Discovery Gaming Community
Admin/Dev Suggestions to Increase GRN Participation - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Admin/Dev Suggestions to Increase GRN Participation (/showthread.php?tid=161702)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Admin/Dev Suggestions to Increase GRN Participation - Lythrilux - 06-03-2018

So it seems like encounters with Gallia tend to go like this:
  • A. Generally balanced sides. In the majority of cases, GRN is only up against a single ID. It can go either way.
  • B. BAF/CR/LN combined forces curb-stomp Gallia with overwhelming force.

I don't know if it's because of playerbase differences, or because of the introduction of new ship types for the Sirian side, but it's starting to feel like B is becoming more and more frequent.

Now, this isn't a thread complaining about the ganking being done by people, because that's based on human factors that can't reliably be dealt with. Unfortunately, we'll always have "le DELETGALLIA XD" dumb dumbs who'll undoubtedly always try to ruin things for everyone involved. Instead, I want to suggest constructive gameplay solutions to increase the participation of players on the Gallic side.

During the rush to create a few MRG| ships, there are several problems I have noticed with the way Gallic Royal Navy character creation is currently setup compared to other Military factions, and why/what I think needs to change:

The Restart
The restart isn't optimal. The Tau-23 restart is halfway between Gallia and Bretonia, but the vast majority of GRN activity occurs in Bretonia. And even if stuff does happen in Gallia, or even the Taus themselves (which are mostly dead these days) it's still really not optimal. GRN ship creation takes too long as a result, compared to i.e BAF in which you can set up a ship without even leaving New London/Manchester.

Gallic Caps
The worst offender, Making Gallic caps [for the frontline] is a massive pain. You restart in Tau-23, have to fly all the way to Burgundy, then fly all the way down to Leeds. That's at least eight jumps before you can even begin being part of the action. I'll reiterate the same point as above, that the creation of ships in other militaries is far easier (i.e Core caps can all be bought one jump away from the restart).

Solution
  • Admins: Create two GRN restarts: one in Gallia (i.e /restart GaNavyCo - Gallic Navy Core Worlds) and one in Leeds (i.e /restarts GaNavyFr - Gallic Navy Frontline). This will massively speed up ship creation, and perhaps encourage additional activity in Gallia itself as a result
  • Devs: Create a sell point for GRN caps in Leeds. It needs to be in the same system, so that players can have as little hassle as possible when it comes to cap creation. This base should sell the Battleship, Battlecruiser and Destroyer. I'd also suggest adding the Gallic Gunboat to an existing base in Leeds.
  • BONUS SUGGESTION: Temporarily reduce the price of Gallic caps by up to half to encourage people to make ships. It'd be like a sale.

RE: Admin/Dev Suggestions to Increase GRN Participation - Thunderer - 06-03-2018

I agree with that, including the BONUS SUGGESTION. Accent on the "temporarily". I will add some things, too.

It is obvious that 1 House, which is also unpopular due to being the great antagonist, is fighting 2 Houses and 1 wannabe-House. The GRN has always been low on members, and the BAF has subjected it to defibrillators a number of times because the BAF is dependent on the GRN, as the Corsairs and the Hessians raid rarely, and the Mollies/Gaians practically don't exist (and are being made peace with anyways). The creation of the MRG|, after the GRN| had died, was initiated by the playerbase of the BAF|. And yet the fact that life had to be pumped in multiple times tells something: as it is, the GRN can't sustain itself. At least half of the MRG|/GRN indies are BAF players, who had rather log as BAF in battles, so it's hard to make balanced encounters.

You might be wondering, why don't we tell people to switch? We did before. Every time some of us switched, a number of GRN indies would get encouraged, and suddenly the GRN would get a gank fleet. And then our own guys would gank each other, and sometimes end up angry with each other. Or the battle would turn into a switchfest. This is why the HC of the BAF has banned switching once our fleet is already in enemy territory.

The BAF players would like to play as BAF a bit, for a change, but the lack of GRN players does not allow them that.

RE: Admin/Dev Suggestions to Increase GRN Participation - TheShooter36 - 06-03-2018

I agree with all too, the fact is, CR is pretty much dependant on GRN/MRG as welli as Outcasts rarely Show up. And some of the CR players are BAF too, that makes it a bit of messy of course. But think of it. If we were to step out of fights each time BAF and MRG fought, we would die of inactivity as well or be a boring trading only faction that contributes nothing to server and community. Nowadays i am hardly sustaining the faction to be honest, due to several factors including lack of enemies. I hope you see this side of coin as much as we see your side.

RE: Admin/Dev Suggestions to Increase GRN Participation - Karlotta - 06-03-2018

The issue goes far, far deeper than the speed of char creation. To make Gallia more attractive for players, there need to be:

- More things to do than raid Bretonia. That's accomplished by expanding ZOIs of faction like Outcast, CR, and BAF (bordering adversaries) into Galllia. (possibly also expand gallic faction ZOIs but I dont know much about those)

- Faster travel into Gallia. That's accomplished by making jumpgate (and trade lanes, but that takes more work) connections so that Gallia is shorter/faster to travel through.

- Easier identification/RP with Gallic chars. That's accomplished by making the lore more accessible and the factions easier to relate to.

- More recruitment efforts by Gallia, and more tolerance of non-pro players in Gallia. Until now I didnt even know you were in need of more numbers. There were many different kinds of gallic factions ranging from we-dont-want-you-on-our-side l33t (GRN) and /1 /2 engabung factions that people wanted to die (RNS and CCCP), which played more against each other more than with each other. If someone had said "please join Gallia we need more numbers and we'll treat you with respect of you do" I'd gladly join, but I dont recall them clearly sending that message. In the fight today I didnt know which side to join because I didnt know who was winning, so I joined the BAF side because I had better interaction experiences with them.

- More players on the server. That's accomplished by finally taking basic steps to make the game more attractive for noobs (yes I'm repeating myself). Unless you do that, there's no point in doing a "we need more peeps for our particular faction" in any faction, because almost all of them need more peeps.

RE: Admin/Dev Suggestions to Increase GRN Participation - Thunderer - 06-03-2018

(06-03-2018, 10:17 PM)TheShooter36 Wrote: I dont wanna fight against your OP Kirks pls.

That's why you need to get drunk to declare war, and that's why you need to worry about the consequences later!

PS:

(06-03-2018, 10:18 PM)Karlotta Wrote: - More recruitment efforts by Gallia, and more tolerance of non-pro players in Gallia. Until now I didnt even know you were in need of more numbers. There were many different kinds of gallic factions ranging from we-dont-want-you-on-our-side l33t (GRN) and /1 /2 engabung factions that people wanted to die (RNS and CCCP), which played more against each other more than with each other. If someone had said "please join Gallia we need more numbers and we'll treat you with respect of you do" I'd gladly join, but I dont recall them clearly sending that message. In the fight today I didnt know which side to join because I didnt know who was winning, so I joined the BAF side because I had better interaction experiences with them.

I think that Gallia has resolved this more or less. The MRG| is a much more, er... playful or playable with faction, let's say. More friendly. I think that @Lanakov is doing the job better than any GRN leader before him, except @Ramke of course, but Ramke is a goddess. I think that the main problem is "identification/RP with Gallic chars", as you've mentioned. No one likes antagonists. That is why the Kusari-Bretonia war was balanced better (albeit not perfectly either), as well as the Liberty-Rheinland war, and this is why I expect the Kusari-Rheinland war to be balanced. The casus belli is more relatable.

RE: Admin/Dev Suggestions to Increase GRN Participation - Kazinsal - 06-03-2018

(06-03-2018, 10:18 PM)Karlotta Wrote: - More players on the server. That's accomplished by finally taking basic steps to make the game more attractive for noobs (yes I'm repeating myself). Unless you do that, there's no point in doing a "we need more peeps for our particular faction" in any faction, because almost all of them need more peeps.

I think this is one of the biggest problems specifically and we probably need a complete overhaul of how the game exists and one gets into it from the perspective of someone who's been burned by the empty void of Elite Dangerous or their empty wallet from Star Citizen, but this is a whole different thread and I'm not even sure what the solution to that is that doesn't put is in the "we're not even trying to pretend what we're doing isn't vaguely illegal" zone of wrapping the whole game up in a single package not dependent on a Freelancer install at all.

Also +1 for the MRG| being a very good faction. I'd join it myself but I'm not big on joining factions where there'd be potential for conflict of interest with the faction(s) I run.

RE: Admin/Dev Suggestions to Increase GRN Participation - Lythrilux - 06-03-2018

(06-03-2018, 10:18 PM)Karlotta Wrote: The issue goes far, far deeper than the speed of char creation. To make Gallia more attractive for players, there need to be:

This isn't about making Gallia as a whole more active. This is about GRN, which has more immediate and easier solutions for fixing things. Gallia itself is a bigger, more complicated issue.

I will say however...

(06-03-2018, 10:18 PM)Karlotta Wrote: - More recruitment efforts by Gallia, and more tolerance of non-pro players in Gallia. Until now I didnt even know you were in need of more numbers. There were many different kinds of gallic factions ranging from we-dont-want-you-on-our-side l33t (GRN) and /1 /2 engabung factions that people wanted to die (RNS and CCCP), which played more against each other more than with each other. If someone had said "please join Gallia we need more numbers and we'll treat you with respect of you do" I'd gladly join, but I dont recall them clearly sending that message. In the fight today I didnt know which side to join because I didnt know who was winning, so I joined the BAF side because I had better interaction experiences with them.

This isn't true at all. The Gallic factions today (and I can certainly vouch for MRG| who have also done lots of non-PvP RP) are the polar opposite of elitists, or toxic, and are always (desperately) looking for people to join them. This is 2018, not 2013.

(06-03-2018, 10:19 PM)Thunderer Wrote: I think that the main problem is "identification/RP with Gallic chars", as you've mentioned. No one likes antagonists.

This is a big overall issue tbh and I can relate to it as a Core/Antagonist faction lead (gibe indies). I would say GRN has it worst though, especially since even the PvP element isn't easily accessible.

(06-03-2018, 10:40 PM)Kazinsal Wrote: Also +1 for the MRG| being a very good faction. I'd join it myself but I'm not big on joining factions where there'd be potential for conflict of interest with the faction(s) I run.

I think it's good to join factions with whom your interest conflicts. Shows you the other side of the picture.

RE: Admin/Dev Suggestions to Increase GRN Participation - Vulkhard Muller - 06-03-2018

(06-03-2018, 10:18 PM)Karlotta Wrote: The issue goes far, far deeper than the speed of char creation. To make Gallia more attractive for players, there need to be:

- More things to do than raid Bretonia. That's accomplished by expanding ZOIs of faction like Outcast, CR, and BAF (bordering adversaries) into Galllia. (possibly also expand gallic faction ZOIs but I dont know much about those)

- Faster travel into Gallia. That's accomplished by making jumpgate (and trade lanes, but that takes more work) connections so that Gallia is shorter/faster to travel through.

- Easier identification/RP with Gallic chars. That's accomplished by making the lore more accessible and the factions easier to relate to.

- More recruitment efforts by Gallia, and more tolerance of non-pro players in Gallia. Until now I didnt even know you were in need of more numbers. There were many different kinds of gallic factions ranging from we-dont-want-you-on-our-side l33t (GRN) and /1 /2 engabung factions that people wanted to die (RNS and CCCP), which played more against each other more than with each other. If someone had said "please join Gallia we need more numbers and we'll treat you with respect of you do" I'd gladly join, but I dont recall them clearly sending that message. In the fight today I didnt know which side to join because I didnt know who was winning, so I joined the BAF side because I had better interaction experiences with them.

- More players on the server. That's accomplished by finally taking basic steps to make the game more attractive for noobs (yes I'm repeating myself). Unless you do that, there's no point in doing a "we need more peeps for our particular faction" in any faction, because almost all of them need more peeps.

I'd like to add the note of more smuggling opportunities, it has been shown in the past when routes are properly profitable to Gallia ( and something comes from Gallia back to the general area) it will encourage traders which lures in pirates thus the cycle continues. Additionally smuggling into Gallia. Artifacts/Xeno Relics would be perfect for that role seeing as their literally on opposite ends of the map. And it wouldn't be a hard thing to see Gallia despite being friendly with the corsairs to one extent or another to still restrict them to only being hauled by certain groups.

RE: Admin/Dev Suggestions to Increase GRN Participation - Wesker - 06-03-2018

Give muskets 700ms