Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Make Docking Rings Allow dock for all
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
[update] poll added for people with nothing to offer aside from
(10-29-2013, 07:59 PM)Tankman Wrote: [ -> ]Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope...
replies similar to this will be reported for trolling.

i understand how a station can control what ships can land on it because it is so small and it has people/AI stationed 24/7 managing the traffic that comes to and from its docking facilities

However, a planet is an entire planet, you can't control what goes in and out of it.

I mean you probably can it being the future n' all, but then that would be no fun. I should be able to rush past the barricade if I am good enough. relying solely on the rep system is totally oorp.

So I propose- either make docking rings neutral, or make them like jumpgates, that will shoot at you but allow you to dock (probably involuntarily).

but of course there should still be security, probably some very powerful short range guns guarding the gate that makes hostile-docking with the ring difficult, makes leaving it harder. and planet-owning factions that can't afford such defenses will have to just accept the fact that people they don't like are going to successfully land on their planet every now and then.

so how does this affect rp?

it means that a determined bounty hunter may land on malta in pursuit of a high-paying hit list (and in the process pissing off the casts and gainin negative reputation with all of outcast's friends, but hey credits $_$)

it means that a trader may attempt trade with a faction, despite being completely hostile with the local lawfuls, will assume the identity of a smuggler/rogue trader and land on the planet anyhow

It means that a badly damaged bretonian fighter pilot will be able to take temporary refuge in a gallic planet after a brave runnning-away from battle, and charm a local into fixing his fighter, perhaps even converting/defecting.
no no no

What you say is that F.Eks a Lane hacker can fly to lets say NY and dock on NY A highly hostile planet.
Or a Corsair can dance into Alpha and land on Malta
and pollute the Orange field.

Allowing such thing would be totally OORP.
I skimmed your post, so i might not know exactly what you wrote, but.

According to lore (As far as i know) Un-assisted landings on planets are only possible for a small number of ships, because of the docking ring that assist you and, again as far as i know, removes the friction caused by going through the atmosphere.
Trading would have to be completely re-balanced as well.

Nah.
(10-29-2013, 06:04 PM)roadrunner Wrote: [ -> ]What you say is that F.Eks a Lane hacker can fly to lets say NY and dock on NY
(10-29-2013, 05:59 PM)lIceColon Wrote: [ -> ]but of course there should still be security, probably some very powerful short range guns guarding the gate that makes hostile-docking with the ring difficult, makes leaving it harder.
the kind of fast, short range guns (beam weapons? those things arents supposed to miss) that insta almost anything going near the docking ring- maybe even cloak-detecting since its so short range. so this point has been addressed. and if the sair really wants to dock with malta, then it would be difficult, but possible- and if he puts in the effort, then why not?
(10-29-2013, 06:16 PM)MiniStryke Wrote: [ -> ]Trading would have to be completely re-balanced as well.
the docking ring defenses should be the kind that- anything short of a freighter shouldnt be able to penetrate it. you know, the kind of fast, short range guns that insta almost anything going near the docking ring, including cap8 battletransports

(10-29-2013, 06:04 PM)Wicked Dane Wrote: [ -> ]According to lore (As far as i know) Un-assisted landings on planets are only possible for a small number of ships, because of the docking ring that assist you and, again as far as i know, removes the friction caused by going through the atmosphere.

you misunderstand- i just mean making docking rings work the same way as jump gates- they are still hostile to you, still assist you in their function, except that it would just be somewhat possible for everyone to use them assuming they dont get blown to pieces by the defense turrets
(10-29-2013, 06:16 PM)MiniStryke Wrote: [ -> ]Trading would have to be completely re-balanced as well.

Nah.

It needs an overhaul anyways.

Don't like this idea though. Seems like a lot of extra work for little extra gain.
Enemies using your own planet to stage attacks against you/ressuply/run to.

No.
Imagination?

Yes.
BUT dockable only for freighters and transports.
(10-29-2013, 06:48 PM)Murcielago Wrote: [ -> ]Imagination?

Yes.
BUT dockable only for freighters and transports.

Thats why you pay smugglers to export your goods

So noo need for this.

Another Battlefield kids`s wanna shoot all`s idea
Ok no..sorry...but no.
If you land a Outcast ship on say....Manhattan, they would surly know of you and go blast the ---- out of you on the planet instead of in space.
Pages: 1 2 3 4