Discovery Gaming Community
Discovery US Relaxed RP - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Freelancer Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Other Discovery Servers (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Discovery US Relaxed RP (/showthread.php?tid=87629)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Discovery US Relaxed RP - Jayce - 08-03-2016

(08-03-2016, 11:28 AM)sindroms Wrote: And we do not, honestly, care about either of them as they both siphon away potential players from the main server and should not exist in the first place. (sun)

Your servers feed on misinformed players who think that Discovery, like most 2016 games, have clusters for NA, EU and so on. They choose the server with the lowest ping, see the 3 players online and give up on Discovery. Players who would have otherwise been potential stayers.

Good job for making it harder for us, just because you wanted a sandbox of your own. Appreciate it.

(yes) Skype emote.

RE: Discovery US Relaxed RP - Juan_Arquero - 08-03-2016

(08-03-2016, 11:28 AM)sindroms Wrote: And we do not, honestly, care about either of them as they both siphon away potential players from the main server and should not exist in the first place. (sun)
I'm sorry, Spazzy, but I couldn't disagree more. As long as I've been playing Freelancer online -- many years -- both on vanilla servers and servers running mods (especially Discovery since 4.81) -- I've always had characters on multiple servers. I don't like putting all my eggs in one basket. If I suspect that one or more players in the next system that I'm planning to travel to are pirates, then I'll log off and switch to another server. While I've had some good experiences on the official/GC Server, most of my bad experiences have been here, such as being killed without warning by a so-called "pirate" or being killed by a pirate because I didn't have 2 million credits (which he should've known based on my level). The pirate players I've met have acted more like terrorists. Filing a sanction report is almost useless, because I've never seen the admins here sanction any cheater that I've reported despite the fact that I've always provided clear evidence via screenshots. In my experience, the players on smaller servers tend to be friendlier than those on larger servers. Don't tell me that I can't understand what it's like to be an admin -- I used to be an admin years ago on an American server that was running the Discovery mod. I've never seen good RP by a pirate -- they've all been PVP whores who just want to grief other players and score blue messages.
Ironically, this thread is about an American server that I've never seen online, so it hasn't siphoned anybody from the official/GC Server.
Edit (because Spazzyedited his post while I was responding to the first version): Playing in my own "sandbox" (i.e. an American server where I get low PING, since I've never owned a server) is often more fun than playing on a populated server which has a PVP whore in every system. Even playing on the French server (where I don't speak the language) is more fun than going back to Square One on the GC Server because a PVP whore wanted a blue message.

"If I suspect that one or more players in the next system that I'm planning to travel to are pirates, then I'll log off and switch to another server."

Exactly the type of player we don't need. You can stay on these 4/200 player servers.

RE: Discovery US Relaxed RP - sindroms - 08-03-2016

I am still trying to figure out why is he bolding out my name.

(08-03-2016, 01:04 PM)sindroms Wrote: I am still trying to figure out why is he bolding out my name.

Spazzy:For many years, I've had the habit of making the name of whomever I'm addressing bold to clarify to whom I'm responding.

RE: Discovery US Relaxed RP - Magnifique - 08-03-2016

Well what you do have more on the official server is this: People who love to blow up less experienced players and gloat about it, people who make fun of less experienced players, who like to humiliate less experienced players, who like to make other people angry, who like to make other people angry enough to violate rules.

If anything is siphoning anyone from other freelancer servers, its the official discoverygc server. Not because it's better, but simply because it has the highest population. Herding instinct. That's really what kept the official server running with high population for the past decade. People were always here for the high population, and not for how the server was run, and not for the "quality" of the population either.

EDIT: Come to think of it, there are occasionally people as described in the first paragraph who pop up on the low population servers, but if the admins let them stay there, they tend to kill off the server activity withing a few months (thinking of Doj's and Alex's stay on Disco UK, and Vicious&co on disco PTC).

(08-03-2016, 12:57 PM)Jayce Wrote: "If I suspect that one or more players in the next system that I'm planning to travel to are pirates, then I'll log off and switch to another server."

Exactly the type of player we don't need. You can stay on these 4/200 player servers.
Jayce:In other words, since I'm not a PVP whore like you, you don't want me around. -- you sound exactly like the type of player that I wouldn't want to be around anyway.

(08-03-2016, 01:22 PM)Magnifique Wrote: Well what you do have more on the official server is this: People who love to blow up less experienced players and gloat about it, people who make fun of less experienced players, who like to humiliate less experienced players, who like to make other people angry, who like to make other people angry enough to violate rules.

If anything is siphoning anyone from other freelancer servers, its the official discoverygc server. Not because it's better, but simply because it has the highest population. Herding instinct. That's really what kept the official server running with high population for the past decade. People were always here for the high population, and not for how the server was run, and not for the "quality" of the population either.

EDIT: Come to think of it, there are occasionally people as described in the first paragraph who pop up on the low population servers, but if the admins let them stay there, they tend to kill off the server activity withing a few months (thinking of Doj's stay on Disco UK, and Vicious on disco PTC).
+1

I'm still playing the Discovery mod, because I love Freelancer, not because I love the official/GC Server where my bad experiences have outnumbered my good experiences.Not all the PVP whores I've encountered have been pirates. I was once killed by a Liberty Navy lolwut because I was hauling criminal pilots (silly me -- I thought that bounty hunting was legal) -- probably a friend of Jayce, if not one of his alts.

(08-03-2016, 01:27 PM)Juan_Arquero Wrote:
(08-03-2016, 12:57 PM)Jayce Wrote: "If I suspect that one or more players in the next system that I'm planning to travel to are pirates, then I'll log off and switch to another server."

Jayce:In other words, since I'm not a PVP whore like you, you don't want me around. -- you sound exactly like the type of player that I wouldn't want to be around anyway.

Nobody on any server got good without dying a few times.

And no, for the record, I don't want you around because you sound like a metagamer that will avoid any non-favorable interaction at the drop of a hat. We have enough of those as it is.

And as for your other comment: yes, yes, the evil Jayce is Disco's Satan. Everything that's bad is my fault and I'm the root of all hatred and villainy on the server.

Or, you could read the laws. Surrender contraband to the law, and you won't get shot.

RE: Discovery US Relaxed RP - Venkman - 08-03-2016

I bet you guys have a lot of events and such right? Right...