Discovery Gaming Community
rapid FPS drop within fights - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: rapid FPS drop within fights (/showthread.php?tid=33979)

Pages: 1 2

rapid FPS drop within fights - Malexa - 01-31-2010

Hey everyone!

I am encountering this problem since the latest mod update somehow.

At first, what do I have for running Freelancer?

Intel Q6600
2gb ram
Gforce 8800GTX
Running on Vista 32-bit (a month ago I had Win XP and still the same problem)

Playing FL on 1024x768 or on 1280x1024 without any changes. Max or min details. Still all the same.

Well, now a brief description.

Whenever more than 5 ships circle around and fight, my FPS is dropping down to about 5 to 8. To take effect I need to face the furball of course.
I never had issues with larger fights before, but when the latest update was released (was it update 3?), my trouble started. Some people said "thats the new bomber gun!" and no it isn't. Just now a pure fighter furball.

I cant do anything about it. Regulating all the sliders down on miminum details (means no stars, no animations, nothing) its still like the same.
I can play FL on my crappy laptop with low details without having this kind of problem.
Something is definitely wrong here.

If anyone has an idea what could cause this problem, please tell me. I can run up to date games like Operation Flashpoint Dragon rising with about 40 FPS on max details. Risen, Assassons Creed...hell I could name every cool looking game here.

I would be glad if anyone has an idea what messes my FL up.
And no reinstalling does not work. XP and Vista fails both.

Malexa

rapid FPS drop within fights - Govedo13 - 02-04-2010

Well some problem here sometimes,me and my room mate playing together sharing 32 mbs connection in Germany,sometimes one of us just freeze the fps drop really hard and it is not playable. I tried it on win 7 pro ,win xp pro and vista- the same. On our 3 different machines - core2duo @ 3,6 with ATI 3870, one Phenom X4 with ATI 5770 and one laptop xps 1550 with C2D at 2.2 and 8600 G force card.
This stared since 2 months. First my idea was that the XPS is too weak but after testing on the brand new AMD rig with the same results we changed our mind.No idea why sometimes one of us both just freeze even when the server is not full or anyone is around. Sometimes we play without any problems in Melee too.May be it is just internet connection problem,may be our Bandwidth vary too much.No other reasonable explanation for me.

rapid FPS drop within fights - Malexa - 02-04-2010

FPS (Frames per Second) do not cohere with your ping.
They are two different pair of shoes.

Low FPS mean a juddering picture.
A high ping instead keeps the game appearing still running smooth, but ships jump around or commands are not beeing realized promptly.

rapid FPS drop within fights - Man103 - 02-04-2010

Make sure that you select the Anti aliasing and and anisotropic filtering in the nVidia control panel to 2x or 4x and not more than that.

rapid FPS drop within fights - ophidian - 02-04-2010

Also check anything running behind at the system tray and see if your GCard softare is doing something weird. I had a similar problem and found out that whenever I play a heavy graphic game, stupid CCC does some weird tweaking behind that kills the game speed. I turned it off, and voila, it works.

Thanks for your answers.

AA and AF are both set to "application controlled"

What does CCC mean? I doubt it is the Cross Country Cup for paragliding:P

rapid FPS drop within fights - Frazzer. - 02-04-2010

' Wrote:What does CCC mean? I doubt it is the Cross Country Cup for paragliding:P
Catalyst Control Center - For ATI cards
I think it has to do with your graphics card, if you are playing with the graphic enhancements it can really easily harm your FPS. Even with my HD 4870 with 1GB my FPS drop to 30 or 40 in larger fights. If you have the graphic enhancements enabled you should try turning them off, maybe that helps a bit.

rapid FPS drop within fights - Irra - 02-04-2010

' Wrote:Catalyst Control Center - For ATI cards
I think it has to do with your graphics card, if you are playing with the graphic enhancements it can really easily harm your FPS. Even with my HD 4870 with 1GB my FPS drop to 30 or 40 in larger fights. If you have the graphic enhancements enabled you should try turning them off, maybe that helps a bit.

I have that thing and when playing FL its maxed out as high as it can get and i have no problems in large fights at all ( oh yes it dropped a bit in last big fight in Gamma , RoS, OC and Corsairs all that while more ships were watching )..

but i have something different.. no matter what effects i use (driver changed or fl changed) sometimes when i get in and few times in game its starts FPS drops by large amount.. i mean i cant even turn where i want to.. its less then 5 fps.. it freezes every few seconds i need to restart FL to fix it or sometimes it stops in mid space or in loading screen..

What could that be?

Edit:
CCC is working all the time.. low or high graphic details.. so could it be problem?

rapid FPS drop within fights - jxie93 - 02-04-2010

Try turning your resolution down, if the fights are lagging your graphics you can lower the resolution so the GPU doesn't have to work as hard.

CCC - really? That's for ATI cards and you have a nVidia Geforce.

Yes and also check if there's something eating up your resources in the background too.

The real fun thing is, that if I use 1024x768, it gets worse.
I test to reactivate the mod and switch some things off.

ENB are disabled right now.