Discovery Gaming Community
A few notes about the server status - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: A few notes about the server status (/showthread.php?tid=39691)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

A few notes about the server status - Cannon - 05-09-2010

As some of you are aware, we've moved the server to a new location. Hosting the server in this location is an experiment. If it is successful, we'll keep it here. If it is not successful, we'll figure out something else.

We have a better network connection but the CPU isn't as good as for single threaded applications like Freelancer. As a result of the slower CPU the server is getting a little overloaded.

The drama over the last 12 hours was related to upgrading our flhook to the latest development release. I discovered that there were a number of serious bugs in this release. I believe that they're fixed now.

Now that flhook is upgraded, I'm going to gather statistics on the operation of various parts of the server and see if I can optimise them. I have noticed a number of areas that could be improved.

The server crashes are caused by a few different things.
- overloading
- mod bugs

Mod bugs are generally patched by various flhook plugins. Unfortunately, the move to 64 bit windows seems to have broken some of these patches. I'm working on fixing this. The changes I have added to the new flhook may help reduce the number of crashes too.

To try to fix the overloading problems I'm working on several different things:
- optimising the current software to make it more efficient
- split the server so that we can better use the multiple cores.

Upgrading flhook seems to have reduced the server load a bit but it is too early to draw any definitive conclusions.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask them.

A few notes about the server status - Birdtalon - 05-09-2010

Will the server splitting allow PMs across the two servers so it's effectively like one server? Or will you be logged out of one server and into another when you cross.

A few notes about the server status - gafwmn - 05-09-2010

Thats not how it works,and not what your thinking.
It has to do with using the hardware in a more efficient manner.

A few notes about the server status - Birdtalon - 05-09-2010

Rightho.

A few notes about the server status - Cannon - 05-09-2010

' Wrote:Will the server splitting allow PMs across the two servers so it's effectively like one server? Or will you be logged out of one server and into another when you cross.
Actually, you've outlined roughly what I'm now trying to make work. Moving between servers should be completely transparent. This is plan B. Plan A was different.

To answer your question about PMs, I don't know yet. Maybe. The more important question is "hey, cannon, can you make this server split thing work?"...I don't know yet either.

A few notes about the server status - Lancelot9 - 05-09-2010

Are we going to end up seeing a roll back? Things seem to be going crazy...

A few notes about the server status - Fletcher - 05-09-2010

What parts are generally in demand to get the server more efficient? If any. I am in the dark about the server specs, and if any are needed, I'd be willing to shell some money towards a pool to buy new parts, or even cooling system to safely overclock the CPU's.

A few notes about the server status - Govedo13 - 05-09-2010

Yesterday I was doing missions in the Rheinland SHF and the cruise was fixed :lol:, aka I loose no power during cruising. It is a bug. What Kind of CPU slot have the server? If It is old 775 I can send one old wather cooling system for it, it just needs new pump and few fans.

A few notes about the server status - Alexander Draconis - 05-09-2010

Thanks for the update Cannon. Is there anything us average players can do to help?

A few notes about the server status - msgerbs - 05-09-2010

Why can't we move the old server to the new location?