Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: An indestructible capital ship class, you say?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Sindy, what the blop is wrong with you...?

Wait! Wait! Hear me out, alright?!

Sigh.

Okay, so we all know how awesome capital ships are....
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/orig..._chart.jpg
http://matttoomb.files.wordpress.com/201...-ships.jpg
http://media.desura.com/images/members/1...rt_05A.jpg

Or at least how awesome capital ships SHOULD be.

Let us face it, the capital ships in Discovery has always been a subject of the bigger does not equal better rule and everyone seems fine with that. It only means that nobody will go for them as their ingame goal. Everyone can find their own ship they like to fly, be it a competitive VHF or a trollish LF or perhaps an OP freighter? However, regardless of this freedom, the capital ships have always attracted the crowd, who enjoys much armor, hugs weapons and awesome detail and I must say, the reason I got my first ship (A talarca light cruiser) was because of how funny it looked. During the course of Disco, capital ships were slowly nerfed, further distancing them from the chance to intrude on snubcraft ground, which I am fully okay with, but during that same time the price for a capital ship was buffed sky high. Now, I understand that 500million credits is not really THAT much, but that is the ship itself. While you can do much in a not too well armored fighter if you have the skill for it, capital ship battles have always revolved around who has the best armor. This would encourage only the most wealthy players to take up such a ship, knowing full well that a badly armored cap would never be pvp compatible and to be fair, it was a pretty good way how to somehow limit capital ship use.

But those are not capital ships. Right now because of game mechanics and not just because of turret steering, battleships have become borderline useless well, maybe not that bad, but they do not represent their ingame credit value. The cruisers have become the leading capital ship, allowing them to attack targets from far away, kite larger ships but still have enough armor to take the occasional hit and the damage to solo a battleship. Perhaps not as fast as another battleship would, but still completely possible. Something a gunboat cannot do with a cruiser. Or a bomber with a gunboat.

While I understand the necessity for the most powerful damage-wise shipclass to be somehow restricted and unappealing, is this really what battleships are?

So yes, this is yet another ''Omg batlesheps are weak!'' thread. But hear me out.

What if we had another shipclass. Named the Juggernaut shipclass. Or the Titan, if you would rather have called it that.

Larger than battleships, slower than battleships, with more turrets than battleships....but how would they be different? How would they make a difference in fights, both solo and group ones?

Imagine a ship larger than a dread.
Now remove all of its bots and batteries.
Yes, you heard me. And its armor upgrade.
What?
Yes, its armor upgrade. And give it a regular battleship shield?
Dafuq?
Yes. And now imagine the ship is indestructible.
Youw0t? Exactly. An indestructible cap. The cost of which ranges close to two billion credits. One that has costume made guns for it, able to anahilate targets from 10k away, 5.00 refire missile turrets with 2k range and CD stats and 3000 damage to carnation every bomber that nears it.

So what balances this thing then? Okay, so you know how you first learned that mounting a cheetah thruster on a gunboat and then getting hit by a single nova torpedo set you back 20 million credits in repairs? Same idea applies.

In practice, the only way to defeat such a capital ship would mean ripping off its external equipment. External equipment that would cost 40-70million credits per turret. A ship that cannot be planet-dived or sun-dived because of its lack of destructable-ness. If you want to be flying this one, you will absolutely lose hundreds of millions of credits. And you know what? For a ship that could take on four or so battleships and live, would that be a bad price to pay?

A single player would probably not be able to even support one of these. It would be just like a POB...just a bit more...practical. Want to take it out for a spin during a raid this weekend? Well then better start mining now, boyo, because that thing is expensive as hell to maintain.

Random thought. Might build one on my server by using a modded Disco folder to show off just what I had in mind. Standby for ideas and videos and such.
People will get 1 such thing and share it to reduce money costs.

Also, how to make it invicible? Admin shield?

But, good idea, imo. Even though I wont be able to fly it because I am poor.
(09-09-2013, 07:58 PM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]but during that same time the price for a capital ship was buffed sky high. Now, I understand that 500million credits is not really THAT much, but that is the ship itself.

I have very little interest in capital ships, so won't really address the rest of your post. I'll leave that for cap ship fans who actually know what their talking about. I'll just point out that in 4.85 battleships were around double the price they are now, with it costing around 1 bil to buy one.

Carry on as you were.
The idea seems good to me, but let's face it, it's not really a moneysink idea right now.

Yes, players can sub-target the weapons, thrusters, or shields, to execute the enemy, but npc's don't really seem to do that.

In that way, you have an indestructible flying fortress, and you can do the lvl 43 missions only sitting at one place, since you'll not die. and BOOM, you just need to tractor the items, and your profit by a single high level mission is about 15-20 million.

Never give anything endless healthpoint, or stuff, it will became unbalanced.
Give him 15-20 million hp, since it has no shield, and you have to repair the hull too, for a ridicolously high price.

imo
Yes.

Available for Military factions.
Spazzy, this sounds awesome. Talking about money sinks andgiving groups a means of creating some real effect. Smile

I also agree on the "battleships are not worth their money".
But I have flown too few to suggest what can be improved.
People like to shoot things that explode.

At first I thought your idea to be good, but then I figured that it'd get boring after a short while. Rather let people 'command' stationary NPC stations, shooting stuff with the station turrets, refusing people to dock and deciding what commodities the station buys (with fixed prices). Give the official factions control of one station of their choice. And have them using those like shared ship accounts.
Badbadbad idea.
Especially because it can stay at hostile planet orbit and take no damage. Also, because of missions.
What stops people from trolling your fleet as indestructable gigantic annoying fly just keeps following you around or camps your homeworld/guard system for lulz and giggles? Imagine indestructable fortress-fest in Alaska of several groups combined. Or RNC Titan right over Manhattan 24/7
(09-09-2013, 08:40 PM)Omicron Wrote: [ -> ]What stops people from trolling your fleet as indestructable gigantic annoying fly just keeps following you around or camps your homeworld/guard system for lulz and giggles? Imagine indestructable fortress-fest in Alaska of several groups combined. Or RNC Titan right over Manhattan 24/7

Punish them! Get its shields down and send a novabomber squad to shoot its turrets.
If every turret costs 60 million credits and after the battle they retreat and their ship has around 80% damage done to all of its turrets, which are in total, say 27, that sums up their little fun campy-hour to cost them 324 000 000 credits. Enough to buy a cruiser.

EDIT: That actually reminds me. Remember that in battles, these ships would be prime targets anyway.
Pages: 1 2 3 4