Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: An Essay on Buffer Systems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Before you dwell inside the cantankerous and overtly detailed verbal machinations and contrivances I have manifested and exuded forth inside this most exquisite opening post I have erected, I shall ask you to mind the possibly improper post thread I contrived.

Returning back to the metaphorical horses I claim to possess, I would like to express my thoughts, opinions and perhaps dissect, digest and perhaps eventually even masticate and disembowel ( not in that exact order ) anything I can think off about buffer systems ( like Omicron-90, Omicron-81, etc ) , an ordeal I assume it was made already countless of times but I personally cannot afford to dedicate any interest into that fact, so you will unfortunately have to bear with my mewling.

First of all, I would like to consider what purposes could these said buffer systems possibly accomplish?

Experience and certain conversations both on skype, ingame and on forums led me to believe that a possible purpose of buffer systems would be to reduce the amount of inconveniences caused by excessive amount of PvP swarms and raids in different ( home ) systems.

Thinking through this, I can't help but notice that this is the double edged blade, though I must point out that the outer edge is sharper.

The inner blade consists of the fact that it apparently reduces activity, for both factions, as they are discouraged by the fact that in order to PvP or RP, or have any kind of encounters, they have to travel more time to meet their enemies. Taking this into consideration, factions' activity either is hampered, or they simply find other sources leaving the previous locations now barren.

The outer blade however represents the fact that people are now free of any inconveniences caused by this. They won't log with the idea of having a casual RP, only to see their dreams ruined by a abhorrent, magnanimous fleet which obviously has little ideas, discouraging the player from logging next time.

It also, ( and I dare make a reference to the inner blade ) allows activity the opportunity to be erected in other systems that may have been previously barren, at the expense of system/s now in correlation with the buffers. If used properly, this thing can provide quite a nice diversity.

However, I would like to bring into discussion something: The activity in discovery seems to be found on a hill, slowly and steadily sliding down. I am not sure if this is temporary or not, or merely courtesy to autumn and job/school season or not, but this led me to think it may be quite a problematic thing this time, and not just temporary, also coupled with the rollback and beta period that again, discouraged people.

My inquiry is... since activity seems to not be at the same level as before, is it really a feasible idea to decentralize activity and spread it out using buffer systems considering that the chances for annoying raids into home system are lower now?

Sure, one would have to take into consideration the fact that a possible removal of said buffer systems would bring back the once departed players to disco, leading to the revival of said raids. But isn't that what we want? To bring people and have activity? Although, this would lead to other people leaving again as they wouldn't be able to stand said raids.

Another opinion would be that buffer systems are a method of adding diversity and perhaps difficulty to trade routes.

I am excogitating the benefits that could come from this possible option now... Making routes longer implies a bigger chance of having RP encounters ( apparently ) however, more systems also imply that the player activity is more spread out and decentralized which may not always work in the favour of the former idea ( of getting a bigger chance of having RP encounters )

As a trader who trader for the sole reason for RPing ( trying my best to stop at every sign of RP encounter ) I can say longer trade routes would be quite fun if I am assured of the fact that I am bound to find encounters on my way.

However, there are also players who trade in order to make money, that said money is made so that said players can afford a ship for the type of character they want to represent as well as possibly using the cash to fund inRP encounters, SRP and faction officialdom applications.

One would think longer trade routes would be a major impediment here. But I honestly believe that such an impediment would be easily disfigured if the profits would be directly proportional to the distance, time and any other possibly variables.

At the end of the day, I consider buffer systems to be quite neutral. They are both convenient and inconvenient, it all depends on the type of eyes affected by them as well as the perspective. For some, it would save them from annoying raids, for others, it would deprive them from the fun raids and activity they had, leading to possible death or malnutrition of certain factions.

It allows some systems to be sprawling with activity, but only at the cost of sacrificing other systems.

I personally think that whatever the condition of Buffer Systems, one side will always suffer from it and be discouraged from it.

Now, what would it be if we won't have buffer systems, I dare inquire?

First of all, we will have fewer systems, making activity more compact and centralized. People would take less time to find their ever desired encounters, RP and PVP, it would allow factions to form awesome, big, gigantic fights and fun ( Outcast - Corsair fights for example ) but at the same time, it would make the people who desire RP more susceptible to annoying encounters and lolwuts.

Trading will also be in appearance, more profitable. ( I dare emphasize on "in appearance ) And permit me to illustrate this argument with an example.

Allow me to select two points, " A " and " B " , between them there is a distance of 2 hours and the player can have a profit of 100 millions.

We also have points " C " and " D " , between them being a distance of 1 hour and the player can have a profit of 50 millions.

You would say that route " AB " is more convenient but in my opinion, that is quite relative. Money isn't made on disco for the sole reason of simply having it ( as far as I know ) , but it is made for a purpose, most often to buy a ship or a codename. Let's say that I want a ship, and that said ship is 50 millions only. It is understandable that I would be more encouraged to go with the shorter route that, despite not being as profitable, it still gives me the required money and won't force me to make an exchange between real-life and disco as considerable and substantial as route " CD "

We also balance disco time with real life time, it is understandable we want to use our available disco time for fun, no? Well, I, personally, recognize the existence of people here that don't view trading as fun and it's quite understandable, I dare say.

It is also understandable that they would be discouraged from playing disco if they know that they will have to waste more on " working " on disco than actually playing.

Those were my thoughts and opinions I wanted to share. Why did I made this thread for the sole reason of wasting your time with reading something like this? I don't know, perhaps I am drunk, perhaps I am bored, perhaps I am utterly happy and I want to vent off that happiness ( huehue ) or perhaps I simply have an opinion which I wanted to express, a catalyst of thoughts, discussions I heard during my time regarding this subject and I wanted to sum up my opinion, both pro and contra.

Most probably I am drunk though... metaphorically speaking... Like... in the state of not giving any flook for the consequences anything I would make would attract, of course

Or maybe... I want to make a thread that will occupy space on this exquisite forums.

Enjoy

PS: I should liek sleep now
[2:05:04] Yuri (Treewyrm): the TL;DR version that should have been instead of that wall of textual mastrubation ed posted on forums: buffer systems that make it difficult for interactions between factions are bad and trading routes are no excuse for that, cause it's trading routes that should be adjusted to systems, not the other way
[2:05:35] Ed: Would appreciate if you post that xd

done
(11-03-2013, 11:09 PM)Treewyrm Wrote: [ -> ][2:05:04] Yuri (Treewyrm): the TL;DR version that should have been instead of that wall of textual mastrubation ed posted on forums: buffer systems that make it difficult for interactions between factions are bad and trading routes are no excuse for that, cause it's trading routes that should be adjusted to systems, not the other way

done

I just can't tell you enough how glad I am for this summary.

Afaik buffer systems exist so we won't have pews in home systems, can't think of other uses, but then I got no problem with systems for this purpose. That said, I think one or two (but strictly parallel) buffer systems per warzone should be enough.
Buffer systems are non issue... as long they're out of the place and not neccesary to visit in order to find player interaction. Omicron 81 was fine as Outcast's back alley (4.86, 4.85, possibly earlier) but is terrible as buffer zone (4.87) by discouraging raids and increasing distances between potential interactions. My 5 cents.
(11-03-2013, 11:09 PM)Treewyrm Wrote: [ -> ][2:05:04] Yuri (Treewyrm): the TL;DR version that should have been instead of that wall of textual mastrubation ed posted on forums: buffer systems that make it difficult for interactions between factions are bad and trading routes are no excuse for that, cause it's trading routes that should be adjusted to systems, not the other way

done

Agree
(11-03-2013, 11:09 PM)Treewyrm Wrote: [ -> ]TL;DR: buffer systems are bad
(11-04-2013, 12:47 AM)Omicron Wrote: [ -> ]Buffer systems are non issue... as long they're out of the place and not neccesary to visit in order to find player interaction. Omicron 81 was fine as Outcast's back alley (4.86, 4.85, possibly earlier) but is terrible as buffer zone (4.87) by discouraging raids and increasing distances between potential interactions. My 5 cents.

That specific system is only bad for a buffer because there are already enough buffers between Outcasts and their enemies towards the Taus. T37 is kinda enough already.
I think the NPC buffs in home systems makes for a far better way of discouraging 'takeovers' of home systems by hostile forces. Make the NPCs in home systems extra strong, or even add a number of anti-capital weapons platforms in areas around home systems/ planets. New players have a place to get acclimated to the game, and home system raids would also become really really challenging (as they should be,) instead of really really slow to get to.
Shortest trade routes between lawful bases need to be over the lanes. The lane system is put in to facilitate trade, if jumpholes and cruise actually defeats them in time, then what's the point of the lanes? With no traders going there, they won't be the piracy and counter piracy bottlenecks they're supposed to be. If we want to take out the buffer systems, fine, but that'll mean a lot of jumpholes will disappear as well. And it'll require another economy redo, which I'm sure Xoria will not be very happy about.
Good, jumpholes should be rare.
Pages: 1 2 3