maintain them. Designed by the Unioners to be a breakthrough assault vessel, it is the heaviest ship in the Hessian arsenal and was modelled closely after the Bismarck class battleship used by the Rheinland Military. The effectiveness of said weapon has quickly earned it a nickname appropriate with the ship's name: the Ragnarok.

Aside from some possible sentence structure / grammatical remodeling in the infocard itself, I was mostly wondering what other peoples view on this change would be.

RE: Red Hessian capital ship lore - Cælumaresh - 12-19-2016

I always thought they were repurposed heavy mining rigs

RE: Red Hessian capital ship lore - Antonio - 12-19-2016

I agree with this. It's very logical from what the two groups are in lore and gives Unioners a small "buff" if you can call it that, without impacting the current status of factions or their (ingame) property. It also refines the lore to make a bit more sense for the reasons you explained above.

RE: Red Hessian capital ship lore - Shaggy - 12-19-2016

I tried making a discussion about this in the RHA Feedback thread and told abused about it so yeah, I agree RHA shouldn't have or be able to build and maintain such ships considering they are miners. I don't see IMG, ALG, BMM, DSE with battleships so why should RHA and Unioners who are ship builders only have fighter and bomber. Please sort this out.

RE: Red Hessian capital ship lore - Wildkins - 12-19-2016

Dev opinion:
[7:31:24 AM] John Wildkins: send it to the dev team

Personal opinion:
I like the idea, as it gives another lore thread to the somewhat underdeveloped Unioners, while explaining the power bubble that is the Red Hessians and their capital fleet. Will have to do a bit of research to make sure it fits in properly and makes sense, but nobody really loses out from this change, and it makes the Rheinland unlawfuls a little more interesting.

RE: Red Hessian capital ship lore - Thunderer - 12-19-2016

Aren't the Hessians and the Unioners hostile to each other?

RE: Red Hessian capital ship lore - Wesker - 12-20-2016

(12-19-2016, 11:55 PM)Thunderer Wrote: Aren't the Hessians and the Unioners hostile to each other?

RHA and UN are at war and hopefully soon we'll be hostile with them.

As for the OP, I would've thought the least blodo or aerelm could've done was edit some npc infocards for our bases and ships but I guess it was too much to ask of them at the time.

First things first, people live under this misconception that the Hessians are explicitly ex miners and nothing else. Yes we have a lot of ex-miners. Inrp the Hessian movement was formed from Daumann rebels, but that doesn't mean we're limited to JUST miners inrp. Like the VWA, we have some ex-military pilots, and like the Unioners, we have some ex-engineers. If you think about it logically in vanilla, how the hell could ex-miners formally or even informally for this matter, wage war in the omegas against the Corsairs and in Rheinland at the same time?

Yes we have some engineers, yes we have some ex military pilots. Does that make us dominantly military pilots and engineers? I don't think so. I'm hoping to make some infocard edits as time goes on after the holidays as these questions regarding capital ships and the npc Hessians ability inrp to organize themselves and wage war have been spamming me non-stop and it's getting extremely annoying.

While your idea might help the Unioners out a bit and might make some more sense to an extent. I'd prefer it was something more along the lines of the Hessians stealing the original blueprints and making tweaks to them SHOULD your idea somehow go through to the devs and meet their approval. The Unioners selling random battleship blueprints to second or third parties makes no inrp sense to me.

Think of it like what the Hessians did with the hel, we stole the designs and made tweaks to them and now we have the Vidar. Or even the borderworlds shipline for that matter, we stole it from the outcasts and manufactured it ourselves. Do something like that for the Jormungand, but that's IF this idea gets traction from the devs. I don't think it would make sense that the Unioners would just sell let alone give away battleship blueprints. I'd much rather like to handle my factions infocards differently. I do agree on the point that they do need some edits so things make some more sense inrp.

RE: Red Hessian capital ship lore - Haste - 12-20-2016

So then you've explained Red Hessian capitals a tiny bit better. What about the Zoner, Outcast, Colonial, Corsair, [Enter small to medium-sized faction here] caps though?

I think it's a bit pointless to attempt to fix just one of them when there's so many poorly-explained capitals out there.

RE: Red Hessian capital ship lore - Black Widow - 12-20-2016

(12-20-2016, 12:08 AM)Wesker Wrote:
(12-19-2016, 11:55 PM)Thunderer Wrote: Aren't the Hessians and the Unioners hostile to each other?

RHA and UN are at war and hopefully soon we'll be hostile with them.

As for the OP, I would've thought the least blodo or aerelm could've done was edit some npc infocards for our bases and ships but I guess it was too much to ask of them at the time.

First things first, people live under this misconception that the Hessians are explicitly ex miners and nothing else. Yes we have a lot of ex-miners. Inrp the Hessian movement was formed from Daumann rebels, but that doesn't mean we're limited to JUST miners inrp. Like the VWA, we have some ex-military pilots, and like the Unioners, we have some ex-engineers. If you think about it logically in vanilla, how the hell could ex-miners formally or even informally for this matter, wage war in the omegas against the Corsairs and in Rheinland at the same time?

Yes we have some engineers, yes we have some ex military pilots. Does that make us dominantly military pilots and engineers? I don't think so. I'm hoping to make some infocard edits as time goes on after the holidays as these questions regarding capital ships and the npc Hessians ability inrp to organize themselves and wage war have been spamming me non-stop and it's getting extremely annoying.

While your idea might help the Unioners out a bit and might make some more sense to an extent. I'd prefer it was something more along the lines of the Hessians stealing the original blueprints and making tweaks to them SHOULD your idea somehow go through to the devs and meet their approval. The Unioners selling random battleship blueprints to second or third parties makes no inrp sense to me.

Think of it like what the Hessians did with the hel, we stole the designs and made tweaks to them and now we have the Vidar. Or even the borderworlds shipline for that matter, we stole it from the outcasts and manufactured it ourselves. Do something like that for the Jormungand, but that's IF this idea gets traction from the devs. I don't think it would make sense that the Unioners would just sell let alone give away battleship blueprints. I'd much rather like to handle my factions infocards differently. I do agree on the point that they do need some edits so things make some more sense inrp.

Wesker I think you have your Lore muddled up, first off just because a faction wages war against another doesnt mean they should have battleships. In Vanilla no Pirate faction had a battleships coz they are military and didnt make sense for them to have any. That is just a discovery creation.

Also the blueprints for the hel were not stolen and upgraded to create the Vidar, in fact its the other way round.

The Hel Cruisers are decommissioned / older vidar models replaced with newer models and the old ones are sold on as hel cruisers to other pirates.

RE: Red Hessian capital ship lore - Impyness - 12-29-2016

Bump, also Unioners arent hostile to Red Hessians.

This also isnt removing caps from Hessians, even though they honestly probably shouldn't have had them originally but taking away something after it's been given is much more difficult. This is only to discuss making it much more reasonable for a group of miners to have obtained the designs for large capital ships.