Discovery Gaming Community
Development Notice: Player List - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Development Notice: Player List (/showthread.php?tid=150094)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Development Notice: Player List - Thunderer - 05-07-2017

This is all very bad and it has just given me cancer and Ebola. Auxesia is going to use the list to shadowlog people in Bastille now. The dev team should be replaced with plutonium. It is way more active.

RE: Development Notice: Player List - Sombs - 05-07-2017

(05-07-2017, 01:36 PM)Thunderer Wrote: This is all very bad and it has just given me cancer and Ebola. Auxesia is going to use the list to shadowlog people in Bastille now. The dev team should be replaced with plutonium. It is way more active.

Don't touch your friends.

RE: Development Notice: Player List - Xenon - 05-07-2017

Thanks for your efforts @Alley but why after removing this list then you are adding it again?
Did you fix the problems of shadow logging which depend on this list?
Is there any grantee that the usual trouble makers won't be using this list AGAIN to follow players on the server and shadow log them?
Do you remember those who used to look at the forum players list and then decide if they will login a character or not?

Forgive me for asking all these questions @Alley
It just makes no sense at all to bring back a feature which was 90% of the reasons causing the shadow logging abuse

Cheers,
Xenon

RE: Development Notice: Player List - Valhalla Rising - 05-07-2017

Why is the term shadowlogging gaining traction? Can someone explain it to me

RE: Development Notice: Player List - TheSK - 05-07-2017

(05-07-2017, 08:25 PM)Valhalla Rising Wrote: Why is the term shadowlogging gaining traction? Can someone explain it to me

If my understanding is correct, it's basically the use of the Y menu in game to see an enemy online and swapping to a ship for the sole purpose of pirating or killing that person, and then swapping back to what ever they were doing before hand.

RE: Development Notice: Player List - Operator - 05-07-2017

Praise Alley

RE: Development Notice: Player List - Valhalla Rising - 05-07-2017

And why is it gaining traction? We have used the menu to find interactions in the game, its a core part of the game, and yet someone somehow managed to cry their rears off in order to make it look like its a bad thing. I swear if this shadowlogging thing becomes real, expect a /rant thread.

(05-07-2017, 08:25 PM)Valhalla Rising Wrote: Why is the term shadowlogging gaining traction? Can someone explain it to me

I can explain
If player (A) look on the player list on forums for Player (B) and then found Player (B) at Omicron Beta
Then player (A) login a character at Omicron Beta or close and start hunting Player (B)
Then player (B) leave the server or switch after a while and log a new character, for example at Liberty space this time
So player (A) check the player list again and find that Player (B) is using a new character but it's in Liberty space now
So player (A) switch and login a new character to keep hunting player (B) even on a new character

This is a small example to explain one style of abusing this feature
There are other ways, which are different in examples but typical in abusing the player list on forums.

People already do that in game to find interactions, which is also against the idea of patrolling. Because since they find players by looking at the players list, then they will never patrol an area looking for victims or enemies because they simply will look at the players list in-game and find the nickname they want to hunt..... This is in-game, So imagine if discovery now giving them the option to do that without even logging to the server .... ! All they need to do is to look at the players list on forums and if their victims are online, then they will login a character very close to their enemy location and start hunting them

The problem coming out from that is that those who get constantly shadow logged, gets bored after a while and most likely leave the server
This is not in the server activity favor at all.
I hope my explaining helped.

RE: Development Notice: Player List - sindroms - 05-07-2017

Removing the server online list did not result in any change of the types of sanction reports we get. As such - the experiment is done and it is being added back.

(05-07-2017, 08:38 PM)sindroms Wrote: Removing the server online list did not result in any change of the types of sanction reports we get. As such - the experiment is done and it is being added back.

It might not add much now, but it definitely decreased the chances of shadow logging when the list was not on forums
This player list on forums might look nice and give a nice fancy addition to the website here, but it harms the game 100% @sindroms
Simply because it will be used 100% to track players without even logging to the game

It might add some activity and make people login from the administrators prospective about it but from the other side, it will increase horribly the amount of shadow logging