Discovery Gaming Community
A Change Of Pace - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: A Change Of Pace (/showthread.php?tid=194752)

A Change Of Pace - Stoner_Steve - 10-19-2022

Brad appeared bathed in light as the pair of nondescript doors opened, almost silently. Crossing the threshold and calling out into the darkness, “Computer Lights”. Pausing just far enough forward for the silentish doors to again seel behind him as the lights warmed covering the room in a ruddy yellow color. Sighing loudly he proceeded forward, dropping a case and a data pad on a nearby table as he viewed his quarters in full. It wasn’t entirely what he was expecting. The years on the Aurora, and its lack of personal space provided some forewarning. But there was a window, a real one at that. Turning slowly on the spot he took the room in. In a word it could be described as efficient. “I should count myself lucky to be an officer”, Brad muttered to no one in particular, “can’t imagine what the crew quarters are like”. The room, while small, contained a couch, a small kitchenette, and a view of the starboard side of the vessel stretching out to infinity. Another room was just off to the left side of the main entrance. With a bedroom, and a head with integrated shower.

The self guided tour ended rather abruptly as the door chimed, “Enter” came the quick reply. As the again silentish doors slid apart revealing two men. “Colonel”, the taller of the two snapping a quick salute. Brad returned the salute, although with perhaps less exuberance than someone who was a seasoned soldier. “Please come in'' Brad gestured to the room, “you can set my things wherever and I’ll take care of it later.” Both grunted an acknowledgment, quickly loading the room with several boxes, more than one might reasonably expect to fit in such cramped conditions. “Colonel?” the shorter of the two men called to Brad who was lost in thought looking out the window, “Yes, what is it, oh right yes, dismissed”. The silentish doors opening and closing once more.

Then there was silence.

Some amount of time later Brad finally pulled himself away from the window, turning once more to the room at large and walking past the couch, pausing in front of the one wall without anything on it. “Computer, terminal access”. There was a whirl of gears followed by a slight thump as the wall swung out, exposing a terminal with an exquisitely squishy chair. As the terminal booted up Brad swung himself into the chair and settled in. The screen suddenly queried him for attention. Reading over the message Brad frowned slightly. He was warned of this. The mandatory daily reports served two purposes. Officially, the reports served to metally fortify the crew, especially those assigned to long duration missions. But Brad suspected the true use of the reports was to monitor for sudden changes in behavior indicative of a compromised individual.

“No time like the present”, Brad cleared his throat loudly, “Computer start log, it is 02:58 Ship Time, October 18th. If I had to describe yesterday, I would call it freshman orientation. Which has just finished up after starting a little after 8 in the morning. I’m reasonably certain with all the reading I’ve done up to this point I could traverse the ship blind and upside down. My new home, the ORV|Silent_Vigil, isn’t that bad of a ship. Just a little worn. A Resheph class reconnaissance cruiser built in late 822 she hasn’t seen much actual combat action. Which now that I say it out loud kind of makes sense, who’s going in guns ablazing with a ship that has more antennas than turrets.” Brad laughed at his own joke and paused again for a moment before continuing. “Speaking of obvious. The primary fleet is a little hesitant in allowing my carte blanche access to their systems, shipyards, and personnel. Which again, obvious. I’ve been granted a temporary commission of Colonel in the reserve fleet and command of the Silent Vigil while the primary fleet views my progress. My first mission appears to be pretty simple. A run of Energy Field Equipment, Light Arms, Medical Equipment, Palladium, and a Marine rotation of 50 men out to Dabadoru. Now it sounds like an easy enough resupply mission. And while I was made aware of a logistical fleet serving Mu and beyond. I’m told Delta is too dangerous for supply from regular freighters. Hence our directive. Personally, I’m not a fan of being a delivery service. But, I’m aware that this is likely the fastest way to build my reputation, and no doubt the crew will be reporting on my every action and decision as well. With all that in mind we are expected to depart in a few hours so I’ve given up on sleep for the moment. Likely after we depart port and get underway the excitement should die down and let me grab a few hours of rest before we leave Mu for Zeta.” Brad was interrupted by a soft chime on the wall that continued for a minute before stopping. “And the show must go on”