Discovery Gaming Community
Can we please change the snub changes back? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Discovery Mod Balance (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Thread: Can we please change the snub changes back? (/showthread.php?tid=147221)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Can we please change the snub changes back? - Durandal - 03-01-2017

(03-01-2017, 06:20 AM)Auzari Wrote:
(03-01-2017, 06:15 AM)Sombra Hookier Wrote:
(03-01-2017, 03:57 AM)Haste Wrote: I would prefer avoiding a straightforward hullbuster, tracking missile. If I were to add one it'd likely have extremely limited ammo - which with current CM capacity would make them rather pointless.

Why don't reduce the CM ammo? Are straight lines of CMs spammed by people trying to escape using CMs with the mouse wheel so much better than tracking missiles?

take into consideration that CDs are a thing too, and that CMs aren't always successful. If it was lowered, it would run out insanely quick.

Not really. It's pretty likely that CM count will be reduced at some point. People got by with only 70 CMs for literal years, going back to that or a similar number isn't out of the question.

RE: Can we please change the snub changes back? - Etaphreven - 03-01-2017

(03-01-2017, 07:14 AM)Durandal Wrote: Not really. It's pretty likely that CM count will be reduced at some point. People got by with only 70 CMs for literal years, going back to that or a similar number isn't out of the question.

So then why was it changed in the first place? Seems like unnecessary work going back and forth between balance choices. Same thing for the snub nerfs.

It was changed because missiles that could reliably hit and do loads of damage with an ammo count of around ~50 were a thing at the time. It's unlikely we'll ever be returning to that. As for why? Different balance team, different people, different technical limitations. The code actually exists for lock-on mechanics in Freelancer and I do not really want to introduce tracking anti-hull missiles without it being implemented.

RE: Can we please change the snub changes back? - Alley - 03-01-2017

(03-01-2017, 10:17 AM)Durandal Wrote: The code actually exists for lock-on mechanics in Freelancer and I do not really want to introduce tracking anti-hull missiles without it being implemented.

Just so there is no misunderstanding, the above is not about the original missile tracking code that exist in the base game, but the one that was developed by the Tides of War team.
Unless I have permission from FriendlyFire to implement that code in Discovery, I will not betray their trust by implementing it without their approval as TOW is closed source.

RE: Can we please change the snub changes back? - Backo - 03-01-2017

(03-01-2017, 10:17 AM)Durandal Wrote: The code actually exists for lock-on mechanics in Freelancer and I do not really want to introduce tracking anti-hull missiles without it being implemented.

Will capital ship (GB and above) missiles also implement this new lock on or will they continue to be fire and forget?

(03-01-2017, 10:49 AM)Bloodl1ke Wrote:

Will capital ship (GB and above) missiles also implement this new lock on or will they continue to be fire and forget?

It probably wouldn't be a great idea, as I have no idea how the mechanic would interact with TS/TZ and snubs are capable of running circles around caps.

That all being said, we'll probably never get the code as Alley pointed out above.

RE: Can we please change the snub changes back? - Jack_Henderson - 03-01-2017

I am really getting annoyed by elite pvp devs telling the community that they cannot have a useful weapon for new players so that they can perhaps do something in fights. Very limited ammo. Very much nerfed. Very many CMs.

Seriously?

Is it not enough to be able to kill 3 or 4 single-handedly.
Is it necessary that you do not lose a single bot in the process?
Is it that scary to imagine to sometimes also explode, even thiough you were the best player on the battlefield?

The mentality is just annoying.
We all know where this move to get rid of all missiles came from: elite pvpers who hated it to lose. Just that they still won 90+ percent of their fights, but the few they did not, prompted a move to make them even deadlier.

Right now, pvp pros are unbeatable. The really good ones do not even lose shields when fighting less than 4 normal players.
The removal of the totally okay missiles only served the very good ones who can hit that mini-razor. The rest of the guns are play-things, more or less useless in varying degrees. But the pro-cannon remained the same.

There is so much wrong with the snub development, and if you play the game on a snub, you will realize it by one thing: SOLARIS. You wil meet caps, caps, caps... and they will solarize your ass without feeling bad because snub-development made 90 % of the player base useless, in order to buff the few pvp aces against becoming a blue sometimes.

Snub development sucks.
Sorry, that's just the truth.
Stop being afraid of empowering new players and let them participate in snub combat.
Stop being afraid of sometimes dying in a game to some less-skilled players.

This is ridiculous, and it harms the game more than the few elite guys who balance and dev can understand. Solaris will teach you.

RE: Can we please change the snub changes back? - Backo - 03-01-2017

(03-01-2017, 12:33 PM)Jack_Henderson Wrote: I am really getting annoyed by elite pvp devs telling the community that they cannot have a useful weapon for new players so that they can perhaps do something in fights.

But, Henderson, we once had Starkillers for everyone. It resulted in you ragequitting a fight because the elite side still knew how to use explosive weapons better. You may think torpedoes and missiles are gonna give you a better chance versus better players but in reality what they'll do is give experienced players an even easier way to kill newbies. Torpedoes care not for Titan hitbox. Smile

RE: Can we please change the snub changes back? - sasapinjic - 03-01-2017

(03-01-2017, 12:33 PM)Jack_Henderson Wrote: This is ridiculous, and it harms the game

^ + 1

RE: Can we please change the snub changes back? - Jack_Henderson - 03-01-2017

Starkillers =/= missiles.

Starkillers are useless in chase fights. They are dangerous when used by players who know how to approach a target frontally and that's why experienced pvpers profited mostly from the Starkiller idiocy.

Missiles were useful in chase fights, which are a standard in group fights. They could chew some hull out of even pro-dodgers, down shields of those who do not lose shields any more to less than 4 players today.

See the difference?
Of course you do, but as you belong to the ones who are good at pvp, you might be as well leaning towards the "no missiles please" side of the argument.