Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Ship Ideas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We all have these ideas bubbling in our heads... well, possibly most of us. I've got a few I'll draw on paper and send to the leaders of discovery, so all I've got are names for my three. But instead of bragging about my own, I wanna see your ideas instead! Drawings would be cool too if you want to post em. And maybe... JUST maybe they'll make em real in FL.
I have some drawing os my own but one ship that I wold love to see added is the ships that launch off the planet in the opening video, taking the different nations to their homes.
Colony ships? Now that could open a can of beans in the MODing world of FL. Can you imagine being able to buy a colony ship, fly it out to a planet and colonize it? How many systems would they have to add unknown ones with possible life, possible threats to the colonists. Too friggin cool. But I doubt it could happen.
Threading a Battlestar around the Discovery galaxy is hard enough from what I've heard, let alone a ship big enough to populate an entire system. Kinda nice idea, but I'd say more novel than anything, a l? Mars Flyer.

As for ship designs... hmm. I have been meaning to learn the ins and outs of ship modelling/skinning and implementation for Freelancer for a while. I've got the 3d part down, from quite a bit of experience with various incarnations of 3dsmax, my mental block at the moment is the actual designs. It's ok when you're just throwing ideas out from the top of your head, but the design styles in this game are quite unique.

I was planning on designing a few ships to fill certain gaps in the mod, for instance more House Faction Bombers and a Pirate Gunboat. I wanted to stay as close to the original styles as possible, without cutting-and-shutting parts together to make the bland, uninspired ship collages you see in other mods. There is a plethora of design ideas to work with, I'm just drawing blanks at the moment :0/

Here's a quick brainstorm I intended to work with, for example:

Bretonian Bomber
Theme: Fish/Aquarian, Style: 60's/70's sci-fi (think Captain Scarlet), Texture: Medieval armour/gothic building, muted browns/yellows/greens fish-like colouring, Characteristics: Fins/tail, bulbous front window (again, 60's/70's sci-fi submarine).

Hope that gives somebody some ideas to work with, I'll try and get round to doing something myself as soon as I get the time :0)
We did add in a ship almost the exact same to the colony ships. The Huegenot. If you look at it it looks tha same but a bit shorter than the colony ships. And it isn't too big.

Oh and those colony ships didn't populate whole systems. They landed on a planet and had about 500,000 to a million people onboard. Systems would require about 30 billion. They were just startup ships. They land and the people inside use what was brought and begin to build settlements while finding stuff on the planet to use. Much like how earth was built up, but much much quicker. So really they wouldn't have to be too big. They are only the size of 3-4 Osiris BSs, if you look at the one in Manhatten. Its the large building right behind the ship pad on the planet.
The ships i have designed when i was younger are way too big for discovery (8+ Km long). And their technology has nothing to do with that of FL...

Colony ships' idea is not doable.
My Freelancer history is rusty, but in effect the sleeper ships eventually populated the whole systems they landed in (and then some). To do that in a relatively small number of generations would require quite a large populace to begin with, which the colony ships had. That's all I meant from my comment but thanks for the explanation anyway.

Back on topic, how about someone compiles a list of ships that fit into the categories already in Discovery, but are currently absent? That way any new ship designs people come up with won't just be another obsolete fighter.
Dab,Jul 24 2006, 05:13 AM Wrote:We did add in a ship almost the exact same to the colony ships. The Huegenot. If you look at it it looks tha same but a bit shorter than the colony ships. And it isn't too big.

Oh and those colony ships didn't populate whole systems. They landed on a planet and had about 500,000 to a million people onboard. Systems would require about 30 billion. They were just startup ships. They land and the people inside use what was brought and begin to build settlements while finding stuff on the planet to use. Much like how earth was built up, but much much quicker. So really they wouldn't have to be too big. They are only the size of 3-4 Osiris BSs, if you look at the one in Manhatten. Its the large building right behind the ship pad on the planet.
[snapback]27479[/snapback]

First off I wasn't talking about making a ship the size of a planet... But I agree with dab the ships were't much larger than a BS and they carried a limited amount of people and supplies. And a few 100,000 people would well more than enouph to populate a planet in a relativly short period of time. and a million would be enouph to populate liberty space in a short period of time.

Anyways it was just an idea I think that the ships look very good and would like to see them maybe as a passenger transport ship with like 10,000 cargo or something like that. Of course you would have to avoid most debree and asteroid fields.