Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Heya, new guy here!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey, just started playing Discovery yesterday and I have some questions.

First how can I see the full sector map ingame? Currently im not seeing the full map - i got to this conclusion since i couldnt find the Gas Compression Facillity suggest as a good place to sell the hellium i mine(now im traveling to honshu to sell it and its a drag :\), and ive seen ppl discussing locations i can not find on my map.

Second - how can i join a player faction, and whats there to do except trading to get more money to get a bigger ship to trade some more xD

Third - i need help with choosing a ship and what weapons to use on it. Currently ive decided on a light bomber or a heavy fighter. For now ive stopped on the Orchid If this is a good enough choice what weapons should I be getting and whats the best ID for this ship.
(07-02-2013, 08:41 AM)underm1nd Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, just started playing Discovery yesterday and I have some questions.

First how can I see the full sector map ingame? Currently im not seeing the full map - i got to this conclusion since i couldnt find the Gas Compression Facillity suggest as a good place to sell the hellium i mine(now im traveling to honshu to sell it and its a drag :\), and ive seen ppl discussing locations i can not find on my map.

Second - how can i join a player faction, and whats there to do except trading to get more money to get a bigger ship to trade some more xD

Third - i need help with choosing a ship and what weapons to use on it. Currently ive decided on a light bomber or a heavy fighter. For now ive stopped on the Orchid If this is a good enough choice what weapons should I be getting and whats the best ID for this ship.

Hello and welcome to discovery...

first of all read the rules and regulations of disco like about roleplaying.

then about your questions,

1 ). Buddy listen up its called discovery so you wont get complete discovery map in starting like if you use /RESTART command you will get information about that house only ,you have to discover stations in whole sirius by yourself and you can use discovery wiki if you need help about Jump holes , Systems , Commodities , Ships , etc.

2 ). You can join the official factions by filling recruitment application which is at their respective recritment pages but let me warn you. You Need to Know about rules of discovery very nicely and keep all rules in your mind never forget them inorder to join official factions.I RECOMMEND you stay independent for a WEEK or so and see how the official guys roleplay and learn from them like if u r in liberty see how [LN] , LPI ,DSE , |*USI*| tagged guys roleplay and understand.

All the factions are not about trading like police factions are for protection of. traders within the house so u r job is to scan lanes and make sure they are clear and if their are pirates u deal with them while if u r in wrong side of law u can disrupt lanes and pirate traders personally i like the piracy side more.

3). Usage of ships directly depend on id u r carrying for example if u r using freelancer u can use civilian and borderline ships like eagle and sabre and guns like flahpoints and delbilators.look up at tech chart on discovery wiki for more information about which ships and weapons you can use with which id's.

Hope i helped
see u in space pilot.....
Dan's right but I'll add to it:

1: You can view the galaxy map rather than the system map by pressing the interlocking circles icon at the top of your normal map. Which you get by pressing f6. However I believe the bas you are talking about is a custom base built by a player, you wont be able to see them on your map. To find out about them, visit the POB forum:

http://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=61

2: As Dan said only some factions are traders, here's the faction section where you can apply to join:

http://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=60

But I agree with Dan, best to stay a freelancer and explore and discover for a bit first, get to know the mod before really getting into it.

3: Heres the Tech compatibility chart:

http://discoverygc.com/wiki/techcompat_table.php

Which shows you which ID (right) works with what tech (top). However be aware that (despite what people complain about) all the ships are fairly balanced, especially for the skills of a newb, so it doesnt really matter what ship you get, as long as its the class (fighter, bomber, transport, ect.) that you want. Best to choose the ID and role you want (policeman, pirate, freelancer) and have fun playing that with their default ship, than to choose your role based on the ship.
(07-02-2013, 09:23 AM)Daniel.Blake Wrote: [ -> ]Snip

(07-02-2013, 09:51 AM)Hone Wrote: [ -> ]Snip

Ok Ive read all the guides, and i went on the wiki and to the POB Forum but i still can not find out where is the Gas Compression Facility. Everything else Ive kinda figured out to a sensible degree(Choosing weapons will be a real pain with just the spreadsheet but oh well xD) But I really need atleast some directions for that station so i can make some creds faster(Traveling to honshu is too much of a trip)
(07-02-2013, 09:53 AM)underm1nd Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-02-2013, 09:23 AM)Daniel.Blake Wrote: [ -> ]Hello and welcome to discovery...

first of all read the rules and regulations of disco like about roleplaying.

then about your questions,

1 ). Buddy listen up its called discovery so you wont get complete discovery map in starting like if you use /RESTART command you will get information about that house only ,you have to discover stations in whole sirius by yourself and you can use discovery wiki if you need help about Jump holes , Systems , Commodities , Ships , etc.

2 ). You can join the official factions by filling recruitment application which is at their respective recritment pages but let me warn you. You Need to Know about rules of discovery very nicely and keep all rules in your mind never forget them inorder to join official factions.I RECOMMEND you stay independent for a WEEK or so and see how the official guys roleplay and learn from them like if u r in liberty see how [LN] , LPI ,DSE , |*USI*| tagged guys roleplay and understand.

All the factions are not about trading like police factions are for protection of. traders within the house so u r job is to scan lanes and make sure they are clear and if their are pirates u deal with them while if u r in wrong side of law u can disrupt lanes and pirate traders personally i like the piracy side more.

3). Usage of ships directly depend on id u r carrying for example if u r using freelancer u can use civilian and borderline ships like eagle and sabre and guns like flahpoints and delbilators.look up at tech chart on discovery wiki for more information about which ships and weapons you can use with which id's.

Hope i helped
see u in space pilot.....

Ok Ive read all the guides, and i went on the wiki but i still can not find out where is the Gas Compression Facility. Everything else Ive kinda figured out to a sensible degree(Choosing weapons will be a real pain with just the spreadsheet but oh well xD) But I really need atleast some directions for that station so i can make some creds faster(Traveling to honshu is too much of a trip xD)

Bro these are player bases you are talking about you wont find them on wiki and the base you are talking about is of IMG these bases have docking rights so you need to contact the official faction to get docking rights and one more thing bro TRADING TAKES TIME thats the TRUTH and most Highly PROFITABLE trade routes are longest so you need to travel long distances inorder to make good money with a good transport.Intially u will suffer but once u get 5000 cargo ship u will make in millons in one trip .
(07-02-2013, 10:08 AM)Daniel.Blake Wrote: [ -> ]Snip

Discovery Beginner's Guide:

/restart Miner
- This restart puts you on Planet Erie, with a light mining ship and a Miner ID. Even though the ship it gives you is a good ship for mining, it lacks the cargo space to make the run profitable for you.
Buy a Rhino
- When you use the restart, you'll be kicked from the server. Don't worry, it's just your character files getting updated by the server. Once you reconnect, buy a Rhino from the ship dealer on Erie and equip it with some chainguns.
Mine Helium
- The mining field for Helium is in the cloud behind planet Erie. Fly into the field until you see the smaller asteroids floating around. By shooting those asteroids, mined Helium will go straight into your cargo hold. Keep shooting the rocks until your cargo is full.
Sell on [CBL] Gas Compression Facility
- Once you're full, sell the cargo on [CBL] Gas Compression Facility (Which is an IMG affiliated player base located in D3, buying Helium for 1100 - 1500sc per piece.) and head back to the field to mine another load of Helium.

So this is not really for beginners? The only reason that im trying to find that station is because its mentioned in the beginners guide as the place to use. Im already doing 1 mil a trip to Honshu with a Rhino(4800 creds a pop) But if this station(if it even still exists, as i cant find any info even on the forums) is closer id prefer going there for less profit. Im not interested in trading my whole idea was to use this just until i get enough creds for a good ship and equipment so i can start doing other things.
First off, Welcome to Disco!

Now, i see most of your questions have been answered, but in regards to the station you're looking for - as mentioned in the guide it is found in the D3 sector of the Pennsylvania System, just press F6 (or what hotkey you have for NavMap), then set a waypoint on D3 and you're good to go, the station shouldn't be too hard to notice visually after that.

Anyway, good luck and have fun! And if you have other questions, feel free to ask onward.
(07-02-2013, 10:16 AM)underm1nd Wrote: [ -> ][CBL] Gas Compression Facility (Which is an IMG affiliated player base located in D3,

Why are you asking us when its right there?
I'm telling you, there is something fish about this.
First of all welcome here
I think we be great friends
And Have Fun Here Big Grin.
Pages: 1 2