Discovery Gaming Community
Eat Plasma and Die! ...or... - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Eat Plasma and Die! ...or... (/showthread.php?tid=1889)

Pages: 1 2

Eat Plasma and Die! ...or... - Malaclypse 666 - 11-13-2006

Point the First: In real life, there's no "re-spawn", folk.

Point the Second: While RP examples will fuel this discussion, let's try to keep it about the issues itself rather than which faction is doing what to whom.

Actual example:

'Ol Sancho, sittin in Dublin, one of the few remaining Davey Jones members.. No real "allies" or "friends".

Wup? Action in Cambridge! Fresh souls for Davey! Launch and beat feet. I park on a nice vulture stool above the planet. Safe, right? Nah. NPC's start to gather from somewhere. Sancho engages, little fruit salad to pay for the expedition...

During the fracas, i drift out of my safe perch, and into the attention of an SF gunboat below.. nothin' for it. do my lone best to take home the bacon...

Ten minutes later, all guns and droppers blown off, half a hull, and a lot of other traffic close by who might smell blood.

(BTW, Wolf, not sure why the Kerboros stood off during this spankin'.. but whatever the reason.. alignment, courtesy, or future political ramifications, I appreciated the chance to test my mettle against reasonably better odds.)

What would the "real" Sancho do? No brainer. Luckily, I caught a trade ring out of the corner of my viewport, and thrust for it with all my remaining engine reserves. Limped into the NL Huggie base, paid over half a mil in repairs, and had just enough money to buy four crappy photon cannon to get me home to Dublin.

Now, DJC is aligned with Mollys... terrorists. And DJC has stated agenda which also smacks of terrorism ala bringin' souls into the DJC fold one way or another, dead or alive. Does that mean I'm required to give my undead life in a lone, futile (if fun) attempt to take down my foe along with me? Or would "real life" dictate that i slink off, lick my wounds, look for some new recruits or allies, and return to fight another day?

Let's not get all stinky and finger-pointy with this, but I would appreciate an honest and reasoned discussion.. might clear the air, and give us all new perspective on this. Was Sancho a coward? Did he disgrace the good name of Davey Jones? Or, was he smart as a fox, and doin' what any outgunned bloke would do?

Eat Plasma and Die! ...or... - Lt.Cmdr.Olsav - 11-13-2006

smart as a fox. as a junker i usually go away if the odds are against me. (and they usually are).

Eat Plasma and Die! ...or... - Hyperwave22 - 11-13-2006

I say that, realistically, you would run. When matched against odds like that, there are two options. Fight to the death or run away at some point, and RP-wise, one would definitely run. If they die, they're dead, no exceptions. Freelancer bends this a certain way, but I think that based on what you're saying here, wise choice, my friend.

Hype

Eat Plasma and Die! ...or... - Yngen - 11-13-2006

It sounds like a good engagement and a valid RP exchange as well. The fact that you waited until 1/2 hull before running should explain itself. Davey Jones should be compensating his minion souls for such efforts as its hardly profitable.

I think its good practice for any faction leadership to encourage fighting on any level against faction foes. Even more compensation should be given to people who RP in the spirit of the faction really well, regardless of how successful they are in combat.

Eat Plasma and Die! ...or... - Nightfall - 11-13-2006

If you don't want to fight/die against impossible odds, then just don't sit for two hours somewhere, hiding, docked or whatever and just go talk and talk and more talk. Just ignore the fact you're in the system and try as quietly as possible to erase yourself from there, disappear! Ask for a duel! I always do.

Let me tell you four short stories:

Story 1.
I found myself in Cambridge with one of my lawful characters, Patrick Boone (in a fighter), somebody in a a caship was 'terrorizing' the traders, I joined with the SF gunboat as fighter support. Soon, other lawful ships appeared.
The bottom line: the 'terrorist' was talking for two hours how he doesn't want to fight against greater number and such!

I ask, why didn't he just run off from the system?

Story 2.
I fly my Manta (Dino DeLaurentiis) into Omicron Theta and make the mistake of flying to Freeport 9 with 3 Phantom ships in the vicinity, one of them saw me on it's scopes (I was already in the docking animation).
When I got my head out alive out of the firefight I undocked to (2 Huegenots and a RavenClaw) I requested a fair fight with the RavenClaw. My request was honored. (I did win because I had the overpowered ship, the Phantom was flying better than me that night).

Story 3.
Omicron Alpha. Two Outcast fighters doing missions. A Bounty Hunter player comes and starts bragging in system chat how he killed their mothers. The Bounty Hunter player was docked at Ibiza and just talking in system...

Story 4.
Omicron Alpha. A lone Bounty Hunter comes in front of Malta and openly attacks. The lot of Outcast Sabres got him before I could...

Conclusion: if you don't want to fight don't bother entering the system, there's no sense. At least don't be cocky about it. Put your tail between your legs and run!

Eat Plasma and Die! ...or... - McNeo - 11-13-2006

I agree. I shall do that more often instead of knowing that i will respawn.

Is story 4 me a long time ago? Though i do hate to run from a fight. :sleep:

Eat Plasma and Die! ...or... - Nightfall - 11-14-2006

yes McNeo, Story 4 is you, being a Hunter not coming to the system to become the hunted :)

Eat Plasma and Die! ...or... - BestFlyerHere - 11-14-2006

I've always tried to graecfully admit defeat. Really, unless you're like a fanatic, you will run to fight another day. And be gracious. Dont just run, and then brag about a huge fight where u took down 3 of them. And if you win (the other person runs) dont be really rude about winning.

Eat Plasma and Die! ...or... - Virus - 11-14-2006

Aye, smart man, there, mate. Though, me bein' the little money saver that I am, would run away... And away.. And away... and eventually... Planet dive my guns back.

Eat Plasma and Die! ...or... - Malaclypse 666 - 11-14-2006

Virus,Nov 13 2006, 04:08 PM Wrote:Aye, smart man, there, mate. Though, me bein' the little money saver that I am, would run away... And away.. And away... and eventually... Planet dive my guns back.
[snapback]44131[/snapback]

Bugger. Didn't even consider that option....

Does it smell like noob in here?? ROFLMAO!

Thanks for the feedback, folk. Now if that bloody Goddess the ELF serves doesn't start whining about battle "to the death" for her Honor.

See ya Topside,
and watch out for my Bad Barragers!
Sancho