Discovery Gaming Community
POB destruction mechanics - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: POB destruction mechanics (/showthread.php?tid=147470)

POB destruction mechanics - Tunicle - 01-28-2017

Community input welcomed.

http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=147469

RE: POB destruction mechanics - GTB - 03-09-2017

I dont play GC since over 2 years ago. But last time playing just before leaving I got into creating a player base and took it to core 2 level I think at time. The amount of time and effort it took doing it trading and then keeping it maintained is very time consuming and people helping you trade for it at first soon lose interest and drop off because of it, it was even getting too much for me in the end. In the end our base got destroyed by the same people that helped build it at first but then lost interest leaving you alone to do it all yourself sat talking with mates instead of helping. This led to me removing them from the base and they killed it over it all. They are not worth the time and and effort put into keeping them going when pretty much the same thing happens with most of them started like what happened to the one I started.

Too many people also get their jolly wanting to kill player bases ruining all the time and effort you put into building it. That alone doesn't make it worth building one unless they was easy to build and maintenance vs camping with battleships to kill them

PoB - They require too much time and effort put into them, simple as that really.

RE: POB destruction mechanics - Benoit - 03-10-2017

(03-10-2017, 12:59 PM)Benoit Wrote: If I could compare a base siege to something in reality it would be the shore bombardment of coasts during the WWII.
The problem of shore bombardment wasn't finding the firepower to make it happens but rather making the logistics doable in order to supply the immense need of munition.
Why not simulate this by making the attacker needs a power supply chain via the need of transporters to maintain his capacity of shooting?

RE: POB destruction mechanics - Devastator - 03-14-2017

I want to second Benoit since this would make these events more rounded towards traders and it would take more than one faction to pull it off. I for one do not necessarily partake in PVP I am not very good at it. But I do a lot of trading. I am not sure it should be harder to destroy a POB though as it already take considerable fire power and you only deal damage when the shield goes down which is once every 15 minutes (unless I misunderstand the mechanics). It may be prudent to include what Benoit has said but also make it so that the shield has a hit bar as well. This would help strike teams coordinate attacks as well as make it more difficult to attack remote locations that people spend lives constructing and maintaining. It is always a heavy blow to loose a station. I understand the need for it to be too difficult for one player to maintain so that way not hundreds of them show up on the servers, but honestly I think besides armaments and armor bases should be self sufficient. If crew and RA and Mox were the only three commodities needed to maintain a base (not upgrade or build) and you increased the cost of building and upgrading I think It would be beneficial to the server. And While it would still be a heavy blow people would feel compelled to build a better one since they aren't spending half of their time on Disco running supplies. It still wouldn't be feasible for individual players and I feel that it was originally designed to force factions to have a better active rate. but the fact is for factions like Blood Dragons and those that can't use ships over 3,600 cargo they end up logging non faction 5kers to do the work so they have more time to ingame RP. Again these are just my thoughts. One more thing. I believe that any explosions in space carry a shock wave and should pass on some form of damage to things it hits. IE. a station is destroyed it sends an explosive wave out. Ships hit by the wave take x amount of damage. Applied to hull that way if there is a fight going on the defenders don't feel at a complete loss as though they lost the station they still killed some of the ships (hopefully). Finally these are just some ideas and opinions.