Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Gunboat agility
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been wondering for a bit now, why is it that the lightest gunboats maneuver at the same rate as the heaviest gunboats?

The wiki is outdated, and I don't know how to look at the game files.. so correct me if I'm wrong. But the 3 gun-whatever's I've tried... the Hathor, Montante, and Conference... all take ~10 seconds to complete a 360 degree turn. I've also asked others in Conn and it's been the same for them. So I'm assuming that all GX's turn at the same rate.

Given that... I mean, isn't it a general rule that lighter ships turn faster than heavy ships?

The Montante and Conference are pretty much the same size as the Hathor, so they're just as easy to hit, yet have 2/3 the powercore. Shouldn't they be more maneuverable to some degree? Or are light gunboats just supposed to be inferior to heavy ones?

I know I'm comparing bw/civ tech to order tech here, but there are many GX's in that 'light' 400k-core category.
Max Angular speeds:

Hathor Gunboat 0.5250
Conference Gunboat 0.6273

Montane Gunship 0.6800

Time to 90% of max angular speed:

Hathor Gunboat 0.4797
Conference Gunboat 0.4187

Montane Gunship 0.4605

So, while Montane being more agile in terms of turning speed, we see that Zoner Gunboat start to turn faster. Hathor is in both aspects slower, thus less agile.

FLStat is a great program to extact some data out of the game.
(11-08-2013, 10:08 AM)Snak3 Wrote: [ -> ]Max Angular speeds:

Hathor Gunboat 0.5250
Conference Gunboat 0.6273

Montane Gunship 0.6800

Time to 90% of max angular speed:

Hathor Gunboat 0.4797
Conference Gunboat 0.4187

Montane Gunship 0.4605

So, while Montane being more agile in terms of turning speed, we see that Zoner Gunboat start to turn faster. Hathor is in both aspects slower, thus less agile.

FLStat is a great program to extact some data out of the game.

What unit of measurement do those numbers represent? Are these appreciable differences?
As I said, it feels like all 3 take about the same amount of time to complete a 360 degree turn. But then, without being able to compare them side by side I suppose it could just be my mind playing tricks on me. Maybe tomorrow I'll attempt a more scientific test and time them. With, like, an actual timekeeping device.
Check it yourself, as there are more numbers.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10971457/Freelancer/FLStat.exe
These are big differences. Play these ships in conn with a friend on your private server to test it.

There are generally 3 sizes of boats, you know that (according to the powercore).
Most of them (grr that scorpion sadness) are balanced according to that.

All 600,000 powercore gunboats turn slower than the lighter ones, many times resulting in them losing to the faster ones (especially the gaian gunship.

Besides that, the only other thing that helps you survive is the shape of the thing, and the god damned claymore that for some reason cant be targeted properly by most turrets (the fire sprays beneath the model and doesent hit it, doing no damage).
Hooray for Gaians! Big Grin
Blasted snobby farts with money! Rotten to the core by synthetic drugs, animalistic sex-life and wannabe pirates for bloody God's sake! Ive got yer in my sights!!!!!!! Yuuuu kennot haide frum ma fleshpoint level 7, nor me cannonboolls frum steeel!

xD