Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Im sorry, but can someone plz help me understand all this?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am by no means new to Freelancer. But I AM new to discovery, and, frankly, I love it! I love the new ships. I love the role playing. But this community has me more than a little confused about some things.

1: I am given the impression that it is possible to rename my ship. How? Am I just changing my character name? Or is my ship name and character name separate?

2: I am also given the impression that it is possible to own more than one ship, unlike vanilla freelancer. How is this possible?

3: The PVP rules are very extensive, and I understand the necessity of this. But how far does this go? I originally wanted to role play a man whose father was killed by pirates, and after selling the family business to buy a combat vessel, goes out hunting any and all pirates he can find.

Unfortunately, simply flying around and attacking any and all pirate players I find while screaming "DIE PIRATE SCUM!!!" seems to be against the rules. I MUST join a faction, such as the BHG. THEN I can only hunt those bounties that are posted (and just happen to catch the guy somewhere in the vastness of this game while he is online)? And further, I'm NOT allowed to fly a gunboat in house space? Why? I'm not an unlawful.

So maybe I will join another faction: The liberty navy wont let me fly a gunboat either.

Maybe Ill fly with the pirates instead. Since my original role play idea isn't feasible, maybe ill try something that will allow me more freedom of choice AND net me some action now and then. Surely a pirate factions rules wont be so strict, right?

Nope. Liberty rogues restricts gunboat usage to the leadership only.

I understand role playing and all, but I'm here to have fun. Not grind away my free time for the next 3 years while I work my way up the social ladder/rank structure flying a cheap unarmored vessel (liberty rogue recruits are required to do this).

Please don't misinterpret the above as whining or b****ing. Im just trying to understand this communities rules, and find my place within it.

Im sure I have other questions, but I cant think of any right now, and any more and this topic will surely turn into a Stephen R. Donaldson novel. So ill leave it at that for now.

Thanks ahead of time for anyone with the patience to help me out.
1) In-game, to rename your ship, dock at a base, press Enter (to open chat) and type:

/renameme YourNameHere

Where "YourNameHere" is the new name you want. This costs 2 million credits each time. You can rename a ship at most once per week.

2) On the character selection screen, you can create up to five characters on your account. However, you can have an infinite number of accounts. You need to acquire the Discovery Launchpad tool to manage your accounts before you can make any more.

3) All characters must have an ID equipped on their ship. This determines the roleplay options open to your character. Also, you may have read that factions don't permit ships to those outside certain ranks, etc, but bear in mind that you do not have to join a player faction. Provided you have the correct ID and matching IFF, you can fly whatever ships are permitted by your ID.

However, joining a player faction does have benefits, as they offer a support network, particularly useful for those new to the server.
(07-08-2013, 02:58 AM)Echo 7-7 Wrote: [ -> ]1) In-game, to rename your ship, dock at a base, press Enter (to open chat) and type:

/renameme YourNameHere

Where "YourNameHere" is the new name you want. This costs 2 million credits each time. You can rename a ship at most once per week.

2) On the character selection screen, you can create up to five characters on your account. However, you can have an infinite number of accounts. You need to acquire the Discovery Launchpad tool to manage your accounts before you can make any more.

3) All characters must have an ID equipped on their ship. This determines the roleplay options open to your character. Also, you may have read that factions don't permit ships to those outside certain ranks, etc, but bear in mind that you do not have to join a player faction. Provided you have the correct ID and matching IFF, you can fly whatever ships are permitted by your ID.

However, joining a player faction does have benefits, as they offer a support network, particularly useful for those new to the server.

Thank you. So who what faction would I want to join to enable me to carry out my original role play plan? Which essentially means that I would be attacking any pirate player I find (pirates, not just anyone that happens to be red to me). Is this allowed?

I don't want to just start blasting without making sure that I'm not breaking any of this communities rules.
Well, first of all welcome to Discovery my friend. I will try to explane you some thinks as best i can.

1. Yes you can rename your char and you can do that by typing /renameme <name that you want to use>. To do this you will need two milion credits each time you want to change your name.

2. As Echo said it, you can download Discovery Launchpad or you can download Freelancer Account manager it is up to you what will you choose, but lots of people use Launchpad.

3. Almost all factions are more for having people in snubs and bombers that in CAPITAL ships. You don't have to join any faction, but it will be better for you to do that. By joining a faction like Liberty Rogues for example or Outcasts gives you a chance to develop your RP skills and learn some new and authentical RP.

If you have anymore questions you can contact me on Skype, my Skype name is: ognjen.cigoja2
Hey there. Welcome to Disco!

I'll try and help you better understand and clarify some of the things you've asked.

Quote:1: I am given the impression that it is possible to rename my ship. How? Am I just changing my character name? Or is my ship name and character name separate?

Yes! You can easily do this after you have initially named your ship. You do this by hitting enter and typing "/renename <name>". You will also see people with what are called tags before their name. [LN]-<name>, CR|-<name>, etc. The [LN] and CR| are tags, to represent a faction. So take note that if you are trying to name it following the same conventions as an official faction, they will have their tag locked. For instance, the tag "CR|" before someones character name means they are part of the Colonial Republic, and the tag is password protected. Only way to have a ship named CR|<name> is to join said faction. Please keep in mind, that renaming cost 2million per rename, and you cannot rename for another 7 days.

-Source-

Quote:2: I am also given the impression that it is possible to own more than one ship, unlike vanilla freelancer. How is this possible?

You can have up to 5 characters under one account. When you log into Freelancer, select multiplayer, and select the Server, hit "New Character" then name it. Many of people use Discovery Launchpad, which allows you to create and have multiple accounts, each having a max of 5 characters. More info can be found following the link below:

-Source-

Quote:3: The PVP rules are very extensive, and I understand the necessity of this. But how far does this go? I originally wanted to role play a man whose father was killed by pirates, and after selling the family business to buy a combat vessel, goes out hunting any and all pirates he can find.

Easily done. Though, it all depends on your ID. As a Freelancer, you cannot attack unless they have a bounty on their head and you are registered (Look here), or in Self Defense. But, you can create a police character and hunt down pirates within the systems of that House. Of course this limits you to only hunting pirates within that house. If you do though wish to hunt pirates all over Sirius, that requires more work. What I would suggest is create a character, and apply to all major house Lawful bounty boards. This will allow you to hunt pirates or those listed within the houses, and hey! Even get paid for it. The blanket bounties are found here.

-Source-

Quote:Unfortunately, simply flying around and attacking any and all pirate players I find while screaming "DIE PIRATE SCUM!!!" seems to be against the rules.

You must RP first before engaging anyone. a simple "Die Pirate Scum" is not acceptible. A "Look what we have here! A pirate" - pause for response- "My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die" IS acceptable. But you must RP first with them.

Quote:And further, I'm NOT allowed to fly a gunboat in house space? Why? I'm not an unlawful.

You are allowed use of gunboats within House space. But, keep in mind, that if you fly a Rheinland Gunboat into Liberty, you will have issues. Because Liberty and Rheinland are at war, so wouldn't make much sense. Only capships, cruiser size or larger and all together forbidden. Read up on the Laws of Sirius to see which ships are allowed, plus handy for other rules as well that your ID may not show.

-Source-

Quote:So maybe I will join another faction: The liberty navy wont let me fly a gunboat either.

Not sure who told you this, but you can be a non-faction Navy pilot. many are. Just don't expect to be a Freelancer ID'd pilot flying a Liberty navy gunboat. You must have the appropriate ID and at least green IFF (Meaning rep). Most have indy characters around that are not part of a faction. But, you are still restricted to the ID rules/Server Rules/House rules.

Hope this helps!

Edit: Ninja'd
(07-08-2013, 03:10 AM)TomMorse Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you. So who what faction would I want to join to enable me to carry out my original role play plan? Which essentially means that I would be attacking any pirate player I find (pirates, not just anyone that happens to be red to me). Is this allowed?

I don't want to just start blasting without making sure that I'm not breaking any of this communities rules.

Previously, there was a "Vigilante ID" that would suit your needs well. However, since that was removed, there is a need to be a bit more creative without breaking the rules.

Some options:

1) Pirate ID. Pirates can attempt piracy against anyone - even other pirates.

2) Bounty Hunters Guild ID. You can go anywhere in the four original Houses, and you can shoot pirates. You'll even get paid!

2) Some kind of lawful ID (eg. Liberty Navy). You will be restricted to your house of origin, for the most part, but otherwise you have carte blanche to blow up pirates.

http://discoverygc.com/wiki/ID

Take a look through here and see if there's something that catches your eye.
WOW! Such an overwhelming and helpful response!

Thanks everyone. Great indicator of a helpful and rich community.

I'm looking forward to killing many a pirate. (Then Inigio Montoya thing tickled me a little. lol)
Echo,

remember BHG arent welcome in Kusari.
You could also go for Freelancer ID, and look for bounty contracts on the forum.
Suggestion: you can also join the LSF and put all that pirate-killing-rage for good use protecting Liberty.
New York is a great place to hunt pirates all day long.

Plus, we're an agency, so we have more autonomy than your usual military for killing stuff =P
Pages: 1 2