Discovery Gaming Community
Development Notice: Player List - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Development Notice: Player List (/showthread.php?tid=150094)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Development Notice: Player List - Valhalla Sr. - 05-07-2017

@Xenon That's just being outright cancerous and has nothing to do with the term shadowlogging. People did it earlier aswell, but now that the server is emptier, people try harder to find others to interact with. I doubt anyone in their conscious mind would do it but still. It gained way too much traction and now everyone and their mothers will complain about it.

This is why we can't have nice things anymore.

RE: Development Notice: Player List - Xenon - 05-07-2017

(05-07-2017, 09:02 PM)Zhe Boss Wrote: @Xenon That's just being outright cancerous and has nothing to do with the term shadowlogging. People did it earlier aswell, but now that the server is emptier, people try harder to find others to interact with. I doubt anyone in their conscious mind would do it but still. It gained way too much traction and now everyone and their mothers will complain about it.

This is why we can't have nice things anymore.

I understand when you say the server is emptier. What i am talking about is one of the reasons why the server is emptier. The shadow logging thing is being happening since the beginning of the game actually because of the in-game player's list. IF we remove it, then it will affect the population of the server severely because people already depend on it 100% to find interaction. We should have removed it long time ago before the majority starts to already depend on it 100% but that's something we cannot do now, and we can't go back in time.

What i am talking about is why we increase the problem by creating a new one, that allow the people now to see the list without even logging to the game? Can't you see that this move helps a lot in increasing the amount of shadow logging others and repelling them off the server? Think about it Wink xD

Cheers,
Xenon

Shadowlogging is a made up term, first of all.

The player list helps people find interaction, and it has been put there in order to do so. I'd rather see where I can find interactions and log a ship nearby (not explicitly in the same system) and try to RP with said person. It goes from person to person on how they're gonna use such an ability, but in my case, and most cases around, it's used to find RP. How that RP folds out is another thing. So, shadowlogging, a term with no meaning.

If you can give me a case of one person being "shadowlogged" on all their characters, I will try to rethink of my opinion about it.

RE: Development Notice: Player List - Dave Synk - 05-07-2017

This is very useful because, believe it or not, many people's activity/logging ingame depends on the playerbase server-side. So it's very useful to see how many are online again.

RE: Development Notice: Player List - Xenon - 05-07-2017

(05-07-2017, 10:03 PM)Zhe Boss Wrote: If you can give me a case of one person being "shadowlogged" on all their characters, I will try to rethink of my opinion about it.

I can't explain it in a better way so i have nothing else to say
If you want to see lots of examples, then the only ones that can show you that are the admins.
They receive those tons of reports about it.

RE: Development Notice: Player List - Dave Synk - 05-07-2017

(05-07-2017, 10:18 PM)Xenon Wrote:
(05-07-2017, 10:03 PM)Zhe Boss Wrote: If you can give me a case of one person being "shadowlogged" on all their characters, I will try to rethink of my opinion about it.

I can't explain it in a better way so i have nothing else to say
If you want to see lots of examples, then the only ones that can show you that are the admins.
They receive those tons of reports about it.

I've noticed that most people that report such things are over-sensitive pricks who can't enjoy a loss in the game. If there is an abusive pattern, it's kinda clear.

RE: Development Notice: Player List - Sombs - 05-07-2017

I doubt that shadowlogging is about cases without patterns, though. I mean, when you realize that you have more fun on random-name indies than on publicly known assets, either with a name that indicates you being the person behind it or a tag that just yells for "I'M IN HOSTILE TERRITORY, YOU NEED TO GET ME!!".

That pattern is becoming problematic when people don't bother logging quality characters with personality, because they know they trigger people that arrive either from a long way for you or just have assets everywhere. It's a problem when you know your logging is causing self-fulfilling prophecy.

In some cases, it is a problem.

Like I said, you need to rub 2 braincells together in order to realize what is actually done.

There's perhaps one or two people who are genuinely mad at another person, group, or faction, and in order to fulfill their daily dose of shitting on another persons day, they'll log for the sole purpose of killing them. That does not define the term shadowlogging, and should not be thrown around like I see it has been in the past few weeks, or months.

This issue has been around since the early days of Discovery, and there's only one thing you can do to stop it. You feel like you're being purposely killed by the same group of players? There's admins to help you out with it. One person's actions should be defining what goes in the mod or not. We all suffer the consequences of certain players because of abuse of the games mechanics

(inb4 BW posts about DPC)

RE: Development Notice: Player List - Sombs - 05-07-2017

(05-07-2017, 10:30 PM)Zhe Boss Wrote: This issue has been around since the early days of Discovery, and there's only one thing you can do to stop it. You feel like you're being purposely killed by the same group of players? There's admins to help you out with it. One person's actions should be defining what goes in the mod or not. We all suffer the consequences of certain players because of abuse of the games mechanics

Have fun gathering evidence for that. Screenshots aren't really telling much here, video recordings would end up in the duration of hours. No green will bother to watch it. That is the other problem about it.

That's why you need to take a chill pill, relax, and exit the game. There's a ton of other things to do around, don't you think?