Discovery Gaming Community
Help with FL Model Tool Resizer - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Help with FL Model Tool Resizer (/showthread.php?tid=153803)

Help with FL Model Tool Resizer - Sombs - 09-22-2017

I have a problem with the FL Model Tool Resizer. Basically, what I am trying to do is resizing space_arch_chunk1a to make it two times bigger. Here is what I do:

- Opening FLModelTool v1.0a Beta 6
- Open space_arch_chunk1a.3db
- Resize it by factor 2.0
- Save it as space_arch_chunk1ax2.cmp

- Switch to SUR tab
- Open space_arch_chunk1a.sur
- Resize it by factor 2.0 (or automatic to cmp) in any of the three options (scenery, weapon/ammo/damage object/ ship/station) with and without "Make all components part of hull"
- Save it as space_arch_chunk1ax2.sur

- Adding the new stuff to solararch.ini, etc.

Problem:

[Image: mgf409z.png]

As you can see, the resized model completely spazzes out. On that screenshot, I tried it with three versions, by factor 2, factor 3 and factor 5. They have all been resized via the original model and not from each other. That being said, whatever option I choose to resize the model, it ends up spazzing out like this.

Do I need to do something else or does this just not work with this .3db file as it is not a .cmp file? (The tool can open up 3db files as by default.) Note that it is only the lower part of the model that spazzes out. The "surface" part of the model seems to remain intact while obviously not even being resized.

RE: Help with FL Model Tool Resizer - Sombs - 09-22-2017

Are there any alternatives to this tool, by the way?

RE: Help with FL Model Tool Resizer - Sombs - 10-03-2017

Bump?

RE: Help with FL Model Tool Resizer - eigos - 10-03-2017

Convert the .3db to an .obj (or any other format that can be opened by your 3d program) using Milkshape. Blender works fine most of the time, resizing takes 2 seconds.
Re-export to OBJ (careful with the options tho) and import into Milkshape.
Export as .3db again (or .cmp) and done.

EDIT: Reason for spazzing out like this is the fact that there are duplicate verts all over this model (and every other FL model) and some of the tris are unwelded, so scaling sometimes produces crap like this.

Does this affect the texture meshes?

It worked for me in the past, when I was asked to smooth out an asteroid by Cameron. After re-exporting, it just worked.

Will give it a try. If it doesn't work, I'll enslave you to do it for me, though. No excuses this time.

[Image: obj_settings.jpg]

Those^ are my OBJ export settings. I use 3ds Max 2008 to make CMP's. If you don't have it, try Milkshape. Should work.