Discovery Gaming Community
The Ballad of Inverness (Invite only) - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: The Ballad of Inverness (Invite only) (/showthread.php?tid=148625)

Pages: 1 2

RE: The Ballad of Inverness (Invite only) - Commonwealth of House Liberty - 05-16-2017

McKenna waited for a few seconds to see if any of the other delegates had to say anything, then he raised his voice. "I don't see any problems with proposed solution from the Commonwealths side" He said, leaning back a bit, apparently content with the direction this meeting took.
"The Spaceport would be even less affected by the changes and planet Elgin, even though in the Commonwealths territory per our proposal, isn't of interest for us. "
With that he turned his head towards the Bretonian Prince, waiting for him to continue.

RE: The Ballad of Inverness (Invite only) - AlphaWolf215 - 06-27-2017

James sat, staring at the sector map in front of him, the revised changes on the map made clear. There where general murmurs of approval all round, but he wasn't satisfied with the development

I came into this meeting hoping to find an agreement that would benefit all involved, and yet the proposals put forward so far seem, to me at least, to be a loss for Bretonia.

Whilst I am not able to share specifics beyond the idea of "contingencies" at this point, Bretonia does have plans for the Inverness system in the future. What assurances can I receive that, should these contingency plans be put in motion, full control of the system will be returned to Bretonian hands, if only temporarily. In such a situation I believe further talks would come in place to arrange the further running of the system regardless.

These thoughts may seem a little disjointed at this point in time, but I'm afraid I am simply unable to elaborate further.

He settled back in his chair. This wasn't going as he had hoped, and he knew there was no way they'd accept this back home.

//apologies on the delay. Been waiting on others, but this has waited far too long. Having to make this without them

RE: The Ballad of Inverness (Invite only) - Vendetta - 06-28-2017

Leviathan eyed the young Bretonian as he spoke, tapping an armored finger on the table. Once James had finished, he spoke. "This was, as I had said, one proposal of what we are looking for." The masked man stood up straight.

"Naturally, whatever plans, contingencies or fail safes you may have for this desolate part of space may be yours to keep, but consider that the shift of local anomalies has made it far more difficult for the Kingdom to reach this system. On one end, you have a significant threat posed by the Order which has been present for quite some time. On the other, you have the nemesis of humanity being kept at bay, while pirates and other undesirables frequent the area. Whatever contingency or plan you may have for this place, is it really worth it? You would be throwing yourselves into more danger and risking more lives for what - an empty, overheated world and access to ice fields?" Leviathan shrugged nonchalantly.

"As far as respect goes, even the strongest has to give ground to others, especially when they're friends, allies and assets. The gain for Bretonia in this situation is access to mineral resources only obtained from The Commonwealth, one less front to worry about given the war effort, and the benefit of a stronger ally in the region who is willing to aid and cooperate with the Crown. What is proposed now is negotiable, but we ask of you to respect our desire for independence.

We have done a lot for the Kingdom and the Commonwealth, and we respect both sides, however there comes a time where we must address our own needs. We have made sacrifices and worked tirelessly to aid both of you when you needed us, Prince William, and continue to do so to this day. Is our own space to live and consider truly home really too much to ask?"

RE: The Ballad of Inverness (Invite only) - AlphaWolf215 - 08-05-2017

You have sacrificed and worked tirelessly? We were barely fresh out of one war before being plunged into another. Every day I hear of more people lost to the oppressive war machine that is the Gallic Kingdom! We have given you access to our homes. We have refueled and resupplied you where we can, from our own dwindling reserves. We are loosing ground to a war machine that seeks to destroy everything that Bretonia stands for! So yes, perhaps it is much to ask for our allies to take what little we have left!

He stopped, taking breaths to slow his breathing. The eyes in the room on him now. It was a foolish move, to show his emotions so openly, but he hoped, as a result, they would at least feel his pain. He found himself standing, perhaps as a result of the hot rush of emotion, and lowered himself back into his seat, slightly embarrassed.

Forgive my outburst, it is not becoming of someone of my standing, but to all of you I implore you to understand that my heart yearns for the day where Bretonia may prosper once more under its own steam! For the day where Bretonia may stand proud, and continue in its wish to help all to prosper. That is what I hope for. But I also hope you understand Keeper Leviathan, that I have the utmost respect for you, nay, for all of you. You have aided us where you had no reason to, and Bretonia is ever thankful, but I beseech you to understand the difficulty you present us.

He paused for a second, allowing his pleas to sink in before continuing

I share this with you because I respect you all, lord knows how I shall explain this to those back home, but our contingency is an evacuation effort for Her Majesty, Queen Carina. I am not being stubborn out of pride, but because our Armed Forces' combined tactical expertise has decided that, in the event New London is attacked, and I mean a major offensive, our best hope is to extract the Queen to Liberty, where our remaining forces may pool with the Republics in defense of Her. From there, we can strike back, to free our people, and whatever forces remain.

He felt deflated. This wasn't the appropriate time for high emotions, and yet he'd allowed it to spill over. He felt foolish, to say the least

RE: The Ballad of Inverness (Invite only) - Kauket - 08-06-2017

Keeper Revenant bowed her head in respect to his concern, slowly turning it into a nod, understanding his concerns.

"I understand your pain, but Inverness, as dear Leviathan said, has been moving further and further from Bretonia with the anomaly shifts. With such changes, we've also seen the Nomads slowly advancing in the system. It isn't unusual for our ships to be attacked by false Bretonian ships, infected vessels under the Nomads control. Right now, Bretonia isn't going to keep control if the undesirables still linger within. "

She gave a brief pause, looking at him, giving him some time to calm.

"I'm sorry if we offended you. But I can say in reality, that our people will only require Elgin and space around it to develop. We have nowhere else to ideally go. Inverness is still a hidden back passage to Libertonian Space, bypassing the Gallic front lines while also linking to the sidelines of the war front - going directly through Commonwealth space, which would be up to our dear Commonwealth representative here on how Bretonia can evacuate. But the issue remains with the Order's presence, the Gaians larger presence in Vespucci and the Nomads in Inverness. The Western Nebula holds a sanctuary within, while the Eastern contains a Order Battleship. "

She began holding her hands together.

"Understand, we're not trying to take what is yours. Bretonians are our friends and would always be welcomed, war vessel or their personal selfs."

RE: The Ballad of Inverness (Invite only) - Commonwealth of House Liberty - 08-06-2017

Though he hadn't expected for the Prince to show any emotion, the fact that he did showed to McKenna the stress the man must have been under, truly their situation was dire. After a moment of contemplation and waiting for his turn to speak, he decided to address the topic at hand. "Regarding this contingency plan, involving routing of traffic through Vespucci in the event of an evacuation, the Commonwealth is more than willing to allow this, though some protocol must be put in place as it would require active and intensive participation of our forces in carrying out such a high priority relocation. From our end you can expect the utmost in terms of ensuring smoothness of such an operation, but it's important that we understand any specific criteria you might have." This was a sensitive situation, but one that would put the Commonwealth in a favourable diplomatic position with the Kingdom of Bretonia. Resolving to handle this delicately and with a touch of sympathy, he fixed his gaze upon the Prince, awaiting clarification upon the point he raised, if an evacuation was to ever take place, especially one involving the ruling Queen of Bretonia, the Commonwealth had to be very certain that they did not incur any personal liability for failure, due diligence was required, along with a detailed plan of action.

RE: The Ballad of Inverness (Invite only) - The Kingdom of Bretonia - 08-29-2017

Keeper Revenant, I thank you for your understanding. I do not mean to frustrate our friends here, and I thank you for your patience in this delicate matter.

James paused for a second, thinking it over in his head

I believe, Secretary McKenna, that a true break down and organisational plan would have to be discussed by our respective military leaders. I'm sure we can arrange something in the future. That said, with my own military background I would hazard a guess that our main issue is getting Her Majesty as far from the front as fast and safely as possible. As I understand it, and do correct me if I am wrong, once we reach Vespucci, we would be near enough clear of the Gauls, ignoring whatever is chasing from behind. In such a case, we would only require a guide to take us on the fastest route through, whilst the rest of our forces would be able to link with yours in preventing the trailing Gauls from entering Vespucci proper, or at least in pushing them out. I believe this to be our most pressing criteria, but again, the full details would need to be "hashed out" in a later meeting.

His voice lowered, he continued

God forbid it ever happens, but if Bretonia falls, we don't have many options. With enemies currently on all sides, we need our allies more than ever. Please forgive us, Secretary McKenna, for being so bold as to presume you will be okay with this. Perhaps we should have consulted you sooner, a decision for those wiser than I for sure, but I hope that our combined expertise will mean a future for Bretonia. A future for the freedoms and values that we all hold dear, should our darkest day come knocking.

RE: The Ballad of Inverness (Invite only) - Commonwealth of House Liberty - 08-31-2017

Seeing an opportunity for growth and diplomatic relations that would extend far further than just a mere contingency, McKenna put his best foot forward. "For the time being, I would also like to place on the table the offer of trade between the Commonwealth and House Bretonia. A steady flow of goods would be beneficial for both of us in regards to combating threats and sustaining our populations and various economic sectors, it would also be particularly feasible under this new arrangement pertaining to Inverness, a clear logistics path could be established to and fro our territories. On a more pressing note, you can be rest assured that the Commonwealth will be there for you on your 'darkest day', bearing a torch and guiding whomever we can to destinations of greater hope."
In the back of his mind, he thought about how beneficial this would be to the Commonwealth in the long-run and how it would also serve to under-cut the Republic they were at war with. Favour from Bretonia would indeed go a long way in establishing legitimacy, something the hardened populace of the Vespucci system strived for.
With thoughts of greater prosperity in his mind, McKenna leaned forward ever so slightly in his seat, curious how the Prince would respond to this offer.