Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Server Noob! Need Help!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can someone tell me how to administrate the server? I just started one and totally do not know where to start.

Is there somewhere I can read up purely on the server administration part?

How do you change the server welcome message when you log in?

Is there like an admin ship I can use? sort of like a GM character?
(07-30-2013, 03:30 PM)Duios Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone tell me how to administrate the server? I just started one and totally do not know where to start.

I am in the process of creating a tutorial on how to setup, customize and administer a Freelancer Discovery server. I will post the link when I'm done.

Kelly
(07-31-2013, 04:03 PM)KellyR Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-30-2013, 03:30 PM)Duios Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone tell me how to administrate the server? I just started one and totally do not know where to start.

I am in the process of creating a tutorial on how to setup, customize and administer a Freelancer Discovery server. I will post the link when I'm done.

Kelly

Thanks Kelly! that would be great. Cos apart from Setcash I have no idea what other command can be used lol
After starting up your server, you can type help in the console for a list of available administrator commands to experiment with. It should keep you busy until Kelly finishes that tutorial.

Kelly

Yeah. help in the console or .help in-game (so long as you have set the character to have some kind of ADMIN rights). You can use the following command to give your admin character full admin rights: in the console type 'setadmin playername superadmin' without the quotes and substitute the name of your ADMIN character for playername. That will let that character use all the dot commnads in-game. Still working on the tutorial. There's a lot of material involec in the setup and customization of a server and I only have about 2 to 3 hours a day to work on it.

Kelly
(08-04-2013, 03:39 AM)Potter Harry Wrote: [ -> ]After starting up your server, you can type help in the console for a list of available administrator commands to experiment with. It should keep you busy until Kelly finishes that tutorial.
that did keep me busy ^^

(08-08-2013, 06:50 PM)KellyR Wrote: [ -> ]

Kelly

Yeah. help in the console or .help in-game (so long as you have set the character to have some kind of ADMIN rights). You can use the following command to give your admin character full admin rights: in the console type 'setadmin playername superadmin' without the quotes and substitute the name of your ADMIN character for playername. That will let that character use all the dot commnads in-game. Still working on the tutorial. There's a lot of material involec in the setup and customization of a server and I only have about 2 to 3 hours a day to work on it.

Kelly
wow thanks. that basically helped me do most of what i wanted to do. looking forward to the tutorial ^^
The tutorial is now ready. I have a copy in HTML format so you can look at it online and also a copy in Word (doc) format so you can download it. Here are the links.

Web version: http://www.discovery-freeplay.com/servertutorial.html

Downloadable Version: http://www.discovery-freeplay.com/servertutorial.doc

If you don't have MS Word, you can always use OpenOffice.org to view it.

And as always, if there is something you just can't get your head around, PM me here and I'll help all I can.

Kelly
I would suggest making a thread about your tutorial here.
(08-15-2013, 04:54 PM)KellyR Wrote: [ -> ]The tutorial is now ready. I have a copy in HTML format so you can look at it online and also a copy in Word (doc) format so you can download it. Here are the links.

And as always, if there is something you just can't get your head around, PM me here and I'll help all I can.

Kelly
Hello,
I am not sure is this right place for feedback, but I will post it here:
This guide is very good and even I understand it, I only found one "error" from guide:
Code:
This is also to enforce role playing. A player with a Liberty Navy ID shouldn't be flying a Rheinland Battleship. Or a Bretonia, Kusari, Nomad etc battleship.
Playing with liberty navy id and using Bretonian Bs makes sense inRP because they are close allys,
This is not big mistake but some new player might read it and understand Liberty - Bretonia RP wrong.

aakopa
(08-15-2013, 05:42 PM)aakopa Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-15-2013, 04:54 PM)KellyR Wrote: [ -> ]The tutorial is now ready. I have a copy in HTML format so you can look at it online and also a copy in Word (doc) format so you can download it. Here are the links.

Kelly
Hello,
I am not sure is this right place for feedback, but I will post it here:
This guide is very good and even I understand it, I only found one "error" from guide:
Code:
This is also to enforce role playing. A player with a Liberty Navy ID shouldn't be flying a Rheinland Battleship. Or a Bretonia, Kusari, Nomad etc battleship.
Playing with liberty navy id and using Bretonian Bs makes sense inRP because they are close allys,
This is not big mistake but some new player might read it and understand Liberty - Bretonia RP wrong.

aakopa

Not really a mistake per se. From what I understand Liberty ID players take a powercore reduction if they use Bretonia ships and vice versa. I might be wrong here, but even if I am, no one is forcing an ADMIN to use the ship restriction/equipment restriction portions of the playercntl plugins. An admin doesn't have to enforce role play. He can use that section to make it to where only Liberty and Bretonia navy can purchase Liberty ships and the same for Bretonia ships with Bretonia and Liberty Navy being allowed to. buy. That's te beauty of the plugin. It gives more control to the ADMIN to shape his server the way he wants, making it unique.

Kelly
Pages: 1 2