Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Disco Wiki Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've asked this before, but got no answers, and no one's been able to aid me. I feel this matter is of sufficient importance to the Discovery community to warrant this, and thus I would like to ask any and all active, inactive and/or prospective users of the Discovery Wiki:

1. Would you be able and willing to construct a infobox in a manner similar to the infoboxes of Wookieepedia? This would IMMENSELY aid in the construction of articles and the display of useful data.

2. Do you believe an IU (in-universe) or OOU (out-of-universe) style should be adopted while writing articles about in-universe things? For example:

OOU: "In mission 13 of the SP campaign, Trent uses the gate artifact to activate a Daam K'Vosh hypergate, sucking in the Nomad fleet.

IU: "The Battle of Omicron Major was ended when Colonel Trent, utilising the artifact, activated the Daam K'Vosh hypergate, sucking in a large proportion of the Slomon K'Hara fleet present."

Note that this would likely also apply to categories. For example;

OOU:

Category Name: Characters
"This category is for articles about characters in the Freelancer and Discovery universe"

IU:
Category Name: People
"This category is for the various individuals who have and do play a part in the history of the universe".

3. What titling convention should be used? Should Grosseadmiral Krieg's flagship be at "RWK Krieg" or "RNC Krieg"? Should the page about the Federal Republic of Rheinland's military be at "Rheinwehr" or "Rheinland Military"? Or, to use a non-Germanic example, should the article on the starfleet of the Empire of Kusari be at "Kaigun" or "Kusari Naval Forces"? Currently, I am using their real names and bolding their English translations for identification within the body of the article itself, typically in parenthesis after the usage of the (bolded) real title.

I believe that the development of consensus on these matters and the development of infoboxes would greatly aid the Discovery Wiki, which I have worked hard to populate with informative and clearly written articles for the last few weeks.
And why you put it into Flood?

1) I'd like to see such things, but have no idea how to make them.
2) IU looks much better everywhere.
3) I'd stick to English versions since they are better understandable for general readers. And specify additional names in native languages where necessary.
I put it in Flood primarily to avoid accidental post count gain if I needed to bump the thread. Feel free to move it. People more experienced with the Wiki software and the creation of tables might be an asset here (though I know none of them), I agree with you on IU, and the main reason I went with foreign names is for accuracy, and to avoid inconsistencies (if we are going to make it English, Landwirtrechtwegung should be at Farmer's Rights Movement (Rheinland)).

Another issue would be seperating game mechanics stats (for derivation in RP or for help with game-related issues) and RP stats, such as the page I've created here. Some people probably go to the Wiki for info on how to best outfit a ship or find a gun, and others might go there to find more information for an RP story or about a character they saw in-game.

To a lesser extent, it would also be nice to have tables for things like Kriegsmarine ship classes (with subclasses offered like fighters, bombers, capital ships etc) or conflicts (there's enough of them to make a series and userboxes for wars, such as the 80 Years War, Nomad War and Bretonia-Kusari War)
I think with the names, we need to use what is in-game. At least, for the factions. So LWB would still be Landwirtrechtwegung, not Farmer's Rights Movement, and then with LWB put somewhere in there.

Such as;
The Landwirtrechtwegung, or Farmer's Rights Movement, is dedicated to the destruction of Synth Foods. Landwirtrechtwegung is often referred to by LWB for short.

Very short version there of course, and I don't really know their true goals, but its an example of a way to IU the description, while still using the name everyone would be familiar with.

On the matter of your ship stats. That I would see as fine in separating the names. Rheinland Battleship has the in-game stats, while Mjolner-Class would give the RP stats. (If only we could actually go 500km/s..)
And conflicts should always be written IU in my opinion..
Seperation sounds like a good idea. Ideally, OOU articles would link to the OOU versions and IU articles would link to the IU versions. For those who may be interested in infoboxes, I would be interested in a userbox that can display (as fill outs, living characters would leave the death entry blank, sketchy organisations would leave out unknown parts etc):

Character Infobox
Image:
Name:
Date of Birth:
Date of Death:
Homeworld:
Nationality:
Religion:
Affiliation:
Known Aliases:

Organisation Infobox
Image:
Name:
Type:
Date of Founding:
Date of Dissolution:
Leader:
Founder:
Primary Role:
Secondary Role(s):
Base of Operations:

Conflict
Image:
Name:
Starting date:
Ending date:
Side 1:
Side 2:
Side 1 leaders:
Side 2 leaders:
Notable conflicts:
Place:
Side 1 casualties:
Side 2 casualties:

Ship Infobox
Image:
Name:
Length:
Height:
Class:
Optimal Combat Speed:
Optimal Stellar Speed:
Maximum Stellar Speed:
Optimal Atmospheric Speed:
Maximum Atmospheric Speed:
Armament:
Crew:
Complement:

To use examples for each one:

Name: Arthur Whymper
Date of Birth: 731
Date of Death:
Homeworld: New London
Nationality: Bretonian
Religion: Anglican
Affiliation: Himself, United Kingdom of Bretonia, Bretonian Armed Forces
Known Aliases:

Name: Blue Lotus Syndicate
Type: Smuggling Cartel
Date of Founding: Pre-800 AS
Date of Dissolution:
Leader: Grand Master Zacarias Poncho
Founder: Grand Master Roberto Rastapopoulos
Primary Role: Cardamine Smuggling
Secondary Role(s): Supporting the Outcast economy, combating Corsairs
Base of Operations: Planet Malta

Name: Bretonia-Kusari War
Starting date: 813
Ending date:
Side 1: United Kingdom of Bretonia
Side 2: Empire of Kusari
Side 1 leaders: Queen Carina I, Bretonian Armed Forces High Command
Side 2 leaders: Kusari Emperor, Daihonei
Notable conflicts: Assault on Harris
Place: Tau systems
Side 1 casualties:
Side 2 casualties:

Name: N9-ARKM-90 Wrath class fighter
Length: 13 m
Height: 2.5 m
Class: Fighter
Optimal Combat Speed: 1 kms-1
Optimal Stellar Speed: 3800 kms-1
Maximum Stellar Speed: 8000 kms-1
Optimal Atmospheric Speed: 400 kms-1
Maximum Atmospheric Speed: 600 kms-1
Armament: 2x Improved Debilitators (30 kt per shot), 3x Improved Hornvipers MK II (8 kt per shot)
Crew: 1 (pilot)
Complement:
For ship's OOC stats; put it into the infoboxes, and maybe add a OOC or trivia subsection if there's more worth to mention, but avoid creating more pages then necessary. Also, I would suggest to keep OOC at a minimum and stay IU as often as possible, it's a roleplaying server after all.

Faction names should be the ones used on your rep sheet ingame. Everyone will search for "Kusari Naval Forces", but very few will search for "Kaigun", I think.
' Wrote:For ship's OOC stats; put it into the infoboxes, and maybe add a OOC or trivia subsection if there's more worth to mention, but avoid creating more pages then necessary. Also, I would suggest to keep OOC at a minimum and stay IU as often as possible, it's a roleplaying server after all.

Faction names should be the ones used on your rep sheet ingame. Everyone will search for "Kusari Naval Forces", but very few will search for "Kaigun", I think.

Thing is, though, the infoboxes would be part of the IU section. Also, issues like you've described wouldn't really matter with redirects, which are very easy to set up. So, for example, Kusari Naval Forces might be:

#REDIRECT[Kaigun]

Going by IG-name produces odd inconsitencies, like the LWB example above. I'd prefer we either keep it at all-English names (with the real names bolded first in the article) or with real names.
' Wrote:Thing is, though, the infoboxes would be part of the IU section. Also, issues like you've described wouldn't really matter with redirects, which are very easy to set up. So, for example, Kusari Naval Forces might be:

#REDIRECT[Kaigun]

Going by IG-name produces odd inconsitencies, like the LWB example above. I'd prefer we either keep it at all-English names (with the real names bolded first in the article) or with real names.

Redirects sound fine to me then.
Ok, so I tried making a template and... it appears this wiki installation doesn't support parser functions. So no "if"s or "ifeq"s allowed, so the templates will have to be pretty basic. I was going to upload a "no image" picture as a replacement for the ugly noimage link, but it appears that the upload feature is disabled as well so I couldn't do that either.

Anyways, the good news is that I made a basic Faction infobox template which can be seen here along with the usage help.

Copy/paste/enjoy for now. I might try and make the others a bit later. In the mean time, one of you blokes be so kind and amend the RHA article with that:P
Exactly what I was looking for. Now all we need is character, vehicle and location infoboxes.
Pages: 1 2