Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: How do we clean up the houses?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok, I realise this is a bit of a sweeping generalisation (sorry to those lawful Libertonians/Kusarians/Rheinlanders/Bretonians who do actually RP), but it's done in the aftermath of yet another dissatisfactory encounter with a player (players) using LNS/RNC/whatever as a prefix.

The fact is, I'm used to the Omicrons and the Taus. where player-to-player encounters are considerably more rarified/localised (in the case of Tau 23), and thus often prove more rewarding as even hostiles are more likely to go through a meaningful RP with you than just see you as a walking bluemessage. Even in Omicron 74 (no TBF here, we've all heard this before), I can say I can derive a meaningful RP encounter from nearly every hostile situation I find myself in, perhaps 10 minutes of it. Call me weird or something but I actually find playing a Robot who can't talk English without fragmenting every sentence actually fun. And I'm sensing that's not just me, for whatever RP role you pick for yourself.

Now let's cut to that wonder of wonders; House Space.

I play the role of a pirate entirely for RP. To be honest I can't see exactly why anyone would play any role for anything other than RP here, but there you go. Yes, all you traders who think pirates exist just to disturb your cashgrind (srry I'm slapping the community a bit here), I do it for the Rp. I do it for the happy times I end up floating away without a penny gained nor a shot fired from (or at) a trader after 10 minutes of situational RP with them, after they actually consent to the stoppage message I wire them instead of continually silentcruising to the lane in attempt to manipulate my usage of the system chat window as an escape mechanism. I don't care particularly if I get no cash from it, or even lose cash, as money is meaningless. Again, snac'ing someone to death for his/her arrogance is also fun... for about 5 seconds.

Considering it's nearly impossible to earn cash out of piracy since traders are non-existent and the "Arrrgh kill all lulwutty Rogues/Hessians/Hackers/Blood Dragons/Outcast/Corsair " indies are still breeding like rabbits (who, in the instance of five minutes ago, accused me of butthurt when he silently engaged me to death), RP is everything. Too bad a lot of the house lawful players (now expecting a lot of offended replies to the contrary, sorry about that and I love it when I actually do bump into you people, you're good guys), appear to consider Rp nothing more than an irksome little detail precluding an engagement message and another dead pirate purged from their dominion.

The extreme examples are those who blindfire you merely because you're flying a distinctly pirate-like ship, or fire at you once you're inRp dead, "because they can". A certain somebody within the last 24 hours happened to use "COVERING" as an engagement message... fun.

So. Back to five minutes ago, me, in an under gunned something bomber cruising towards Planet Somewhere in an attempt to make use of the temporary base upheaval to get past all the pirategank platforms, whilst flitting knowledgably towards an Unidentifiable cruiser, two thingy snubs, and some unmentionably questionable Some sort of CIA-like organisation tagged player with the expectation of at least getting some form of RP in from such a gathering before being blown to hell. When the actual gunfire hit I was so resigned from the message contents I just killed my engines and waited for the blue message with resignation in my heart.

This is a problem I'm pretty sure a lot of people share... so what can we do about it Disco? The irritancy is, we have a deterrent (sanctions) for no-Rp'ers, but sanctions at then end of the day would still require 1000 more Arelems at the rate the community generates reports, to be totally effective. Plus there's not always time to screenshot, or chat logs to save or whatever else proves pertinent, simply because the situation (or it's aftermath) wasn't permissive. Then you get all the ingame PM slamming which occurs afterwards, and the repeated sanction threats of both parties whilst both people try and persuade themselves that the course of action that they're currently taking is actually legitimate. That sort of thing really takes the edge of a game.

We all know this occurs everywhere of course, but House Space, and (hate to insert specifics that could be TBF'd over but there you go) Liberty especially suffer for it, most notably the systems of Texas, New York and Pensylvania, due to a large concentration of three decisive elements:

1) New players. Now there's nothing wrong with being a noob, we all were at some point and relatively (after only really being here for 10 months), I still consider myself to be one, by comparison to some of the demigod-pseudo admins that all seemed to turn up here in say, '07 or '11. But newbies are influence by those around them: put them in a healthy RP environment and they'll adapt to it and within about a week you'll have difficulties differentiating them from the pros. But new guys migrate to activity hotspots (don't we all) and when you're starting off in Penny and the only people you see are starfliers tanking Texaskreig, then that's not really an RP incentive for you there.

2) More credits than rules. This usually manifests itself in buying a capital, which will almost certainly be blown up within five minutes (as it should) by whoever hostile comes along if mishandled and used primarily as a boot to kick people with.

3) Self-Administration. That's my little private term for when people claim to have read the rules, and then create their own little interpretation of them which suits their purposes; hence Self-Administration, because you're always invariably right. A sanction report to the ass rarely solves the issue, unless you screen them reporthreatening.

4) Assuming all hostiles are idiots. Seriously guys, if an isolated red contact comes into range of a large taskforce of hurt in any game system, it usually means they want to be there. Don't use words as a mere initiation to guns, guns are always a situational last resort. Imagine if the police just shot every suspected criminal, because they were a suspect? RP madness, especially in the more RP democratic houses.

Any thoughts people?

I also pirate for RP. Usually that RP takes the form of extracting as much money as possible from the trader. Not sure why you cant make money from piracy, seeing as I funded my mollys cruiser solely on my molly pirating.

Remember sometimes shooting is the most appropriate RP. I dont know about your enemies, but if you just shut down and let them kill you, it doesnt sound like you had better RP than them. Although I admit there is a bit of an idiot problem in New York, why not come to Bretonia and see what you think of RP there.

And yes. You gotta screenshot logs to make reports.
One thing I'd like to point out here, and trust me, I understand your frustration at being completely mauled by idiots in big ships, flying under whatever (LNS-, RNC-, whatever), I honestly wish that there was more that could be done to curb some of the idiocy like that.

Unfortunately, official factions have no -real- control over "indie players", and the admin team is generally reactive, not proactive.

Really the only guarantee you have of having an interaction that isn't complete idiocy, is if you come up against an Official faction member during the course of your flying a pirate ship. (And that's not even a 100% guarantee, Official factions aren't perfect, but they're generally held to a much much much much higher standard than indie players who have no oversight at all.)

For example, in the [LN], you won't find anyone who doesn't know what they're doing. We train our members, we teach them to RP if they're new at it, we teach them how to fight properly, and we -try- to teach them not to be jerks.

I love RP, and I think it's one of the best things that Official factions have to offer in comparison to indie groups who just fly with a tag like LNS- or RNC- or anything other than an official tag.

(Don't get me wrong though, I know that some official factions are responsible for some really stupid stuff, and really heavyhanded game-ruining behavior as well, but still.)

Your best bet for decent RP, is to interact with official factions, because they're /required/ to RP, and they usually actually enjoy it.

Indie players can, and often times will, throw out the bare-minimum just so they can blow stuff up, you're lucky if you even get that much in Liberty, I know that, I've played both sides of the 'law' in Liberty.

Anyway I'll stop before I ramble on too much.
(08-14-2013, 06:09 PM)DitaraAlpha Wrote: [ -> ]
Too bad a lot of the house lawful players (now expecting a lot of offended replies to the contrary, sorry about that and I love it when I actually do bump into you people, you're good guys), appear to consider Rp nothing more than an irksome little detail precluding an engagement message and another dead pirate purged from their dominion.

You sound like you've never seriously played as a military/police type character. Which is fine, but you really shouldn't complain about it before you've given it a fair shot by flying around and actually trying to enforce the laws.

You see, 90% of the suspected criminals we run into, particularly in Liberty, will either immediately start running when they see us or drop a line and start shooting. Neither of those situations allows us much of a chance to RP with them, so we're conditioned to expect that and make our RP as terse and by-the-book as possible so we can best do our job in those scenarios. Do I prefer those rare instances when the person I've run into would prefer to RP it out for a while? Sure, and some of those encounters have been the wildest, most hilarious times I've had in Disco. But remember that Military RP is about enforcing the laws, and so don't be surprised when, by default, that's our modus operandi.

Anyways, you seem like you've generally got a good head on your shoulders. Might I suggest looking into joining an official military faction on the side? Typically only after you get a good feel for how the other half does things can you really be in a position to understand why people act the way they do.

Either way, fly safe out there - unless I catch you with contraband, that is. Smile
I must agree with the previous 2 statements,you can find RPing people at the lawful side. In general you have good chance like 10 to 1 to RP with someone longer then the casual 1-2 lines. So you just need more encounters at each 10 you would have one proper RP encounter. Sometimes the situation requires less talking and more action it really depends.
Also the non-RP problem cannot be solved by people or rules. Increasing the time before guns are ready can do that combined with different new type of CDs and small death penalties - people need to be learn to care about their ship and their character life. However all of those are game mechanics.
Simple. Hire ALG.
Why not change that damn message that comes up all the time "Discovery is a role playing server, rules are here, blah blah blah" to something folks will actually concern themselves with.

"Attention New Pilots: Welcome to the Discovery 24/7 Role Playing Server. Tips and information for making credits, buying better ships, and even getting a head start for new characters are located at www.discoverygc.com. New players should also check out the Server's Role-Playing Rules as well (located on the website) before getting too involved in combat or major purchases, as violators can lose credits/ships or even an entire account."

That rewrite is a pretty basic edit but takes advantage of simple psych principles of offering new people a head start. If we make a message that is clearly directed to noobs (to catch their eye), and leads off by promising all sorts of help, then follows with that last bit, we'll see some improvement I'm sure. Especially as far as noobs knowing rules and how to get started goes..
(08-14-2013, 10:20 PM)AceofSpades Wrote: [ -> ]Why not change that damn message that comes up all the time "Discovery is a role playing server, rules are here, blah blah blah" to something folks will actually concern themselves with.

This is a tremendous idea, and one I definitely support.

New players are not likely to come look at the forums and rules unless you actually give them a good incentive to do so. This, combined with a highly visible "Getting Started in Discovery 4.86" guide would be excellent for new players.
Yeah maybe.
We need to be more to the point:
"If you don't follow the rules here, THERE WILL BE PUNISHMENTS".
Pages: 1 2