Discovery Gaming Community
Trade Development Blog - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Developers Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=183)
+--- Thread: Trade Development Blog (/showthread.php?tid=88081)

RE: Trade Development Blog - Xoria - 11-08-2012

I've just been continuing to plug away for the past 3 weeks at assigning c/sec profit margins to nearly 24,000 commodity prices. I'm nearly finished, with just the Gallic passenger/luxury routes remaining to be done, along with one or two commodities that I had to bypass along the way for one reason or another.

The major system redesign in and around Omega 11 is finally complete, and I'm pleased that we've managed to set up Solarius so that all Diamond routes to House bases will run up through Stuttgart's trade lanes. Aeternus deserves a public thank you for patiently adjusting, readjusting, readjusting again, and again, and again to get jump holes positioned to make that work.

I finally made one major decision I have been postponing for weeks: profit margins for the passenger routes at OSC bases combined with their route destinations. They will be substantially higher than they are currently (but so will everything else). Routes will be limited so that all destinations will have the best profit margins, but there will be no A-B-A routes created. So, if there is a route from Curacao to Hawaii, there will be no route from Hawaii to Curacao, not even at a reduced rate. I am also not creating any routes between Shetland (which will be located in Newcastle) and Kusari bases, because those routes would go through the asteroid field in upper Newcastle, which is a lousy path for a liner. Hawaii and Shetland will also be destinations for passengers from whichever planets are closest to them, sort of the way Zoner Passengers are set up now.

OSC routes will initially appear to be severely limited, however since there will often be destinations to one or two capital planets, and the capital planets offer routes to other planets in each House, it will be possible to string together a large number of A-B-C-A routes for passenger and luxury commodities. There will also be one loop around Sirius going in one direction with House liqours: Berlin-Tokyo-Manhattan-London-Berlin. There will also be a Tokyo-New Paris-Berlin-Tokyo liquor route.

RE: Trade Development Blog - Jack_Henderson - 11-08-2012

Sounds like the idea of focussing activity to lanes that lead to some key systems and channel travel through the bottle neck systems is coming real.

Great job, Xoria and AD! I honestly admire your threshold for pain... the job of calculating, setting, checking, rechecking 24,000 commodity prices... sounds awful. Thank you for doing it nevertheless!

RE: Trade Development Blog - Xoria - 11-09-2012

(11-08-2012, 01:44 PM)Jack_Henderson Wrote: the job of calculating, setting, checking, rechecking 24,000 commodity prices... sounds awful. Thank you for doing it nevertheless!
I'm nerd enough to actually enjoy it, up to a point. I expect that point will be reached before I finish.

I've added a set of purchase points for Shetland's Elixirs beyond the Passenger traffic routes. Industry in Bretonia and Liberty will buy them, as will Kusari planets and Freeports. Otherwise, because Shetland has so many routes coming in, there were only 5 routes going out. I've done something similar for Tea, Holosculptures and Cigars. This bumps the price count over 24,300.

RE: Trade Development Blog - jonfreelanc - 11-10-2012

not to clutter the thread but I will offer up some encouragement because maybe you guys could use some maybe.

as I'm mining diamonds in omega 11 I'm comparing it to a trade route that I usually trade onwhich is currently one of the best I know and I am yet again impressed by how it all is so even.

really nice job

RE: Trade Development Blog - SMI-Great.Fox - 11-11-2012

Major system redesign in Omega 11? Sounds interesting.

Second. Xoria... I hate math.. and you just made me hate numbers even more from that statement. Bravo.

RE: Trade Development Blog - Prysin - 11-11-2012

Next I need to decide how much of a bonus to assign to contraband. If you would like to suggest a percentage bonus, please do. Contraband of all types will cost in the 500 credit range to purchase at their origin.

i'd say 20% bonus. for regular CB (Cardi, Nox, B Diamonds, Arties, Gaian WL, Synth Weed)
and 25% for "unpopular and more serious stuff" - Black Market Munitions (this kinda trading needs more love. its sposed to be the secondary income for sairs and casts and i have onyl seen 4 transports of that suff in the 3 years ive been here)

RE: Trade Development Blog - Govedo13 - 11-11-2012

(11-01-2012, 10:40 PM)Govedo13 Wrote: I cannot get the point really and where exactly is the problem to make the buying prices of the smuggling goods expensive enough (3000-4000$) in order to add the risk factor for smugglers-that would enable them to be as profitable as normal legal cargo but with more risk involved. Also indeed one can bring 3500 units of Cardamine from O Alpha to Manhattan and make 10 930 500 profit or he can bring 5000 units of H fuel from Okinawa to Manhattan and make 11 520 000. It is kinda obvious that smuggling is meh even if we does not consider that everyone and his dog would shoot and pirate you on the way. For me this run should bring around 13-14 m but with same investment to buy the cargo- 13 965 000 for one 3500 load if the price goes from 399 to 3990. So you got the risk leverage in order to justify the higher profits, also there is no 5000 smuggler that can dock on Manhattan if he follow the rules.
I seriously doubt that 4.85 beta would happen again because then we had more suitable IDs for smuggling,5k unlawful smugglers,5k zoner smugglers, P train usable for freelancer/smugglers, no docking rephacks and no mining- I mean if this is the reason to keep smuggling useless and not profitable.
Please elaborate.

RE: Trade Development Blog - Croft - 11-11-2012

In my opinion it'd be better as 20% for standard and 30% for the unpopular stuff though I don't think it'll help much. The biggest issue in regard to smuggling is lack of variation, the main contraband is all directed towards Liberty for the highest pay off. Perhaps some different routes such as Arte's to the Hogosha for a slightly higher payout (Distance plus chance of being stopped/pirated.)

If I can help in anyway please let me know, it's in my best interests to revive smuggling for my upcoming faction.

RE: Trade Development Blog - farmerman - 11-11-2012

I'd really like to see Gaian Wildlife being better priced to move. Mostly because then I can Gaian rescue ship more, but they do come from a really dangerous region now. Slaves should have a good profit margin, too. The moral issues with them means any pirates or police have a lot more options and that's fun. Though I suppose artifacts and cardamine should be good, too. Etc. Etc.

In conclusion, a decently high margin would be good. Maybe the 25% people are saying? But have them priced a lot less to get shipped to the unlawful outlets nearby?

Also, what's the word on where cardamine is going to go down Rheinland way? Have you figured that out yet?

RE: Trade Development Blog - Xoria - 11-13-2012

System work seems to be nearly complete, so I've begun inputting pricing formulas. The good news is that I did such a thorough job in the planning stage that calculating actual prices is proceeding much faster than I anticipated. It looks like I can fully price out about about 5-8 commodities per hour at this point. With 160 commodities, that will still take some time. The bad news is that until my university work is completed on December 10, I will not begin debugging, so it looks like I'll have a couple of weeks with nothing to do on my lunch break.