Discovery Gaming Community
Your thoughts please - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Your thoughts please (/showthread.php?tid=1874)

Pages: 1 2

Your thoughts please - marauder - 11-11-2006

I want to see how other discovery players think the mod should go, it's ultimately up to igiss (as usual) but it can't hurt to see what the players think.

So don't flame other peoples opinions, don't quote them either, just post what you think and why.

If you don't want to post what you chose and why, fine, just sit back and watch as people ignore what I said and flame each other, quote each other and for hoodlum and mal to hand out the grenades and pies.

Your thoughts please - DBoy1612 - 11-11-2006

I think it should stay the way it is. It's so fun how it is, because we get both RP and PvP. Its perfect.

Your thoughts please - Stingray - 11-11-2006

I voted for RP, got no real good reason.

Your thoughts please - Yngen - 11-11-2006

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'going all RP.' But I voted for the RP option.

I don't believe RP is at odds with PvP. The only limitation RP places on PvP is it only allows you to engage a select group of people. People that want more PvP out of the game can always choose a Pirate faction-as they can engage pretty much whomever they want.

Your thoughts please - Badger - 11-11-2006

It's a tough one to call. Different people have differing opinions on what truly makes up "total RP" as I'm sure you're aware, which means even though that option may win the poll, it won't necessarily mean people are chasing the same idealistic view that you intend, marauder.

I RP and I PvP, I welcome the chances to have a good scrap without the baggage of roleplaying the situation and escalating it by use of wingmen every now and then. As one of the few remaining law-men on this server, sometimes I just need a break from the constant barrage of pirates jumping gates into territory I'm sworn to defend.

I enjoy roleplaying just as much, I'll try to play my part whenever possible whether other players respond to it or not (more often than not I'm pleased to say), but I don't want to get tied down by any more rules. It's hard enough getting newer and naive players to adhere to the ones we've already got. Therefore I'm voting "as is", it's a delicate balance but I would say we've done alright so far.

Your thoughts please - McNeo - 11-11-2006

I votes "stay as it is" because, even though i believe that it should go more to RP, my ideal server would still be closer to what it is now that total RP. To be honest, i would like to mount Reavers and Buckshots on my manta, but i doubt i could kill anyone in it, so i dont. The RP bit that I want changed is that we all have weapons so that they all do similar cumulative damage. The weapon type doesnt really matter to me, though i hope the fast fireing guns are good vs graviton and the slow firing ones weak vs graviton.

As a summary, if the level 9 guns did nearly as much damage as lvl 10 guns (barring the nomad variants), then that would make it easier for players to have guns that suit their RP, and still have a chance to win a match up.

The Actuall RP that goes on now, not including physical things, is adequate in my view, and that should not change IMO.

Your thoughts please - Nightfall - 11-11-2006

Fin? Mal? Pass me the pies and a few grenades! :crazy:

I feel tempted to say that some suggestions are not quite in the spirit, so to say, anyway, enough about that.

It's a bit unclear what's meant by 'go totally RP'... anyway, imho, if the server goes totally PvP dropping the RP, it'll become like TNG in no time, I guess not many people here want that to happen to Discovery. I've seen Discovery servers not RPing how many players do they have? Not even 10 people on at the same time. A few went down.
RP and balance is what keeps Discovery alive, and it's very alive and healthy imho. True, bugs will be discovered, exploits will be found but if we work to make it better and eliminate those, we'll eventually succeed. Remember, no one is not doing this as their full-time job or something, we do this for fun, in our spare time and trying not to put too much work in it to spoil the fun.
A good mix of both, PvP and RP, as we should be having is the best. True, some people have to learn what RP is. I'd like to think that we can be patient enough with them and teach them.

not flamming: McNeo, do you want me to beat your Manta with all the weapons you got in a Hammerhead with proper weapons? :crazy:

Your thoughts please - caylith - 11-11-2006

There is a delicate balance that Discovery has. There is not only the game but the forums. That, in itself, creates a community atmosphere. If you don't know someone in game and you know he is not on the forums...he truly is a stranger. You can't have one without the other I think.

The forums are for discussions, sure. But the forums are a place to craft and spin your RP stories so that they can be, or have been, carried out in game. What would happen to the forums if the server went completely PvP? There would be no more RP posts and just people posting about how they pawned this person or that person. That's trying enough to hear as it is.

If it were to go totally RP...well, we have enough problems trying to get people to understand this is an RP server. For those who do RP, it's a great, fun experience. There are a few out there who don't understand it or try to buck the system. That's okay since most of us have been here a long time and we can tell who's going to stay and who will just disappear.

I vote for it to stay the same...if you hadn't guessed that already.

Your thoughts please - Malaclypse 666 - 11-11-2006

I'm also slightly at a loss as to what "total RP" would entail.

It seems to me that the situation is sort of "self-balancing": Those who come to "discover", build characters, create empires, (or Religions), etc. have plenty of opportunity to do so.

Those who come to face other players to test their flying skills seem able to find each other and satisfy their gaming desires as well. The occassional server event helps to create PvP opportunities for these folk too. Some events offer opportunities for both.

I personally would have less enjoyment, and involvement, if there were no "Fnordettes", no Veranda Incognita, no "behind-the-scenes" factional intrigues and surprises.

I have noticed that the new system-owning rule has changed the tone of things a bit. RP has slowed down a bit, as folk are running around like squirrels gathering nuts for the winter... trading and amassing the fortunes needed for the purchase of faction systems. Eventually, I supect that once systems have been purchased, doled out, and added to the mod, the RP aspect will return, and even be enhanced by "turf wars", etc.

For those who perhaps aren't comfortable with posting on the boards "in character", or who can't be bothered to flesh out a character beyond the basic lawman/trader/terrorist/pirate, a thread on the forums titled "PvP Only" or somesuch could be created where they could register, express their lack of intention to role-play, and find each other for straight, no-frills PvP.

Too much info, eh? Good opinions expressed so far.

Guess I'll go for for "status quo" for now... Erleichda!

Your thoughts please - Dab - 11-11-2006

Though I think some more RP on server would be nice, I would not like total RP. Where restricting players heavily to certain ships with certain IDs to get them.

Stay as is, and then we simply need to get people to RP more. RP in-game needs it alot more than forums. And people need to get into the feel of RPing in game, instead of grabbing the best equipment. Heck, if I wanted best equipment you would see me in nothing but Osiris, Lib cruiser, and Colonial Viper. I see people that ARE this way. These are the people that are making everyone else mad, by exploiting all the best just to win.

They need to start RPing and grabbing IDs and ships and weapons (or as much as they can, since alot of factions don't have their own level 9 guns...) that fit their alignment and character.

But totally RP wouldn't be good..

Perhaps we should make some more server events to get new people to start RPing? I know Hyperwave wasn't much of an RPer, but when he started to work on that he did it alot more.