Discovery Gaming Community
Excessive bonusses - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Excessive bonusses (/showthread.php?tid=184830)

Excessive bonusses - Ruud - 11-30-2020

In the beginning i was pleased when I saw you could get bonuses for kills when accepting missions. But IMHO they have become too excessive. Let me give you an example. I have a RM battlecruiser and did missions in Köln/Cologne. I gathered about 100 Gallic Brigand pilots in about 10 missions. I sold them in Sigma-15 for about 1.5 M. But I only need a few minutes to shoot down four Federal Sleipnir fighters which each give me 500 K or 2 M in total. So I asked my self: why going through all the trouble of collecting those POWs and selling them at a place where I can get more money for them?

Before the bonuses that is one of the ways I earned money. The main way was trading. I did missions but the main reason for doing them was to increase my reputation with certain factions. The bonuses increased my interest in missions,, so the idea with the bonuses is good, no doubt about it. But 500 K for killing a fighter is way too much IMHO. I can live with 50 K during missions but that amount is too much when shooting a foo by chance. 10 K would do. But again, that is my opinion.

Just my two cents....

RE: Excessive bonusses - Mephistoles - 11-30-2020

Well this is the first time I've seen someone not be in favour of missions being an alternative to trading, so that's something - but it's intended to be that way. Being able to earn real credits through missions is to add flavour and variety to the game, to be something to do other than hauling ore all day.

Some might prefer to trade and some might prefer missions, and that's fine as long as the two are correctly balanced and not so far out of whack with each other that one makes the other pointless. Players have a fair and balanced choice on how to play the game - and more choice can only be a good thing, no?

RE: Excessive bonusses - Ruud - 12-01-2020

(11-30-2020, 07:53 PM)Mephistoles Wrote: Well this is the first time I've seen someone not be in favour of missions being an alternative to trading, so that's something
I'm not against it, in fact I like it. I'm only against the, IMHO, excessive bonuses. If others think that the bonuses are not excessive, I'll accept that. No bad feelings towards anyone.

Update: it seems that one of my money makers, the battle field north of planet Steinfurt/Cologne, has been de-activated: since yesterday evening (GMT+1) nothing is happening there anymore. It seems that I have to fly real missions again Smile

RE: Excessive bonusses - Kazinsal - 12-01-2020

The scaling PvE bounty system was intended to basically replace the old system of collecting credit card and high-value pilot drops and selling them. I don't know if we ever really got a chance to tweak much of it but if you have any other examples of things being a bit wonky, feel free to post them and I'll look into it. Probably about time someone got around to fiddling with NPC loadouts and stuff anyways.

RE: Excessive bonusses - Dyshep - 12-01-2020

Seeing credits go in my account after killing an NPC is the most satisfying thing. I love the RP of it too.
Hope that doesn't get removed.

Regarding the POW issue, make them more profitable ?

RE: Excessive bonusses - Juan_Arquero - 12-01-2020

I just started playing Discovery Freelancer again a little over a week ago after being absent for three years. My favorite change has been the new bounty system, but the most I've gotten is $60k for a few pilots. I couldn't find low level missions in New York, but had better luck in Pennsylvania. The biggest problem I've had is finding BPA Newgate to turn in Red Hessians, Corsairs and Mollies. I know I went to the correct location, but there was no sign of BPA Newgate -- not even remnants of the minefield in Manchester. Did BPA Newgate get moved or retconned? Has BPA Newgate been replaced with another Bretonian prison? If so, where? I've tried to research this without success and I haven't been able to find answers in-game.

RE: Excessive bonusses - Ruud - 12-01-2020

(12-01-2020, 02:58 PM)Dyshep Wrote: Regarding the POW issue, make them more profitable ?
THAT is a good idea! A Gallic Brigand will give you 7000 in Cologne and 15000 in Sigma-15. The kill itself is 50 K. Make the kill 25 K, and the price in Sigma-15 40 K. The end result is the same but the player has to do more afford to get the money. But it also gives other parties the possibility to rob or free those POWs. Because of this risk, make the price 50 K.

Forget the remark about the battlefield above Steinfurt that I made earlier: it is working again. A kind of on/off timer? Which is good because that forces you do other things. And by doing that I found a battlefield in Omicron Zeta. Yes, I know now that it can be found on Navmap. But I had no idea that they existed at all so I didn't look for them.

Freelancer still surprises after ten years of playing. Thank you all!

RE: Excessive bonusses - St.Denis - 12-01-2020

(12-01-2020, 04:31 PM)Juan_Arquero Wrote: I just started playing Discovery Freelancer again a little over a week ago after being absent for three years. My favorite change has been the new bounty system, but the most I've gotten is $60k for a few pilots. I couldn't find low level missions in New York, but had better luck in Pennsylvania. The biggest problem I've had is finding BPA Newgate to turn in Red Hessians, Corsairs and Mollies. I know I went to the correct location, but there was no sign of BPA Newgate -- not even remnants of the minefield in Manchester. Did BPA Newgate get moved or retconned? Has BPA Newgate been replaced with another Bretonian prison? If so, where? I've tried to research this without success and I haven't been able to find answers in-game.

Have a look at the Interactive Map on the Forums under the Player Utilities Tab.

https://space.discoverygc.com/navmap/#q=Manchester

Newgate is in the big minefield but the entrance is on the north east side and is a tunnel.

RE: Excessive bonusses - Juan_Arquero - 12-01-2020

(12-01-2020, 04:52 PM)St.Denis Wrote:
(12-01-2020, 04:31 PM)Juan_Arquero Wrote: I just started playing Discovery Freelancer again a little over a week ago after being absent for three years. My favorite change has been the new bounty system, but the most I've gotten is $60k for a few pilots. I couldn't find low level missions in New York, but had better luck in Pennsylvania. The biggest problem I've had is finding BPA Newgate to turn in Red Hessians, Corsairs and Mollies. I know I went to the correct location, but there was no sign of BPA Newgate -- not even remnants of the minefield in Manchester. Did BPA Newgate get moved or retconned? Has BPA Newgate been replaced with another Bretonian prison? If so, where? I've tried to research this without success and I haven't been able to find answers in-game.

Have a look at the Interactive Map on the Forums under the Player Utilities Tab.

https://space.discoverygc.com/navmap/#q=Manchester

Newgate is in the big minefield but the entrance is on the north east side and is a tunnel.

Thanks, St. Denis. I was so used to BPA Newgate being SSW of Sheffield Station (where it was for years) that I forgot it was moved further west when Fort Winchester was added shortly before my first laptop died about three years ago (which was why I stopped playing Discovery Freelancer). Fortunately, I have a new laptop now, so I'm able to play my favorite game again.