Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: A.S to New Gregorian date format conversion?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have always wondered how I would go about convertig A.S date format to New Gregorian format (E.g 2013) for rp purposes. Anyone know how I would go about doing that?
There never was a defined date for the launch of the Alliance sleeper ships towards Sirius (near the start of the 23rd century, so ~2200) to give a "when humans were awake" time, nor the length of time they spent in-transit to work it out chronologically.
It would be up to your best estimate (could be RPed as the same, given you wouldn't know exactly inRP either).

What's the RP purposes of using CE/AD, for interest?
(11-06-2013, 01:17 AM)SummerMcLovin Wrote: [ -> ]There never was a defined date for the launch of the Alliance sleeper ships towards Sirius (near the start of the 23rd century, so ~2200) to give a "when humans were awake" time, nor the length of time they spent in-transit to work it out chronologically.
It would be up to your best estimate (could be RPed as the same, given you wouldn't know exactly inRP either).

What's the RP purposes of using CE/AD, for interest?

That would ruin the surprise wouldn't it Wink
I'd say it'd be roughly 4000 A.D, the sleeperships would of been launched around 2800, add 400 years for transport and 819 for the current date. Everything is made up obviously but the length of time feels about right to me.
Seems I was a little early on the time they were launched, but it was nowhere near 2800. Given the Balma Treaty Massacre happened in 2160, starting the Sol War, and it had been raging "for almost a century" when the Alliance fled, I'd say something like 2240-2250.

Although this is also technically made up, I think Reaper's idea of Colonial lore was that they spent 481 years in Crayter before it got natural disastered, and (to me, pretty ridiculous) 20 years to reach Sirius from there. Given they set off about 150 years before the Alliance, and each generation of ships would be faster due to technological advances, and that we have no idea how far away the three sectors are from each other... yeah I have no idea. Two to four hundred years transit time would be reasonable, but nothing is impossible. Just make it easier and use A.S. Tongue
I take it as 3000+ A.D. but no bigger than 4000.
Were the sleeper ships able to travel at speeds close to the speed of light?
Early cruise engines were miniaturizations of the sleeper ship engines (ref: Liberty Faction Overview by Chris Todd).

It is therefore safe to assume that, if a cruise engine can traverse a system (let's call it 15 AU) in roughly half an hour, the average speed of a modern cruise engine is roughly four times the speed of light.

Working backwards, you could probably assume the sleeper ships were able to travel at the speed of light.

Thank you for choosing Ageira Technologies.
Nerds...

I swear this sounds like a conversation from The Big Bang Theory. You know, fascinating to listen to, but no idea what is being said.

I like Star Wars time frame better anyways....A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...
lol true Star Wars was far more simpler. Anyways if Sleeper ships are able to travel at relativistic speeds lets sum up a few facts and make an estimation:

1. On wiki it says that Sirus is approx. 9 ly from Sol, lets assume that is the transit time for the ASF-1 to make it to the Sirius Sector.

2. The date of launch for the Sleep ships is debatable and it says in the FL intro that the Alliance-Coalition War (It started in 2160) had been going for almost a century (lets say 90 years) that would make date of launch maybe 2250 as Summer said.

3. Since Disco is now 4.87 the current year is probably 820 A.S

My estimation is from all the info provided (ty in advance Smile ) that in New Gregorian format the current year is 3079 AD
Pages: 1 2