Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Reputation and commodities
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(Xoria is probably going to throttle me for this suggestion)

TL.DR

Part one:
traders' supplying a base with goods receive reputation boost with faction that owns base

Part two:
traders with strong reputation get preferential prices
traders with neutral get base price
traders with slightly hostile get crappy price
can be selected for only chosen factions to boost activity

Explanation:
at the moment, reputation isnt fixed by activity, only pew. it seems oorp to have a trader that is almost hostile receiving the same price as one that is fully green with the guard rep. the suggestion is that trading offers the same rep boost as doing missions. the benefit is that people can rep-fix by trading, which means targets for pirates.

The advantage for the trader is that when he becomes more aligned with that faction, he receives the full price of the commodity. my suggested numbers for sell prices are -5% for having a rep of -0.5, receiving full price for neutral, and receiving +10% for being +10 rep. buy prices could remain unchanged - as there are commodities that cost only 1€ to buy.

This feature can be switched on for certain factions. i.e. the under-used ones, like planetform, OSC, Farmer's Alliance, Hogosha, etc etc.

suggest that it is always switched on for factions like the angels, and perhaps for underlevel players - although this might require careful balancing to stop people like me transfering cash out to enjoy the bonus.

The only issue that i can see is that the percentage would create fractional sell prices, and so rounding up/down might cause problems.
I do not believe the Freelancer game engines supports more than one price for any given item at a base (apart from the differences between "new" and "used" equipment).

I can't comment on possibilities involving FLHook.
Bump for FLHook maestros
Reputation can be factored into the procedure with normal ini coding in a similar way to docking/non-docking, However it is a blacl/white buy or sell choice not multiple prices.

Without FL hook the only way would be to have commodities that were identical except in price (passengers for example already exist like this) and reputation but actually different in coding (passengers for example already exist like this) so the buyer had a choice from a list.
Quite easy apart from the time.
(10-17-2013, 07:20 AM)Tunicle Wrote: [ -> ]Quite easy apart from the time.
I hope you were smiling when you typed that.

I have considered setting a reputation requirement for "people" commodities along the lines Tunicle described, but have not felt there was enough of an advantage in the strategy to make it worthwhile. I don't think there is much benefit to making other commodities work that way or configuring FLHook to do it. This just isn't the game we've got here. Trading functions well enough without making it more complicated. I do like the rep boost for trading, but that would be tricky to devise for so many factions, bases, and commodities.
(10-17-2013, 06:16 PM)Xoria Wrote: [ -> ]I do like the rep boost for trading, but that would be tricky to devise for so many factions, bases, and commodities.

could the rep boost be linked to the increase in value? i.e. each base is owned by a faction, so if the script looks up the base's faction number, then when the player sells anything on that base, the script would check for the base identity and then apply that to the rep sheet. So, increasing corsair rep would decrease oc and bunter by an equal amount, but would also increase hogosha by the rep-fixed percentage.

Essentially, this is a copy of the power-plant nerf, but applied to commodity/rep.

I've just thought, equipt and commodities sold on that base should be excluded from the rep increase - or else buying/selling nanobots would be a way to hack your rep.

Script functions:
  • base faction identity lookup
  • player reputation lookup (i.e. if already at ten, terminate script)
  • commodity not sold on base lookup (if yes, terminate script)
  • apply rep adjustment as product of number of units sold (not price)

this script can be trialled on a few cargos to see if it works before attempting all commodities, and can be switched on and off at whim,

Rewarding players just for fully green rep is simple though - give increased prices in guard systems, and deny docking unless fully green - the base wont be hostile, but you won't be part of the inner circle of merchants. Much like how the round table operates.