Discovery Gaming Community
"Butt Cloaking" - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: "Butt Cloaking" (/showthread.php?tid=148799)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: "Butt Cloaking" - Thunderer - 03-18-2017

(03-17-2017, 11:46 PM)hubjump Wrote: how about drop core but have its activate time take seconds not minutes
like 5,or 10
that way,its a re-positioning and retreat tool Smile
no harm done

Disagreed. How to prevent those people from running away to restock? A BS cloak disruptor takes 90 seconds to disrupt again.

RE: "Butt Cloaking" - Vendetta - 03-18-2017

(03-18-2017, 12:38 AM)Thunderer Wrote:
(03-17-2017, 11:46 PM)hubjump Wrote: how about drop core but have its activate time take seconds not minutes
like 5,or 10
no harm done

Disagreed. How to prevent those people from running away to restock? A BS cloak disruptor takes 90 seconds to disrupt again.

The player's cloak is also disrupted for that amount of time and still needs to charge up afterwards to operate.

On topic, though. This is silly.

There's already rules in place that require a specific amount of time between roleplay and engagement. Yes - this includes being cloaked, and it also means you are given that amount of time to move out of the way or get outta there.

Is it possible to survive a buttcloak? Yes. Extremely rare, though.

Frankly, if you're not paying attention to the loud droning sound of the cloak, the player talking to you in chat with the intent to engage, and the scenario going on (Note: Even in fights you should have situational awareness) then that's the buttcloakee's fault, not the buttcloakers. You're given plenty of warning and tools to prevent such from happening.

RE: "Butt Cloaking" - Ruairi - 03-18-2017

Exactly what he said.

RE: "Butt Cloaking" - Hubjump - 03-18-2017

(03-18-2017, 12:38 AM)Thunderer Wrote:
like 5,or 10
no harm done

Then just Decrease Activation time for that too
These things cost hundreds of millions...we want them to work, if someone spent tones on a cloak disrupter, let it work
just raises value and makes them slightly more rare, and feel alot more rewarding

RE: "Butt Cloaking" - Misfit - 03-18-2017

I don't see why cloaks need to be nerfed for literally no reason? Just implement the RP while uncloaked rule if it's really that much of a problem. Don't ruin cloaks for everyone when not everyone is using cloaks as a tool to engage people.

Or just make cloak disruptors cheaper and use an equipment slot lmao.

RE: "Butt Cloaking" - Hubjump - 03-18-2017

(03-18-2017, 02:07 AM)Misfit Wrote: I don't see why cloaks need to be nerfed for literally no reason? Just implement the RP while uncloaked rule if it's really that much of a problem. Don't ruin cloaks for everyone when not everyone is using cloaks as a tool to engage people.

Or just make cloak disruptors cheaper and use an equipment slot lmao.

"not everyone is using cloaks as a tool to engage people." if its not to engage, its to observe...We are talking its general and combat purpose and usage
"why cloaks need to be nerfed for literally no reason?" It's not a nerf (yet?)
"make cloak disruptors cheaper" This would ruin cloaks for everyone, Why spend 500mil on an item that you cant even have fun with or use since you get disrupted

RE: "Butt Cloaking" - diamond1 - 03-18-2017

Cloak disrupters Are an option, why the need to complain when they can be available?

They're not as hard to make as cloaks.

RE: "Butt Cloaking" - ASimpleMan - 03-18-2017

Why can't we all just be friends?

RE: "Butt Cloaking" - nOmnomnOm - 03-18-2017

(03-17-2017, 09:13 PM)Durandal Wrote:
(03-17-2017, 09:11 PM)Thunderer Wrote:
(03-17-2017, 09:04 PM)Durandal Wrote: Just need to make cloak disruptors more readily available/use a slot that doesn't punish you as much for mounting one.

I agree, but I think that the CM slot, which is in use already, is suitable. A cloak takes the same one after all.

A cloak is inherently more useful than a cloak disruptor. That's the issue here. One is useful 100% of the time, and the other is only useful under certain circumstances. I dropped a more detailed post about it in the other thread in the dev forum.

There is no such thing as being useful 100% of the time.
If your opponent has CDs or a cloak disrupted then you are toast.
Not to mention that before when tracking missiles existed, it actually mattered to choose between a CM and a Cloak.

Devs are only making problems for themselves by removing missiles that track in the end. And now you blame cloaks? Big Grin

RE: "Butt Cloaking" - Binski - 03-18-2017

*cracks knuckles*

Since I do still pop on from time to time and still have a close relationship with cloaks, I always have to chime in to defend them. I've watched cloaks change drastically throughout the years. There are plenty of balancing factors in place now that make complaining about being 'buttcloaked' exactly what they complain about, basically being butthurt that you lost. I have observed cloaks be used in attacks and have done so myself. I have never not caught on to a cloaked ship that was about to attack me or another player. They communicate plainly to see in local, and the sound is pretty obvious to detect. There does come a point when you have to turn to some players and say 'oh by the way, when you launch, you are responsible to keep yourself alive', meaning it is up to you to pay attention when you're out there. A properly RP'd declaration is more than enough fair warning you may be attacked, cloaked or not. Part of the allure to cloaks is the element of surprise (which is undeniably limited now), and you can only be fooled that way so many times. Risk varies of course with the different classes of ships but the principle is the same. If the rule is adhered to time wise, it shouldn't matter if you are cloaked or not prior to attack, especially for Nomad and associated players. You have to be prepared for things to happen fast sometimes.