Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Base Model Improvement: Southampon Shipyard
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: Southampton_Shipyard.jpg]

Quote:The Southampton Shipyards are a massive assemblage of floating steel where most of the Bretonian naval fleet is constructed. The yard is organized around an enormous structure known by most employees as "The Bridge." The Bridge is a well recognized object of pride for most Bretonians, symbolizing the brilliance and dedication of the Bretonian people. Though Southampton is largely controlled by Bretonia Mining and Manufacturing (BMM) and the Bretonia Armed Forces, it is frequented by almost anybody who has business in New London space.

Question: Is it possible the model of Southampon Shipyard to be improved, modified to properly fit its role as currently the only military ships building facility?

Reasons to request this:
-The lore suggests that the shipyard is working to its limits, building both new and older ships. Sadly the current model is not representing that. Here is quote from the Lore of "Bretonia during 818"
Quote:To try and boost their numbers BMM is working at well over normal capacity in Southampton to produce new ships, whilst bringing any available old decommissioned warships back into service, salvaging parts from the Southampton debris field. At the same time, the BAF is converting many civilian vessels into military craft and a sizeable Space Volunteer Corps of over 20,000 civilian fighters has been formed to supplement the regular BAF as auxiliaries to defend their homeland.
-Bretonia is concentrating all of its resources to this shipyard. With reinforcements from Liberty the flow of raw materiels to this base is huge. Sadly all that cant be noticed with the empty drydocks of the shipyard. Its the same just like during Kusari War.

Proposal: If such an improvement to this base model is possible, we in WC will create some proposal scenarios of what exactly to be changed and how the base to be modified to look better and to "scream: We are working to the limits to build you dozens of ships per day".
Still, here are some small ideas of what can be requested:
~ 3 more building platforms, 1 bigger and 2 smaller.
- raw material platform, containing cargo pods, a lot of them.
- few transport ships, both from liberty and bretonia, docking to the cargo platform, delivering goods.
- an additional "command center" for the base, the current one is really small.
- few weak weapon platforms around the base, to represent its highly defended.
- ships in the platforms:
- 1 battleship in the "new bigger" platform
- 2 destroyers and 1 gunboat in each of the current 3 platforms
- 4 templars and 2 challengers in each of the 2 new platforms
- The carrier prototype in one of the platforms (I heard its been added already but just in case)
- 1 gunship prototype near the carrier.

I already discussed with Jinx if such a change can be possible and he told me it is. Nevertheless we need Aeternus's agreement and permission before we plan anything so here is the thread.

Opinions are welcome but please consider the current lore and RP around Bretonia and how that can reflect on Southampton Shipyard.
Good idea but I THINK that this will take lots of time and devs won't do it.
As far as I've been told by Jinx its not gona be hard at all cuz its only a model change. (Replacing model001 with model002 and save. From what I know its like ship models - u can replace Sabre with Rheinland BS and it will work)
It's an awesome idea. Just correct two things, please:

1) You wrote about weapon platforms, and then you mentioned building platforms right after it. It might confuse people, because you didn't actually use the word "building".

2) Snubs in dry docks (I think that's their real name). I suppose snubs are small enough to be assembled in the plants inside. Or to be made on planets. Southampton doesn't sell Templars, anyways.

Besides that, I hope it's easy for the devs and I'm looking forward to it. And to the carrier. I just can't wait to see her and, hopefully, fly her when she's available.
I'm all for it.

Always nice to have some cosmetic changes to Shipyards to represent the current stage of a House.

Only a question if the Devs are willing/have time to do it.

Regards Xelon
Well I do agree that the shipyard could do with an improvement (as we discussed) you have really went with this idea again. Limit yourself man! Tongue

My idea of the changes were an extra dry-dock or few, put a Dunkirk and perhaps the upcoming carrier model too. Smaller ships aren't really necessary (and don't think they are used in this way - mostly destroyers and hegemons) and while I like the added RP value of this and the new Ring model, both will make the place look too cluttered.
The platforms, generally only add a bit of lag with missiles rather than doing much, and I would think AD already has base defence sorted.
So a bit more subtlety with the improvements, but still improvements nonetheless.

It may be an idea for a Dev(min) to get a general thread for these sorts of changes, as I had some ideas/requests about Sabah and others likely do for their own stations.

Thunderer also brought up the point about snubs being built inside, like a production line factory sort of idea.
Well, this wont require days... But this is too... erm... hard to do them to match... But Some bases are really need improvement...
I like it, great idea.
Excessive component number induces lag. So no, a large, multicomponent base inside a house capitol isn't something I'm in favor of. I did add the carrier prototype in a new drydock.
At this point even Aland looks more advanced, so...
Southampton could really use some enhancements to its looks

Aland:
[Image: Aland_Shipyard.jpg]

And you say you are not in favor of multi component bases... well then Galia should get another fix

[Image: 250px-Rambouilette_Shipyard.jpg]

Wink
Pages: 1 2