Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: A Pimp My Ship Expansion Suggestion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, according to Sindroms, the Civilian Shuttle given on restarts has different engines for different factions. I like this.

In fact, engine swaps were suggested a few times in the past. Shot down each time, something about ship classes I believe. Understandable.

But now every ship class has a distinct number. Every class displays seperately because the data files now store it seperately. I would hope that means you can set a command to check that and only allow you to use engines from a matching class, though Freelancer being what it is I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong.

This would allow, for example, Daumann Eagles to have Rheinlandic engines. Or a Junker ship could use any random engine because he pulled it out of a scrap field. Not suggesting limiting it, just throwing out some RP reasoning behind some obvious configurations.

And, compared to the lights, this is a far more visible customization, both to the user and to nearby players - especially on caps.

Right, hopefully this is received better than some of my other recent ideas.
This is still not possible. Sadly.
(10-15-2013, 09:00 PM)aerelm Wrote: [ -> ]This is still not possible. Sadly.

Would be interesting to know the reason.
You must be know that some servers actually offer such service as engine swapping. Furthermore, swapping affects ship's behavior and stats.
You pretty much answered your own question - Different engines result in different agility stats, because a portion of ship acceleration stats is defined in the engine, rather than the ship specs. Doing a proper engine change plugin would first require every single engine in the game to be standardized based on their class, acceleration stats of each ship reevaluated based on the engine, and every ship agility updated according to the new accelerations.

Doing that only for snubs would be far simpler, as their engines are already more or less standardized. The issue starts with gunboats and above, where the stats defined in the engine takes a more active role in defining the ship agility and acceleration, and also a lot of caps and transports share the same engine regardless of their class. It's a massive load of work, and considering the current to-do list we have to go through, I doubt it'd be happening anytime soon, and even then, if an engine change feature is actually implemented sometime in future, it'd most likely be exclusive to snubcrafts at first.

So yea, by "still not possible" I didn't mean it technically cannot be done. I meant ship and engine stats are still not ready for an engine change plugin, as a plugin like that would require a complete rework of every single ship and engine in the game.
Well can we at least request that engine swapping for snubs be added to the list of features that should be implemented but isn't exactly a priority? It definitely does give RP advantages.