Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Could this be done in Disco
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Quote:Hiya m8s,

it has been more than 1 1/2 years now since the Crossfire 1.7 has been released. Surprisingly this mod still belongs to the most favorite Freelancer mods with a very large fan community. Since the release of Crossfire 1.7 I have spent very much time developing new concepts and finding out how the Freelancer engine can be "manipulated" to create new stuff. The results are pretty interesting.

Since its first release Crossfire was known to be one of the most complex mods available introducing many new features to the Freelancer community. It was designed to show what possibilities and features are still possible in Freelancer and to push the game to a higher quality.
Crossfire has very advanced graphic & sound settings which will make the gameplay much more interesting. The gameplay is very balanc ed and challenging.
You will able to explore hundreds of systems with more than 400 new dockable stations and planets. Clans are able to buy their own clansystems and manage those like they want.
There are high profitable traderoutes which change due a dynamic economy. Also the world of Crossfire is changing alot since the mod is build to create random events such as invading Nomads and Dom\'kavash or solar interferences which disturb the travel in some systems. Crossfire is an expanding world that is always in development. To a limited amount the player has real influence on the Crossfire Universe. New systems appear and can get explored. New ships are build. New equipment is going to be developed by the companies in Sirius. Everything is changing to guarantee a long time of pleasure and action.
The Crossfire mod comes along with very special features which enhance the gameplay and make this mod very special.

Now I was playing Crossfire before I discovered Disco, and found Disco to be more attractive than Crossfire and players community is superior to any other...
Because i was member of Crossfire players community i receive newsletters of any new incoming change in Crossfire universe.

Now, what am I interested about is two things : First and most important is Dynamic economy, can this be coded in Disco? It would be rally nice to have variable prices throughout Sirius.... Second thing that caught my eye are solar interferences which disturb the travel in some systems.... That would be really great if it could be coded into Disco.... It would add to realism and "nonlinear" behavior of the game, which adds to fun!

Disco is best mod around, so NO i wont install Crossfire, but implementing ideas like that in Disco would improved game and mod I love... So admins and modders, could this be done?

EDIT: Posted in wrong topic , sorry
Dynamic economy can be done. I'm not an expert by any measure of the imagination but from what i hear it's quite easy too. It would, however, involve the mod working off a daily updater.
I think dynamic econamy has been a little put down by disco...But it might be a nice feature to have, or a really annoying one. Lag was an issue in this area as well.

Igiss likes to keep the originality of the game, and keep it playable for other mods, and up until now...Single player. Importing stuff from other mods isn't a cool thing to do I don't think. Similar features might be cool.

:cool:
importing with approval is fine.

PM Igiss about it maybe?
' Wrote:Dynamic economy can be done. I'm not an expert by any measure of the imagination but from what i hear it's quite easy too. It would, however, involve the mod working off a daily updater.
Well, random economy is an easy thing to accomplish. A simple script to access the correct files and you can keep changing prices of things at each restart. The real problem is creating a meaningful economy. Say, Rheinland has been importing A LOT of Diamonds to Kusari. So the price for that commodity is bound to change. I don't know of a way to keep track of what is going on in game economically so you can achieve a meaningful automatic dynamic economy. What could be done is a program so people (admins/mods) could alter these prices more easily. Something graphical rather than text editing. But still, that's just crazy.
I believe w0dk4 made a fully working dynamic economy. It's being used in a lot of mods actually, not sure about the details but i think it has some form of logical economy instead of just random. Although, i'm just going off what i've picked up browsing various forums, it's probably wrong.
' Wrote:I believe w0dk4 made a fully working dynamic economy. It's being used in a lot of mods actually, not sure about the details but i think it has some form of logical economy instead of just random. Although, i'm just going off what i've picked up browsing various forums, it's probably wrong.
But does it have anything to do with actual in game events? What I mean by random is a dynamic that doesn't have anything to do with what's happening inside the game, even if it has a logic of it own. Of course, it having some logic is way better than a fully random economy.
Its enough of a pain restructuring the entire of Disco's trading system in the first place, which is what we're doing. While a dynamic economy wuold be nice, i really have no idea how feasible it is with Disco.
well honestly i dont see why it needs to be feasibly with ingame events, if its logical it means that prices will stay the same everywhere until that certain route gets over used, thus reducing prices over a set period of time, i reckon this would be a great addition to the community both in rp and out of rp, alot more places will be used throughout sirius, more routes will be taken and more systems that where once unpopulated will become populated.

i dont think we should think to hard into this one not about stories not about how feasible and useful it will be for us, i honestly think if this is added in it will prevent another Tau 31 run or a Diamond -> niobium run being created ever again, i know once the Diamond run is taken away there will be yet another best route that will be discovered infact i know the one thatwill be spammed next, and it will carry on every mod once you take one route out another will be constantly used.

honestly this is just my personal opinion but a dynamic economy i find will be nessecary when it comes to stoping these spammed routes from happening again, heres what i think

pros: More populated system, more traders spreadout instead of in the one place, more pirating and lawful faction and even corporations may be used due to more populated areas and increasing intrest with population, more RP worthy thing

cons: little bit of effort adding the script, not to entwined with the current trade routes and rp'd trade routes (but then again that doesnt count) since none of these routes are entwined with current RP ingame since theres only 1 route thats being used en-mass. and honestly i dont think kyushu has a demand for the rp'd diamonds anyway since they now have diamond encrusted building, and new berlin has enough niobium to strap a engine to the planet and turn it into theyre very own death star

EDIT: oh yes itl make trading harder also, and actually give alot of these power traders work to do to get theyre big uber ship

ANOTHER EDIT: oh yes and i would like to bold out this, i dont just mean when i say "one route being used en-mass" as being the diamond -> niobium route only, what i am meaning by this is even when that route is taken away there will be other routes or another one route that has the highest or even the quickest payload that will be used CONSTANTLY, once one goes there will always be another that has the best payment or easiest payment that will be used constantly, the only way to fix such thing would be to just make all routes weild the same payment which imo is a silly idea since smuggling should ALWAYS have more benefits than trading, and it aint exactly RP and real like if all things where to be sold for same prices in every route.
Dynamic economies I have played in the past have been boring as hell.
Pages: 1 2 3