Discovery Gaming Community
Battlecruisers - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Battlecruisers (/showthread.php?tid=158824)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Battlecruisers - SCEC - 03-07-2018

I flied battlecruisers pre-4.89 and they had their niche in the fleet: so slow and big to out-maneuvre a cruiser, yet compact enough to fight a BS, having a few BS guns to have the range. They used to be called "BS killers" because in skilled hands it indeed was able to take down a BS.

After the patch, BC got boost to survivability, own guns and HUGE model (which in some cases is almost equal to small BS). There is no more point in maneuvring - you model is too big and range is too short. BC can not outtank a BS (logically as it should be), but due to short range is incapable of fighting it at all (BC mortar range is enough for BS to hit with primary turrets). BC now is even less capable against cruisers since its model is too big and the range is almost identical to a cruiser.

The question is: what is the niche of BC now? They don't perform well against either BS or Cruisers, it is easy to hit with anything due to huge model and its survivability (although increased) is just garbage.

I am a PvE player so I am not really complaining, rather willing to understand the idea behind updated BC'ers. So far my experience with Coalition BC is rather terrible (useless frontal guns, only two heavy slots and HUGE, although nice-looking, model).

Maybe there it would be valid to return those two BS slots for a BC to provide it some range against BS?

RE: Battlecruisers - TheShooter36 - 03-07-2018

They can still kill BS s (at least somehow i can brawl against them at their prim range). They are mainly supposed to be cruiser hunters but they kinda fail at the job.

RE: Battlecruisers - SCEC - 03-07-2018

I have just been fighting a Legate with a Hurricane. Basically, his prime guns have range by far longer (600 m) than my mortar. Taking into consideration the rate of fire and insanely big model of a BC, it is not very difficult for him to hit. The safe range is somewhere like 3k, from where I can shoot only my pulses or FW guns. In case of the latter, I have to strafe and lose any ability to dodge. Just useless.

RE: Battlecruisers - Sombs - 03-07-2018

I feel like this is an extremely big problem for the Hurricane because of the only situationally good FWGs. It's sort of a very weird thing to have on a ship that is used to exceed at a different combat style than melee. The FWGs sort of took away space for other, more helpful balancing ratios.

(03-07-2018, 10:42 AM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: I feel like this is an extremely big problem for the Hurricane because of the only situationally good FWGs. It's sort of a very weird thing to have on a ship that is used to exceed at a different combat style than melee. The FWGs sort of took away space for other, more helpful balancing ratios.

Yup, something like that. We found use for them, too. If you put two Red Hessian FWG on a hurricane, it can deliver a single punch of 1.44 million damage. But it requires good teamplay for you to aim. At any rate, BC is TOO BIG as for its damage output. Maybe, Geb can argue with 5 Heavy Slots, but not Hurricane. I see no reason in devs leaving only 2 heavy slots of Hurricane.

I think that in order to return to BC its niche it is worth considering returning BCs two BS weapons slot. Like, primary turrets with 11k hull damage and good range of 3k. Can't see how it will be OP.

RE: Battlecruisers - TheShooter36 - 03-07-2018

Hurricane excels at group fight where you have more than 3 plus battleships to support them. Or act as support with one in a fleet battle

(03-07-2018, 10:56 AM)TheShooter36 Wrote: Hurricane excels at group fight where you have more than 3 plus battleships to support them. Or act as support with one in a fleet battle

Nigh impossible to collect such a fleet for the Coalition. Indies are not allowed BS, "Tempests" are driven out only on holidays, so BC has to serve as a flagship, which is usually targeted first. IMAO, for Coalition PvP it is always better to take a wolfpack of Typhoons with their sleek design.

RE: Battlecruisers - Kyoi - 03-07-2018

I kind of agree with you. Most cruisers have very slim profiles at the back and they can dodge BC guns easily anyway. It feels like your opponents have to make mistakes that you need to capitalise on or you lose. I'm mostly using BC the same way as a cruiser in group fights, as they can still be positioned and supported well and they have more core/dps than a normal cruiser.

RE: Battlecruisers - Domino.Harvy - 03-07-2018

They are still good and able to kill everything(but not GB). Practice+correctly chosen setup will help you in any situation.
Also bc pulses buff in last patch, should make pvp with bs more easily.

The.Houston

RE: Battlecruisers - Mr.Mike. - 03-07-2018

(03-07-2018, 12:02 PM)Domino.Harvy Wrote: They are still good and able to kill everything(but not GB). Practice+correctly chosen setup will help you in any situation.

The.Houston

There was already a desire to again arrange a meeting with you in Conn.

But, in general, Domino is right - experience decides. You know how to play - this type of ship will be the golden mean for you. Do not know how - perish in the first seconds. As for PvE - there is only the use of the right weapon and the correct setting of the keyboard.