Discovery Gaming Community
Faction Idea - The Zone Republic - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Unofficial Factions and Groups (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+--- Thread: Faction Idea - The Zone Republic (/showthread.php?tid=4108)

Pages: 1 2

Faction Idea - The Zone Republic - snowm - 10-05-2007

[Image: zoners.jpg]
>[Excerpt from an unknown Citizen speech in Freeport 9]

" Citizens... Many time has passed since our people have come to explore the outer rim, many time has passed since the construction of the first Freeport, and what sight that was to behold, a home for the homeless, a promise of freedom, a claim to our own way of life, a platform to reach further.
Others followed, new citizens where attracted to our cause, Freelancers, Traders, Ex-Pirates, former House members, all were welcome as long as they did not strayed from our codes of Freedom and Equality.

Time has passed, more Freeport's sprouted, our position have since them consolidated ...and stagnated...

The Corsairs and the Outcasts rob our traders every time they can, and now sometimes they don't even put the blame on each other but proudly assume "i taxed that Zoner" and after that, calmly dock on our ports, repair their ships and sell their poison to our young ones! Very soon they will not have to waste torpedoes but simply settle on our Freeport's, tax protection money to all you citizens and turn us into serfs.

We are eyed suspiciously by the the Houses, even when we bring them new technology, rare minerals and help them in the fight against hostile aliens, they, in turn are only worried about scanning our cargo, and to tell us what company we much side with. To them we are the Zoners, the second class ones, one notch above the Pirates... They!, they who are ruled by either despots or corrupt so called democracies where the corporations come in first, and the people last...

When was the last Freeport built? do you see new constructions? I don't,
when has a new system been added to our charts? none that i know of,
When was the last time a concerted fleet was assembled to protect our traders? I don't remember,
The rules are now "you're on your one" you want protection to trade, pay a Merc, or better still pay the Pirates and forget about it. You want to explore uncharted systems, go then, but don't ask for backup...because there isn't one.

More and more i feel we are loosing the spirit. We built the freeports out of a concerted effort, a union of free Citizens... and now we're alone, we are many, but we are alone, Citizen will not help Citizen, everyone has their own agenda.

... We shall picked one by one. [silence] "

>[One Year and tree months later, notice posted on several Freeports Electronic Bulletin Boards]

Independent Sirius dwellers the Zone Republic is now recruiting.
"We don't care for your background, only for your loyalty"

We seek Traders, Fighters and Scouts.

* Position Trader:
Mission: To haul cargo on preset very profitable trade routes (all cargos permitted)
* Position Fighter:
Mission: To protect Zoner Traders in their routes, concerted retaliatory actions and occasional mercenary work
* Position Scout:
Mission: Scout Zoner sector for possible hostile infiltration, intelligence gathering, concerted retaliatory actions and occasional mercenary work

We will accept any ship and pilots with sufficient skill and bravery,

You shall be given a probation period (must be on friendly terms with zoners) to familiarize yourself.
After the probation period, you must chose either to leave (no retaliations whatsoever) or take the Trial and the Oath thus becoming a Citizen.

When Citizenship is granted, the pilot's ship must be of Zoner, Civilian or of Allied (Order, GMG) origin. And must have Zoner ID. Weapons and ammo are of your choice. You'll also receive a 10 Million credits donation from the Treasury.

For easy identification, Citizen ships must must have proper names:

[ZR]-namehere

Cruisers, Frigates and Battleships shall be named according to our Republic virtues,

like our Flagship the Battleship [ZR]-PAX- (peace)

examples:
[ZR]-AEQVITAS- (fair trade and equality)
[ZR]-LIBERALITAS- (generosity)
[ZR]-PROVIDENTIA- (forethought)
[ZR]-CONCORDIA- (understanding and community spirit)
[ZR]-SECVRITAS- (security)
[ZR]-CLEMETIA- (mercy)
[ZR]-VERITAS- (truthfulness)

All ships are required to deliver 10% of their net profit to the Republic. These credits will be used in the acquisition of new systems and Freeports, recruitment funds, covert operations funds and Community emergency relieve funds.

We are Friendly with the Order and the GMG, Neutral to all except the Enemies of the Republic. We KOS all Nomad ships, we shall never tolerate this barbaric rabble on our borders.

Reply to this post with your CV, flight experience and the reason why you want to join the Zoner Republic, alternatively seek audience with the Tribune in command of the Battleship [ZR]-PAX- usually on Omicron Delta patrol.

LONG LIVE THE REPUBLIC !!

//OOC:
This faction pretends to represent an hypothetical militarist/expansionist Zoner group named themselves Zone Republic, it has loose bases on the organization of the Roman Republic and pretends to expand Zoner influence to all the Border worlds and possibly into House space, with the "speak softly and carry an enormous anti-matter cannon" attitude.
Given the Zoners current alliances with the Order and the GMG, they would have access to top technology and profitable trade connections, and some of them would think, we have the tech and the credits, why not secure ourselves? we're surrounded by bandits who cold turn on us if they got alternative food resources or technology suppliers; we've near the Alien Hypergate, when the new assault comes, will we be ready?
The answer that some of them devised: the Republic, a more militant and aggressive philosophy of government, that seeks to secure more resources, improve technology (even by assimilating alien technology) and one day spread their ideals to other parts of Sirius.

Their members speech, uses lot of stylized concepts, like "Freedom of the people" (meaning of course the freedom and supremacy of their own citizens), "Citizenship", "Pacification" (annihilation of hostile forces or of someone who gets in the way), "Just cause" (the expansion of Zone influence and territories), "Auxilia" (temporary allies, mercs or not), "Countryman" (Zoners not affiliated with the Republic) and "Enemy of the Republic" (factions or individuals who declare themselves hostile, take hostile action against the Republic's interests or someone the Republic what to get rid of).
They are also extremely hostile to all Nomad and Nomad allied, first because they are a direct threat, second because they want to dissect and emulate Nomad technology.

To become a citizen there are trials to overcome, a trader for example has to transport perishable goods on a certain route, thru hostile space, without shields! only then he is considered a citizen, there are other tests for fighters and larger ships.

This faction is very heavy on RP, so if you're good at shooting stuff but don't actually enjoy RP please don't apply:)

P.S. English is not my native language, so don't be surprised to find some mistakes around:)
//

Faction Idea - The Zone Republic - Gamazson - 10-05-2007

To My Fellow Members:

Please don't flame him. Please don't flame him. This faction concept has managed to touch allot of hot button topics. Lets explain those to him. everybody please be civilized!

To Snowm:

Unfortunately this idea of yours is quite the explosive powder keg. You a proposing a militaristic branch of the zoners. If you read the "How should zoners behave" you will understand how many members of the community dislike that notion. There are allot of flames in that thread but some valid points. Please read through. I know its size is daunting.

Secondly I should warn you that the community prefers members to active for some time before starting a faction. It is also a good idea to start your factions ideals small. You compared yourself to the roman empire, therefore implying that you are a large powerful step. Starting with humble steps creates better rounded factions.

Faction Idea - The Zone Republic - DarkOddity - 10-05-2007

Though the RP is pretty solid this isn't something that should be done...

Incase you need a link to the forementioned thread: http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7056

Faction Idea - The Zone Republic - Dab - 10-05-2007

Just one thing; I do see new Freeports and Zoner bases being constructed.. I'm constructing them.. Also, look at Omicron-74.

Otherwise, I can't find much wrong with this except that you seem to be wanting to make a militaristic Zoner group. Now, me leading AW I can't say much, except we don't pick fights, we simply retaliate against them. But you are wrong on certain thing. Corsairs DO brag about attacking Zoner traders. Heck, I think a Corsair or two once bragged about pirating the [TAZ]Oro.de.Veranda (correct me if I'm wrong). But Outcasts don't touch them.

Faction Idea - The Zone Republic - Drake - 10-05-2007

The RP is good, I like the idea. But it's true that you should probably play on the server and hang around the forums for a month or two before starting up a faction.

I don't see any problems with a faction who's not quite an exact copy of their NPC brethren, I see differing viewpoints and subgroups among larger NPC factions to add a lot to the RP of Discovery. However, if your more expansionist and militaristic ways start drawing hostility to the rest of the Zoner population, don't be surprised if they 'officially' disown you and sever all ties. Many Zoners will (in-character, of course) be disapproving of your methods and ideals... Don't expect them to put up with you if you end up causing them real trouble.

Faction Idea - The Zone Republic - snowm - 10-05-2007

//OOC
well in my opinion this faction is plausible, so please if you want to flame me do it by PM, and let the people who are interested in this RP post here:)
//

Faction Idea - The Zone Republic - Gamazson - 10-05-2007

Snowm you have missed a step. You do need to show your faction Idea to the community before you jump to recruitment thread. Members posting their opinions about Zoner Republic in this thread is not going to stop.

Faction Idea - The Zone Republic - uspatriotsf - 10-05-2007

No one is flaming you. But seriously, Nexus is right, you need to get some feedback first. First off I agree with everyone that a Military Zoner faction is kind of an oxy-moron. And when you pick an NPC faction, you should at least follow the basic guidelines for that faction but it doesnt need to be a clone. Zoners main goal is to stay neutral to all.

Lastly, we have 36 official factions and at least 3 new ones starting up, including 2 Zoner factions, thats a lot to choose from. Maybe join up with one of them first then try to branch out on your own in a couple months. I dont know, I just dont understand why everyone comes in and wants to start another new faction.

This is all my opinion and does not represent the community as a whole.

EDIT: Do want to add, that you obviously did put some thought into this which is more than can be said about some others that have tried to start factions. So good job on that.

Faction Idea - The Zone Republic - Jinx - 10-05-2007

the recruitment letter is well written, there is reason and its plausible all in all. but its not what i would join up. i think Jinx represents the rather very passive type of zoner, that disapproves EVERYTHING that might in the slightest way hurt the neutrality between all the great factions that zoners are squeezed into.

That is the reason why Jinx dislikes the effords done by the Asgard Warriors, cause in her opinion, they are troublemakers and that can lead to the zoners downfall in the omicrons. If there was yet another rather aggressive zoner faction, she d have to move even farer away from her home. ( allready moved to delta cause of AW presence in theta )

Your faction may succeed, but like drake said, a lot of zoners might consider you a black sheep. I believe most zoners don t like to parade with their power. a lot of zoners are harmless traders on the edge of legality ( smugglers ) often very protective, but rarely willing to expand their space in military terms.

so expect a lot of resistance - prolly most of the resistance will come from the zoners.

//ooc - but the concept is really good - way to go, and wish you good luck :yahoo:

Faction Idea - The Zone Republic - Equinox - 10-05-2007

' Wrote:No one is flaming you. But seriously, Nexus is right, you need to get some feedback first. First off I agree with everyone that a Military Zoner faction is kind of an oxy-moron. And when you pick an NPC faction, you should at least follow the basic guidelines for that faction but it doesnt need to be a clone. Zoners main goal is to stay neutral to all.

Lastly, we have 36 official factions and at least 3 new ones starting up, including 2 Zoner factions, thats a lot to choose from. Maybe join up with one of them first then try to branch out on your own in a couple months. I dont know, I just dont understand why everyone comes in and wants to start another new faction.

This is all my opinion and does not represent the community as a whole.

EDIT: Do want to add, that you obviously did put some thought into this which is more than can be said about some others that have tried to start factions. So good job on that.

Basically what i would have said so i quoted AC;)