Discovery Gaming Community
Faction rules change - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Faction rules change (/showthread.php?tid=1835)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Faction rules change - Igiss - 10-30-2006

As we have alot of empty systems now, why not allow all factions to have systems, no matter with whom they are affiliated and no matter what members they have?

The faction rules will be simplified then, for example, everyone will be able to join more than one system-owning faction if policy of faction allows this. Cost of one system will also be same for all factions and for all systems. For example, 250 million.

I'm doing this because many active factions are unvilling to get a system due to complexities connected with owning one. Main problem is that they'll have to expel everyone who's already part of another system-owning faction. Removing the difference between S-O and non-S-O seems quite fair, since faction leaders could still restrict their members from joining other factions.

'Properly' aligned factions (current system-owners) will still get a number of benefits. For example, they will have guardians to defend their system, as well as advanced stations.

I need your opinions on this. Next step (logically) is to allow custom system editing and posting a highly detailed tutorial on how to edit.

Faction rules change - McNeo - 10-30-2006

cool.......now the PMG can buy Tau 37.

I think personally, that this is a very good step forward. I never really understood why a person could only join one system owning faction. But never mind about that.

I am the biggest noob at making systems and things like that so IMO a tutorial will be very good. If i get totally confused (chances are that i will), then i hope sombody in the sso| knows how to edit :P .

Faction rules change - romer - 10-30-2006

There's certainly plenty of systems to go around. It sounds like a good idea, and allowing custom design of systems would defintely add to the 'wonderous variety' of Discovery. However, there should be some sort of 'checks and balances' or someone to proofread the designs. Otherwise you might have people adding in highly profitable in-system trade/mining.

Designs will be added by me anyway, so quality standards will be followed.

I'm also considering possibility of charging in-game money for system designs. Maybe even real money, for designing a system is a complicated process, but that's for future consideration. As for in-game money, it's simple,.. pay someone who can make systems (Angel for example) a billion, send him/her a drawing or something of the system you want, and get a completed system for next version.

Faction rules change - marauder - 10-30-2006

EDIT: Just seen igiss's last post, oopsy :D

Anyhow, I had a thought, is there going to be a limit on how many systems can be purchased?

As in one-system per faction?

Otherwise we'll end up with a 'we own half of sirus, we're the best!' faction again.

For now, it's one system per one faction.

I already updated the server rules (this made em a bit shorter). I also made a small amendment regarding IDs, so that they could be bought after level 40, not 35. As you see, I'm intended to give players a little more freedom.

Another amendment is about number of active players required for affiliation, now it's no more than 5 (8 has been removed).

Price of any system is now 400 million. It's less than two batteships, I hope not too much.

Note that it doesn't mean that AW members can create SF accounts now etc., leaders of existing factions should decide themselves whether to allow this or not.

Faction rules change - romer - 10-30-2006

Quote:I'm also considering possibility of charging in-game money for system designs. Maybe even real money, for designing a system is a complicated process, but that's for future consideration. As for in-game money, it's simple,.. pay someone who can make systems (Angel for example) a billion, send him/her a drawing or something of the system you want, and get a completed system for next version.

This might be the way to go. Even though the idea of editing systems sounds interesting. I'm sure it's more complex than the drag and drop type map editing for other games. (ie. TA, AOE3)

Are the guard systems for sale? If so, it seems that they would be a good first choice as some of the editing is already done: pop zones, a base or two in some cases.

Guard systems are still available for purchase for factions that have appropriate affiliation.

These systems have basic layout that could be enhanced with more objects (clouds, planets, whatever you can thnk of). Same for other systems that will be claimed... there will be limitations, for example, no more than 1 base, and not too many acting objects like weapon platforms.

Faction rules change - Korrd - 10-30-2006

The problem with allowing people to join more than 1 SO faction will arise when a war between two factions with members on both go to war. Then, you will be unable to determine the numbers. Members will have to choose sides. AW will hold a council meeting to determine whether allow it's member to join other factions or not...

For AW and other large factions I'd suggest to compile a list of factions that characters from AW accounts can't join. For example, some of AW are members of Phantom, maybe members of other non-system-owning factions that shouldn't be listed. Other large factions (Bs, RM etc) may be listed, as well as factions with which you are currently at war.

So your members will know for sure whom they can join and whom they cannot.