Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: An Outcast Trader?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

' Wrote:Getting back to the orignal topic that held together for all of one post (;)), a trader can have any tag, though he must RP accordingly. A trader with an Outcast tag shouldn't smuggle artifacts, nor land on lawful bases. The BLS use Outcast tag/ID for their (our >.>) smugglers, which can only land on unlawful bases.
So in short, it depends on what he's doing whilst having said tag.

In my views, i think that a RP reason for an outcast trader lays within the name itself...Trader...
In my views a trader has his right to have a home planet other than manhatten or pitsburg..a home system other than NY, that the traders are the only thing that keeps the (FL) universe in balance as even the borderworlds have the need of manufactures made by the liberty area and vise-versa. A trader, outcast or liberty one, may and SHOULD trade between the two aliances for the sake of their system future...

If you trade only between lawfuls or only between unlawfuls is like taking one bottle of juice from one quicky mart to the other..then bring a similar one back to the first. A trader that has an unlawful/hostile tag should not carry contraband, should obey the destination system ethic (stop for a scan at the JG/JH if needed) and should NOT be ''neutralized'' on sight only because of his/her tag.
I agree with Sindroms. No one should be neutralized just because of their tag. Some may not even know at that point what their tag registers until its pointed out. Case in point: I was registering as LPI, I knew that, but then wanted to boost my friendliness with the Lane Hackers, when I did that, I'm suddenly registered with ALG waste disposal, only because it was the next highest friend I had.

Like I wanted to be friendly with or even be the poop man. That usually gets crap from everyone.

:D
Ahem. Anyhow, a corsair, later on, tried to neutralize me on that sole basis that I was ALG. If he had scanned me, he would have seen I was a Merc. Which probably didn't mean much, but I had no clue why he was calling me his enemy, until he pointed out the ALG. If Mercs are enemies to Corsairs, really, I didn't know. But then again, he broke off the attack once he realized I was ID'd as a merc. So maybe, they are slightly friendly.

Anyhow, point is: If one relies soley on how one should act toward another based on the "Tag", RARELY, will any RP happen whatsoever. So how do you find out what a person is and what they are doing?

Talk to them. Its that simple. And guess what? You might being RPing. That's usually how RP ends up happening. And, a little chit chat, for those who are willing to take that small amount of time, will find out a lot of information, and THEN can one make a better judgement on how to act towards the other.

If only everyone would adhere. But just my thoughts.
' Wrote:Yesterday I came across an Advanced Train in Sigma 13, it had what I assume to be an Outcast Guard Tag as I am neutral to the Outcasts but not their guard and this ship showed up as hostile. It was using the trade lanes as well, my question is How does this work in RP?
I think they try to use the tag from being pirated certain pirates much like the Zoner tag IFF thing.
The Train series is not a ship an unlawful flies. There's the Pirate Train and the Borderworld Transport for those purposes. Also, unlawful Traders are really more along the lines of Smuggler ID.

I believe this fellow was most likely OoRP.
' Wrote:I think they try to use the tag from being pirated certain pirates much like the Zoner tag IFF thing.

Heh, had an incident with one of those recently.

"You cant shoot me! I'm a Zoner! Check the faction tag, we have no enemies! Stop shooting me or I report you!"

"I can't shoot you? I've been hitting you just fine so far sir."
Quote:The Train series is not a ship an unlawful flies. There's the Pirate Train and the Borderworld Transport for those purposes. Also, unlawful Traders are really more along the lines of Smuggler ID.

Eh, I disagree with this line of thought...

No smart smuggler is going to fly about in a vessel that screams, "HEY, I'M A CRIMINAL COME ARREST ME."

Most of the transport ships (including the Train series) are commercial vessels, they generally aren't restricted in any way, the only obstacle to obtaining one is finding someone who'll sell you one. If you can fork over 110 million for an Advanced Train, there's nothing stopping you regardless of your intent/tag/ID.

Moreover, I really dislike the idea of a Smuggler ID in general. It's wrong that a player can simply scan you and know by default who and what you are, and this is a problem that you find with all ID's. If you want to play a Navy officer who's managed to infiltrate the Lane Hackers, you can't do it without having a Navy ID mounted on your ship (or vice versa). ID's really impede upon RP since you're expected to act based upon which ID is mounted on a given ship, and as a character you're limited in what you can actually do in-game based upon which ID you're using yourself.

Personally I don't really see a problem with the occasional Zoner being an undercover smuggler, it actually strikes me as being the smarter way to do things. Aslong as the player actually makes an effort to blend in with Zoner society and does more than smuggling (IE: trading legally often so as to cover his darker deeds) then sure, go for it. Of course this smuggler should accept the consequences of his actions should he be caught, because it's never within RP to say "OMG I R ZONER U RULEBREKER!" Maybe since so many Zoners abuse their priviledges other factions could begin to look poorly upon the Zoner faction as a whole? Just because a player is essentially "cheating" by using a Zoner tag/IFF, that isn't to say that you can't capitolize off of his mistake by making something entertaining happen.

Personally, I just use a Smuggler ID so as to avoid bratty players from wigging out on me should they happen to catch me smuggling. *Shrug* That isn't to say I like doing it, though. Every lawful ship will always be eager to scan me first just because of the ID I have equipped, and not because they actually have reasonable suspicion of me and such.

The amount of people who scream about rules when attacked is absolutely absurd, honestly; it's a roleplaying atmosphere and so you should treat any given situation as if you were actually the character you're playing. The short version of this post would've basically been, "Hey, deal with in-game problems in-game, instead of ruining potential roleplay opportunities by whining about it in an OOC fashion on the forums."
Word. smugglers should try their absolute best to make the authorities as least suspicious about them. The way things are a smuggler can get blasted in front of manhattan with nothing in his hold just for having that ID equipped.
' Wrote:Eh, I disagree with this line of thought...
No smart smuggler is going to fly about in a vessel that screams, "HEY, I'M A CRIMINAL COME ARREST ME."

Most of the transport ships (including the Train series) are commercial vessels, they generally aren't restricted in any way, the only obstacle to obtaining one is finding someone who'll sell you one. If you can fork over 110 million for an Advanced Train, there's nothing stopping you regardless of your intent/tag/ID.
That depends on his destination. If he's flying from a criminal base to a lawful base, he's not going to fly about with an IFF tag that screams, "HEY, I'M A CRIMINAL COME ARREST ME."

If he's flying from a criminal base to another criminal base, he's not going to fly about with a ship that screams, "HEY, I'M A CORPORATE LAPDOG, COME PIRATE ME."

Either way, this guy was not being a "Smart smuggler".
And I think you Andre need to relax on the whole rule about who should and shoudn't use what type of ships.

I see good reason why Unlawfuls can use any civilian trader ship they please.
Corporate lapdgos fly those things because they are useful in that way. Just
because a pilot flys on of those ships, doesnt mean they are a corporate
lapdog. Your viewpoint on this is too narrow I believe.

As for Outcast traders, I think that is perfectly fine. I can see plenty of RP
that Dons have financed some OC trader ships.
I ran into another OC tagged trader, hwe was in S13 carrying niobium....I was thinking to myself, now why would an OC IFFed/trader IDed ship being going to, you guessed it the ring... And it occured to me he was uing the tag as a sheild much like with the Zoner IFFed tag traders...But then I got lip from a SOB member...So now I'm in a bind, if he were smuggler IDed or at the very least hauling slaves or cardi I would have let him go...What would've been the best thing to do?
Pages: 1 2 3