Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Regarding the bomber EMP torpedo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I suggested this last night in a skype and I figured I would throw the idea out here today and see what you guys thought.

Right now the bomber incapacitator EMP torpedo does pretty much no hull damage. This means you can torpedo ram any capital ship with no real consequence or danger to yourself, other than being shot at of course. That way you can deal instant and unavoidable damage to a capital ship's shields while only risking your shield or a tiny bit of hull damage. You can't do this with nova torpedoes for obvious reasons... you explode.

Now of course these are EMP weapons and are not designed to do hull damage. But what if they did about as much hull damage as a nuke mine? Capital ships and transports won't care, they can shrug off mine impacts without noticing them most of the time. Fighters won't care, you probably couldn't hit them with it... and if a fighter got hit with a bomber torpedo he kind of deserves the humiliation anyways...

Anyways what this does is it places the bomber at slight risk, as they cannot afford to take many nuke mine hits. This can stop people from sitting 1m away from a battleship and chain-firing EMP torpedoes into it without caring, because now suddenly there is a risk of taking hull damage for the bomber which can stack up pretty fast but won't really affect the capital ship.

And if you do not think this is an issue, put two EMP torpedoes on a bomber and ram it into capital ships and see how effective it is when you do not have to worry about damaging yourself.
AFAIK, pulse weapons can't damage playership's hull.
I believe this is a good observation. I'd advise even making it as powerful as TWO Nuke mines. And a slightly larger explosion radius than the Nova.
hmm will be funn against snubs then. just fire em when they are comming your direction and you have insta kill.
Except for the fact that bomber torpedoes aren't know for their excellent homing abilities against snubs.
(09-23-2013, 09:07 PM)kikatsu Wrote: [ -> ]I suggested this last night in a skype and I figured I would throw the idea out here today and see what you guys thought.

Right now the bomber incapacitator EMP torpedo does pretty much no hull damage. This means you can torpedo ram any capital ship with no real consequence or danger to yourself, other than being shot at of course. That way you can deal instant and unavoidable damage to a capital ship's shields while only risking your shield or a tiny bit of hull damage. You can't do this with nova torpedoes for obvious reasons... you explode.

Now of course these are EMP weapons and are not designed to do hull damage. But what if they did about as much hull damage as a nuke mine? Capital ships and transports won't care, they can shrug off mine impacts without noticing them most of the time. Fighters won't care, you probably couldn't hit them with it... and if a fighter got hit with a bomber torpedo he kind of deserves the humiliation anyways...

Anyways what this does is it places the bomber at slight risk, as they cannot afford to take many nuke mine hits. This can stop people from sitting 1m away from a battleship and chain-firing EMP torpedoes into it without caring, because now suddenly there is a risk of taking hull damage for the bomber which can stack up pretty fast but won't really affect the capital ship.

And if you do not think this is an issue, put two EMP torpedoes on a bomber and ram it into capital ships and see how effective it is when you do not have to worry about damaging yourself.

This is definitely a great idea, and I think setting the damage equal to a nuke mine will be a perfect balance between risk and benefits. Don't want it any higher than that, though, or people would just ram into it to blow up the bomber himself. So, yeah, set it somewhere between 8000 and 16000, that would be great.
I don't see this as too big a problem. A bomber doing a kamikaze pulse torpedo run on a capital ship risks being shieldless while well in range of a cap's point defenses. A good cap pilot can rough one up quite quickly, especially with flaks. Add to that that having an EMP torpedo means you're either a heavy bomber with an additional hullbuster, butbigger and therefor more vulnerable to being shot, or a medium bomber without hullbuster -or- without CD...
In a fleet fight a battleship won't be focusing on bombers. And all my military bombers always equip a SNAC and usually another torpedo weapon for maximum damage, I have no need for CDs unless I am pirating.