Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: New Ship Class + Renamed Ship Class
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know this has been discussed before, but I would really like to bring up a way of doing this.

A lot of us want to see actual "gunships", which would be one-man ships, similar to gunboats except without turret steering, making them kind of like fighters.

The problem with this is "if we call those gunships, and these gunboats, people might get confused".

I have a solution: Rename the current gunboats to frigates. Their roles are very similar to frigates anyway, piloted by multiple persons, but still smaller and faster than most ships with their role generally being defensive or to intercept.

Then you can introduce the new class of ships called Gunships. These would be the size and speed of SHF's, and would have transport turrets that only fire forwards (not gunboat turrets, because pulse+razor combos on a ship this small and fast would be vastly overpowered). They would have less firepower than the compared SHF's which have more guns and bomber torpedo slots, but they would have the increased accuracy of the transport turrets. I would suggest them having a varying amount between 4 and 6 transport turrets on the front of the gunships, which fire only forwards, like guns.
I actually like the idea if we'd rename the Heavy Gunboats to Corvettes imho.
Sounds like a good idea. Especially if they are called Corvettes no confusion then btw Gunships and Gunboats.
So...super heavy fighters, basically? You know, SNAC bait?
Sounds like a light transport to me, or a heavy freighter perhaps. Same with the "heavy LFs/light HFs" thread from today, if you start creating too many ship classes then the lines between them become a bit blurred.

I'd actually go with Snake here that corvette would be a better term. Frigate would probably be really light cruisers (Hatchet etc.), then as with current RL it can be hard to classify the rest as either cruisers or destroyers.
(10-11-2013, 03:27 PM)SummerMcLovin Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like a light transport to me, or a heavy freighter perhaps. Same with the "heavy LFs/light HFs" thread from today, if you start creating too many ship classes then the lines between them become a bit blurred.

I'd actually go with Snake here that corvette would be a better term. Frigate would probably be really light cruisers (Hatchet etc.), then as with current RL it can be hard to classify the rest as either cruisers or destroyers.

With the recent changes to gunboats, they actually are basically very light cruisers.