Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Trade idea: Transports can't dock(sell) on planets.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So, I had a brilliant idea.

Transports are too big and clumsy for landing on spaceports. Why would you do such a thing, flying that massive train between skyscrapers? That's silly.

Now transports can't dock on a planet. What do you do? You bring along/hire a freighter to offload for you!

That's right, teamwork baby. Helps keeps things moving.

So make trading harder, right? Screw those guys and their 5kers.

Yes, but no. Give a massive bonus to the profit of those items on planets. Maybe 50-100% for all of the already high-priced commodities, and maybe even up to 300% for generic commodities (food, water, etc). The numbers are just an example, don't get mad now.

What does this do though?

Freighters now have a reason to exist, and while transports can still dock on a station somewhere nearby for profit, the real cash is on planets. It encourages convoys, teamwork, and gives freighters something to do if they just happen to be nearby.

In theory, anyway.

Comments, sup?
So assuming your idea went through, would this mean... Removing mooring docks?
Probably more labor intensively, removing the ability to sell.

I have no idea what that entails though, either making it some code for ships, for the mooring fixture itself, or making them just unable to sell based on cargo.

Or making Transports unable to dock but ships like Capitals still able to. Not something I know much about personally.
This could be interesting...hmmm...
It could make things more fun, you would get more people in a group since you need more people to really trade. It would even make pirating better since there would be more traders, and in turn police would have more to do.
But yeah....not sure how it would work. But I think it's a pretty good idea Wink
This could be dangerous because there is a likelihood it would kill alot of independents trading who enjoy the ease and simplicity of trading and anything that changes it will make them leave for another server/mod who allows the ease of trade.

What this means simply is that it has the possbility of Backfiring. Epicly.
A workaround for that, then, Tabris.

Almost every planet has a base in orbit, some have several. Copy the current prices to said base. They can still get the "normal" value taking commodities to those bases, or they can work with a freighter or three to get more money from a direct planetary delivery.
If this idea was implemented it would make transports next to useless. I understand your reasoning but the simple matter is this would just cause less trading. Most traders out there fly solo most of the time and having to use a freighter would make profits tiny. Then less people would trade and without the traders the pirates suffer and without the pirates lawfuls have nothing to do.

Playing in groups is all fine and well but there is not always enough people online to make this idea practical.

Also, Not all transports are giants like trains my Firefly has no problem dodging skyscrapers to land.at a spaceport it just cant fit in that tiny docking ring.
It would not make trading useless.
You could still sell at a base, you would just get MORE for selling on a planet.
(11-01-2013, 06:01 AM)Galactica Wrote: [ -> ]If this idea was implemented it would make transports next to useless.

I specifically said Planets though.

Not Stations.

There's plenty of places near dropoffs that take commodities for nearly the same price.

Quote: there is a likelihood it would kill alot of independents trading who enjoy the ease and simplicity of trading

You can still dock on stations and sell for nearly the same price anyway. Yeah there's some commods that don't have that, but for the most part, yes.

Quote:another server/mod
Are there actually any other active mods out there?
(11-01-2013, 05:51 AM)Tabris Wrote: [ -> ]This could be dangerous because there is a likelihood it would kill alot of independents trading who enjoy the ease and simplicity of trading and anything that changes it will make them leave for another server/mod who allows the ease of trade.

What this means simply is that it has the possbility of Backfiring. Epicly.

I agree comrade .
I say no >.>
Pages: 1 2 3