Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Reward System for Updating the Wiki
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In game credits to be paid to users that update an old Wiki page with the new and relevant data.

In game credits to be paid for ship reviews.

In game credits to be paid for creating new pages on the Wiki (for new ships etc).

This would get the Wiki updated a lot faster, then we won't have to use a Wiki that hasn't been updated properly since .85
where is my 1 billion?!
Are you proposing this as an official policy - as in, paid and run by the administration team (which won't happen - they haven't got anything to do with the Wiki and have enough to do already) - or a community effort, where somebody somewhere with a lot of credits to spare gives them out based on people's efforts?

The thing is, as the most active editor and sysop on the Wiki as of right now, I do not know of a single regular contributor that would be willing, available or experienced enough to run a system like this on a regular basis, and even if there was one a system like this would simply take time away from his or her efforts to update the Wiki due to the time spent looking over and verifying other people's edits and handing out credits. I know this from experience, as I personally double-check almost every edit that is done on the Wiki to ensure that what's added or modified is valid, makes sense, and that it complies with our standards.

Let's just say that this takes away quite a lot of time which I could have spent contributing instead.

Or, in other words; I have my doubts that a system like this would work. There isn't anybody around to run it, and even then I'm sceptical that receiving a bit of credits as a reward for editing would help much. It's a lot of work. In the end, a system like this would probably just add a lot more work for whoever ends up running it in exchange for a few edits here and there.

-

PS: Saying that the "Wiki hasn't been updated properly since .85" is simply untrue.

The last major update was a complete update of all equipment, ship, commodity and a few other categories worth of pages in November and December last year thanks to the efforts of Ursus to create a new content generator, and it's been regularily updated and worked on both after and before that happened.

One of the reasons why nothing much has happened on the Wiki after the release of the v4.87 beta is, well, that it's a beta release. We're expecting major content changes and additions with the later updates, so starting any major update work now would mean having to do everything again each time a new version comes, so I've been recommending against it for now.

PPS: Why is this thread in the "Discovery Mod General Discussion" subforum?
Considering how Space is the mainly the one doing work on the wiki if anyone, I'd suggest we simply reward him with compliments. You're the best, space. (hug)
(09-27-2013, 11:12 PM)Error Wrote: [ -> ]...

I kicked this out of our subforum and into yours.
(09-27-2013, 11:12 PM)Error Wrote: [ -> ]Are you proposing this as an official policy - as in, paid and run by the administration team (which won't happen - they haven't got anything to do with the Wiki and have enough to do already) - or a community effort, where somebody somewhere with a lot of credits to spare gives them out based on people's efforts?

The thing is, as the most active editor and sysop on the Wiki as of right now, I do not know of a single regular contributor that would be willing, available or experienced enough to run a system like this on a regular basis, and even if there was one a system like this would simply take time away from his or her efforts to update the Wiki due to the time spent looking over and verifying other people's edits and handing out credits. I know this from experience, as I personally double-check almost every edit that is done on the Wiki to ensure that what's added or modified is valid, makes sense, and that it complies with our standards.

Let's just say that this takes away quite a lot of time which I could have spent contributing instead.

Or, in other words; I have my doubts that a system like this would work. There isn't anybody around to run it, and even then I'm sceptical that receiving a bit of credits as a reward for editing would help much. It's a lot of work. In the end, a system like this would probably just add a lot more work for whoever ends up running it in exchange for a few edits here and there.

-

PS: Saying that the "Wiki hasn't been updated properly since .85" is simply untrue.

The last major update was a complete update of all equipment, ship, commodity and a few other categories worth of pages in November and December last year thanks to the efforts of Ursus to create a new content generator, and it's been regularily updated and worked on both after and before that happened.

One of the reasons why nothing much has happened on the Wiki after the release of the v4.87 beta is, well, that it's a beta release. We're expecting major content changes and additions with the later updates, so starting any major update work now would mean having to do everything again each time a new version comes, so I've been recommending against it for now.

pay the people who are checking the facts too, present a bill to a friendly admin and say 'please drop eleventy mibilillillillion on my character so i can hand it out for the work people have done. It's like being a manager really.