Discovery Gaming Community
Hardpoints on Fighters - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Hardpoints on Fighters (/showthread.php?tid=160902)

Hardpoints on Fighters - Belco - 05-08-2018

Thought I'd try join back in after a while off - I think I last played in 4.85. I'm having trouble trying to find Dev updates and threads as to exactly how fighters changed (yes i'm using search and the wiki). My confusion stems from equipping ships and right now (started again a week ago), I don't have enough credits to experiment with multiple ships and loadouts myself.
  • What happened to the Torp/CD slot? did sunkiller tops get dropped in favor of fitting fighter missiles in there? does anyone use them, or it is just a mini razer slot? Does this mean LF's cant fit missiles anymore?

• It seems all fighters, LF/HF/VHF, mount the same guns with the exception of Codenames, which are exclusive to VHF's and maybe a couple of HF's. I've found the Jackdaw has class 9 codename mounts, are there any other LF/HF's with class 9's which are generic ID appropriate?

• Did all the thruster upgrades get dropped besides the cheetah? ie. no advanced/deluxe thruster. If they exist I haven't found them. similarly, one level of fighter armour upgrade as well? I looted an armour upgrade 2 on a wreck in liberty, but it's awful by comparison and might be a mistake.

• What are the different CD's and CM's used for? the info cards on them are clear as mud about their purpose.

Sorry for the quantity of questions, as I said, I searched, but only half of all thread titles on this forum match their content. I also don't want anyone to assume it's a complaint and i'm wishing for some "good old days" I'm ecstatic the server is still here are there have been fantastic improvements from what I've seen.

RE: Hardpoints on Fighters - Corile - 05-08-2018

(05-08-2018, 02:11 PM)Belco Wrote: What happened to the Torp/CD slot? did sunkiller tops get dropped in favor of fitting fighter missiles in there? does anyone use them, or it is just a mini razer slot? Does this mean LF's cant fit missiles anymore?

Missiles, CDs, mini razor and Maxim got merged all under one CD slot. Torps were removed from the game.

(05-08-2018, 02:11 PM)Belco Wrote: It seems all fighters, LF/HF/VHF, mount the same guns with the exception of Codenames, which are exclusive to VHF's and maybe a couple of HF's. I've found the Jackdaw has class 9 codename mounts, are there any other LF/HF's with class 9's which are generic ID appropriate?

Jackdaw is the only civilian HF that can mount codenames. LFs from what I remember have their own codename class.

Quote:Did all the thruster upgrades get dropped besides the cheetah? ie. no advanced/deluxe thruster. If they exist I haven't found them. similarly, one level of fighter armour upgrade as well? I looted an armour upgrade 2 on a wreck in liberty, but it's awful by comparison and might be a mistake

A short while ago all fighter armours and thrusters got standardised. The old ones are still in the game but they aren't purchaseable.

Quote:What are the different CD's and CM's used for? the info cards on them are clear as mud about their purpose.
Wasp - killing capship missiles, intercepting on light fighters, generally just 'support CD', 140 ammo, does a garbage job at blowing up nukes
Hornet - dumbfire cd with long range, never used it
Mosquito - snub pvp (90 ammo)
Train - the overall good cd, also good if you want to have a LF that's only intercepting (70? ammo)
Reinforced - cd to mount on capships

Differences between CMs are much less pronounced and they aren't that different from each other.

RE: Hardpoints on Fighters - Belco - 05-08-2018

(05-08-2018, 02:25 PM)Corile Wrote: ~

Thanks very much for the summary! Sounds like a lot of simplifications, apart from the CD's, but i can see what the value is of the Mosquito's extra explosion radius now.
I had a lot of love for the fighter torps, they were more gimmicky than useful. Going to have to work on my razor hits now.

RE: Hardpoints on Fighters - Sand_Spider - 05-08-2018

The Cannonball missile is more or less the closest thing we have to a tracking-style fighter torpedo. Their tracking speed is low, but it definitely hurts to get hit by one. I do profess I kind of miss the old fighter torpedoes, back when you could still mount those in combination with a missile. Nailing someone with both a Cannonball and Starkiller simultaneously was nasty.