Discovery Gaming Community
Cramped Forum - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Site & Forum Feedback (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Cramped Forum (/showthread.php?tid=156672)

Pages: 1 2 3

Cramped Forum - Naethel Bane - 12-27-2017

the game is great but this forum...

maybe it's just me but I find it so cramped with info spread all over... for a newbie like myself it's so hard to navigate and find what I'm after with same topics spread in different places ...
just spent half an hour looking for the post I made to join a faction - to no avail.

why not have for instance all faction related stuff under one roof, tech under one roof, game identity / rules under one roof, etc, etc...

as it stands list of factions are in several places, factions recruitment another, rp another... doesn't it make more sense to have ALL pertaining to a specific faction in one place under the same roof?
this way in one glance people can see how active the faction is, their ships, bases, RP, members, etc...

and in a more global way with one single glance see how many factions there are.

RE: Cramped Forum - Erik-Kieber - 12-27-2017

You mean this? https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=148

Its at the main page *laughs*

RE: Cramped Forum - Laz - 12-27-2017

If you want a generic list of stuff to look at, look at this.

RE: Cramped Forum - Naethel Bane - 12-28-2017

@ kruger, what you posted is still a mess!
@ Laz, no mate, this still doesn't streamline the blob of repetitive info this forum puts you thru.

RE: Cramped Forum - Megaera - 12-28-2017

I never had issues in finding anything...

RE: Cramped Forum - Vexykin - 12-28-2017

You might want to check Forum categories to find your desired info.
I get that navigating as a newbie can be hard to understand, but you'll get used to it. And if you ever find yourself stuck you can ask over shoutbox or Help Section in the forums and other players can help you out.
In the meantime try to get used to the Forums as this is a Roleplaying server, it comes with tons of info and rules, to keep it's Roleplaying atmosphere.

Every section has a different category. I'll list them here in chronological order and see if you get what i mean:

Newcomer's Section

Discovery HQ

Discovery Role-Playing

Factions

Discovery RP 24/7 Hub

Discovery Freelancer Mod

The Community

RE: Cramped Forum - Karlotta - 12-29-2017

(12-27-2017, 12:25 PM)Naethel Bane Wrote: the game is great but this forum...

maybe it's just me but I find it so cramped with info spread all over... for a newbie like myself it's so hard to navigate and find what I'm after with same topics spread in different places ...
just spent half an hour looking for the post I made to join a faction - to no avail.

why not have for instance all faction related stuff under one roof, tech under one roof, game identity / rules under one roof, etc, etc...

as it stands list of factions are in several places, factions recruitment another, rp another... doesn't it make more sense to have ALL pertaining to a specific faction in one place under the same roof?
this way in one glance people can see how active the faction is, their ships, bases, RP, members, etc...

and in a more global way with one single glance see how many factions there are.

The point of horrible forum layout has been raised by multiple people over the years on the forum as well as ingame. Months ago I suggested (not for the first time) a tiny basic no-brainer cleanup (which would have been a small but easy step in the right direction https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=154382&pid=1935905#pid1935905) to get things a little easier to find. But even that was too much to ask, apparently. Making the categories more logical and less numerous would also be necessary but that would require a certain amount of work.

It seems mods and devs just dont care enough to do anything because they personally already know the whole forum by heart anyway, and they're menatlly unable to put themselves into the shoes of someone who doesnt. Either that or there's some mysterious and secret reason why it's absolutely impossible to follow even the most basic rules of not-totally-stupid layout on the forum, which they wont share. Or there is just no-one that feels responsible for it, and no-one that feels responsible for making someone responsible.

Meanwhile, while we wait a few more years for someone to do something about the horrible forum layout (it took 2 years to link the server rules on the first page instead of making people click through 3 pages with 30+ links each to find them), we can use the search function in the hope of finding anything.

RE: Cramped Forum - Alex. - 12-29-2017

(12-29-2017, 01:58 AM)Karlotta Wrote: It seems mods and devs just dont care enough to do anything
What exactly do you think we should be doing as devs and mods? It's mostly not our decision. Devs probably have some say over the dev forums but no direct control, and mods can ask the admins to make forum changes just like you can. Speaking of which, I've been thinking of seeing if we can get that "Faction section moderation requests" thread split into moderation vs. administration.

(12-29-2017, 01:58 AM)Karlotta Wrote: because they personally already know the whole forum by heart anyway
I frequently find myself having to dig up stuff buried in the forums.

RE: Cramped Forum - Karlotta - 12-29-2017

(12-29-2017, 02:15 AM)Alex. Wrote: What exactly do you think we should be doing as devs and mods? It's mostly not our decision.

I'm not saying every dev or mod is responsible for this.

But SOMEONE must be.

It HAS to be SOMEONE'S decision.

So who?

RE: Cramped Forum - Alley - 12-29-2017

(12-29-2017, 02:50 AM)Karlotta Wrote:
(12-29-2017, 02:15 AM)Alex. Wrote: What exactly do you think we should be doing as devs and mods? It's mostly not our decision.

I'm not saying every dev or mod is responsible for this.

But SOMEONE must be.

It HAS to be SOMEONE'S decision.

So who?

https://discoverygc.com/forums/showteam.php
Only admins can do this stuff.