Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Server Hardware Issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So this is probably a longshot (at best), but I need some help with a recent purchase of mine.

I recently bought a HP Proliant DL-380 Gen 4 server, used from a local store who had them cheap as chips. The problem I am having is that there's something wrong with the SCSI settings on the server. It seems to be set to Simplex mode, and I can't figure out how to change it to Duplex, or even worse get into the SCSI config utility.

When I disconnected the cable that apparently enables Simplex, I get a SCSI error, which when I consult the troubleshooting manual the cable is not connected properly. When I try installing Server 2008 no drives are detected, no matter what slot they are plugged into. (I tried 4 different drives, all recently Dban Disknuked) I just purged all the settings in the bios with a wipe, same goes for "all non-volatile memory" as its called in the bios.

At this point I am pondering whether the Array controller is dead, the backpane is dead, or the config utility is just non-existent. Any suggestions/pointers to somewhere that can help would be appreciated.

And yes, I did turn it off and turn it back on again.
You have to load the drivers manually if you wish to install server 2008. It's not plug and play.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Tec...taskId=135
Drives won't show up in POST, Bios or the onboard RAID controller config (which you edit during boot-up).

At this point I am considering just scrapping the server, getting a new one and using parts as spares.

Edit: Also, Server 2008 (The same copy) worked fine on a DL380 G5 without any driver problems.
Do they physically work (normal HDD working sound, blinking light if any) when you connect them and start the server? I bet on dead array controller.
(08-18-2013, 09:21 PM)Govedo13 Wrote: [ -> ]Do they physically work (normal HDD working sound, blinking light if any) when you connect them and start the server? I bet on dead array controller.

I successfully Dban Disk Nuked all four disks. Plus the odds of 4 Enterprise Hard Drives all failing is infinitesimally small.
Actually the funny thing is that HDDs bought at the same time die around the same time. I had such case where 3 HDDs died in 1 month frame.
If they are not from the same machine/batch then it is not their fault and it is indeed too tiny chance.