Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: A Factory Ship Concept
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Right, this was suggested ages ago and it was rejected then. However, the popularity of POBs makes me think it could work now. Also, in the interest of full disclosure, this would help a lot with an RP plan of mine, but I think it could help many other factions too.

Basically, the idea's a Factory/Refinery module slot for specific ship classes. Prison Liner, Salvager, Hegemon, etc. Large ships that logically could be refitted with the necessary life support expansions and heavy machinery needed. Maybe several distinct factories, for different commodities and items, maybe rely on commands, ID checks (no Vengeance-building factory for Rogues), and material lists to choose what you make. I don't know which would be better/easier to impliment.

Basically it'd work the same as a POB factory, but rather than producing cloaks, jumpdrives, and docking bays, it would make fighter/bomber equipment, ammunition, and commodities.

(Incidentally, I'd love to see a commodity factory added to POBs if/when they return. Gun factories! Medicinal research facilities!)

So you feed the factory a bunch of Ship Hull Panels and metals, and eventually it gets transformed into Heavy Armor 2. . Or a Junker reprocessing plant that takes scrap from an ongoing salvage operation to make more guns, shields, and ammo (somewhat randomly, I would imagine)

Or what about on-the-spot ore and fuel refining? Instead of taking your ore to its very few (but valuable) sell points, you can refine it in your ship (for balance reasons, getting more units of refined metal than raw ore) and export it in your own ship or a convoy. Probably less profitable than selling the raw ore under the current system, but often more logical in-RP and a good way to let people go somewhere else for a change of pace.

I don't believe an extra cargo capacity penalty would be needed for this, because the cargo needed to produce the items is already cutting into your trade capacity. It would have to be set to not run planetside, which could be easily justified in-RP by saying that the equipment and techniques require low- or zero-gravity environments for proper use.

Since the materials needed would usually come from several different places, this would also encourage would-be factory owners to hire freelancers and other traders to deliver things so they don't have ot constantly run all over Sirius for the items they're after, much like the current(ly-disabled) POB system does.

Because a lot of the items would result in using more cargo after production than before (again, for price balance reasons and to make this potentially viable for income), a system akin to the Mining Mod's "fill selected target" would probably also be very useful. I guess you'd just put production on hold when the hold is full.

I'm sure I'm missing something that makes this a terrible idea, but eh. Someone will point it out.

And while I'm thinking of controversial ideas, lemme just throw this out there... Codename production.

Right now, codename guns have no basis in RP. Why not use them to create some? Let these factory modules produce them - don't make it cheap, maybe it needs two full Prison Liner holds for one (if you can't do gradual consumption, then have each load build a component part, then combine the two) That gives weapon dealers that are interested in more RP a chance to properly do it and have it supported by the game mechanics.
I like the idea, specially for codenames. But regarding stuff like the Armor which are already sold on easy to reach NPC bases, what would be the need?

Also, the POB's have the advantage of being there all the time, a factory ship needs to be logged on -- that is a problem specially with delivering supplies and producing stuff that takes a long time to eat commodities. Why a codename factory module for ships is better than a codename factory module for bases, in your oppinion?
(08-18-2013, 07:03 AM)The Doctor Wrote: [ -> ]I like the idea, specially for codenames. But regarding stuff like the Armor which are already sold on easy to reach NPC bases, what would be the need?
It's not needed, but it's something that could logically be made in a factory, and maybe someone could make use of it.

Or it could just be something else they can sell for a profit. An odd item to trade, but hey, I'm not judging. Someone's gotta make the things.

Quote: Why a codename factory module for ships is better than a codename factory module for bases, in your oppinion?
Not universally better, but better for small operations. One reason: less maintenance.

Actually, two reasons - infinitely less drama than POBs.

I imagine a POB factory could produce more of them quicker, but at the cost of constantly needing supplies. In fact, pretty much everything in the suggestion could be "upscaled" for POBs - and should be! But this would give people without the resources or patience a chance to get in on the RP and gameplay aspects without the added stress.
i cant say much more other than I quite like this idea, it sounds like it could be abused by some people to get some cash, but I do like the idea of endorsing roleplay for things, it could make quite a difference of how things are done. I would like to see this implemented in the game.

As for the code names? I'd love to see some lore behind them, heck even people who play researchers and are able to SRP weaponry research and add their information to the weapon info cards about a summary of their research and development of the weapon would be great, there is some possibilities behind them, but it remains untapped.

Balance everything out, and it sounds beautiful.

tldr; +1
Turn the barge into a factory ship. All problems solved
(08-18-2013, 08:03 AM)lIceColon Wrote: [ -> ]Turn the barge into a factory ship. All problems solved

Oh the possibilities. I'd love something like that to be added to the barge. Make it a true mobile base, as that's what it is.
(08-18-2013, 08:06 AM)Moveit56 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2013, 08:03 AM)lIceColon Wrote: [ -> ]Turn the barge into a factory ship. All problems solved

Oh the possibilities. I'd love something like that to be added to the barge. Make it a true mobile base, as that's what it is.

If possible, that'd be a great idea.
http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=81606
A bit deeper brainstorming towards this topic.[Image: emoticon-00142-happy.gif]
(08-18-2013, 07:36 PM)Agmen of Eladesor Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2013, 08:06 AM)Moveit56 Wrote: [ -> ]

If possible, that'd be a great idea.

+1 Would be great to give that to the barge. But then the barge also would have to be sold somewhere openly.
Possible- totally with the Massdriver plugins and economy ideas:
http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=81606
Massdriver is so full of win that if he was the man in charge of the Dev team the sever would be 225/225 permanently, sadly people around the place cannot cope with losing their "precious" ships and cannot accept that
discovery is going backwards just because everything is too easy. The people that lead the show here believe in good skype contacts and written in forum stuff in order to receive good stuff like SRPs for example instead of actually being present in-game.

Feasible- no not really, damn hard to balance, the dev team is understuffed so they cannot make huge changes like overhauling the whole economy.
Here is explained why stuff does not work now and how to fix it:
http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread...pid1389222
Pages: 1 2