Discovery Gaming Community
RP 24/7 Server - Downtime - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: RP 24/7 Server - Downtime (/showthread.php?tid=2992)

Pages: 1 2 3

RP 24/7 Server - Downtime - majkp - 06-01-2007

I have to clean the server rack and the game server will be shut down at this time.

There was a reconstruction in our house and there is a lot of dust inside and I am worried that it has also been 'hoovered' inside all our servers so I have to open and clean them all (including our game server).

I will also use this opportunity to try to overclock it a bit so it doesn't lag with 50 players, wish me luck...:)
But even if it works well, I'll wait for Korrd and we will test it at 16GMT before we go live so there may be another short downtime at 16GMT.

RP 24/7 Server - Downtime - Korrd - 06-01-2007

The 16GMT downtime will be a bit longer than that. I will have to run some stability and performance tests on the server, and that can take some hours.
If i were able to make it at 10GMT, then it would not be noticed, as server would have been down either way. But i don't think i can make it, as it will be at 7am my time, and i am going to bed at 5AM on Sundays (and not in the best state of mind, if you understand, to be able to do such thing without frying the computer while trying:P).

RP 24/7 Server - Downtime - McNeo - 06-01-2007

2.4 GHz should will probably be enough

same as a E6600 in a E6300.

so, DL this :
Coretemp (google it)

and try to download a CPU stress test.

Make sure you unlink the speed of the cpu from the speed of the Ram otherwise the ram may cause the pc not to start. Also, look in the manual for the motherboard so you know how to reset the BIOS/CMOS if the overclock goes wrong.

Dont go higher than 2.6GHz otherwise you may need a custom cooler.

BTW, it takes hours to get a high stable overclock with minimal voltage. I have my C2D running at 3.15 GHz (it is an E6600) with 2.815 voltage. The speed had to be decreased and the voltage increased since my last motherboard which i broke because of the OC.

Using coretemp (not any other 3rd party application) try to keep the temperature under 60 -65 degrees Centigrade. The reason for using coretemp is because it reads the temperature directly off the die, and not through a badly calibrated temperature control chip. On my old mobo, it said my core was at 15 degrees C when the room temp was 25....

Do a stress test when you reach the desired OC. If it crashes, freezes or BSODs you, then try to increase the voltage. 1 increment at a time.

EDIT: BAD TYPO, VOLTAGE 1.8125, NOT 2.185
EDIT 2: BAD THING AGAIN< CANT REMEMEBR A NUMBER. Asus Probe II says 1.36V, but i think its closer to 1.28....meh. sorry:$.

RP 24/7 Server - Downtime - Mirek - 06-01-2007

good tips McNeo

I overclocked my E6320 to 3.1 GHz without increasing the Vcore .
This CPU is very nice to overlock and it's a waste dont to use this feature.

RP 24/7 Server - Downtime - Korrd - 06-01-2007

2.8v O_o

How can that be? C2D core voltaje is 1.4v default. No motherboard allows you to go that high, unless you voltmod it. And 2.8v will fry your CPU.

To put a speed limit like that is not logical. The only way to determine a limit is by testing. Some CPU can OC more with stock voltaje, while others cant reach that speed without an increase.

RP 24/7 Server - Downtime - McNeo - 06-01-2007

oh damn sorry typo

i meant 1.2825V

But yeah, every chip is different. The disco community might have gotton lucky with an especially long lasting, well made chip, or we might have got one which doesnt OC very well. You never know.

Again, sorry about the Typo

In fact, i havent seen my BIOS in a long time, so im gonna go check.

EDIT: Ok it is infact 1.8125V

sorry about the misleading typo:$.

EDIT 2: FFS i got it wrong again i cant even remember a simple number. This time i got it really wrong. Asus probe II is saying 1.36V although i swear i put it at 1.2 somthing.

RP 24/7 Server - Downtime - fwolf - 06-01-2007

I getting the yellow tag, and one time the ping was accusing 700 on server selection screen.

I wish you luck with those issues.

I cant run my lan server anymore, I dont known what is happening as I dont have experience with this. I cant connect to it, even after I formated the windows partition and reinstalled windows and later the game.

RP 24/7 Server - Downtime - BestFlyerHere - 06-01-2007

Yeah, I pinged the server: 82.113.48.3 (memorized IP for when i test security), and i got average of about 800 m/s. I hope this helps the lag issue.

RP 24/7 Server - Downtime - majkp - 06-03-2007

The server is going to be shut-down in approx. 1 hour.

The downtime shouldn't be longer that 2 hours.

Stay with us...:)

RP 24/7 Server - Downtime - majkp - 06-03-2007

I am shutting the server down now.

The downtime shouldn't be longer that 2 hours.