Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Freelancer Wireless/UDP Ports
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What ports should be open so Freelancer can run lag-free?
Any dirty tricks/fixes so Freelancer can run properly on wireless connection?

My wireless is quite nice, have 0 Lag in SC2 or PS2 or any other games ever.
Freelancer is not playable however. I cannot go for cable at the moment since the router is not accessible.
FL uses port 2302 i believe, but port punching usually shouldn't affect the lag or loss
Try playing near the router Smile
The thing is that I am working on certain project so I am at the place for only 8 months, not worth it to make 2 year internet contract. I am one wall and 1 m away from the router with really good card:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/w...sktop.html
I have 100% signal and I had the said ports open since I suspected that it is somewhere between 2300 and 2400.
Still terrible two digit loss and lagg even if I have no issues with any other PC game.

Anyone else playing with wireless? How you do it?
Do anyone use Wireless at all?
Could you try a differnet router?

Either that or chain another router onto the current router and try that...

Or have you hacked into someone else's wireless? Big Grin

Or...

Change the router's channel and other settings.

Or...

Try a directional antenna.

Oh and I use wireless myself and have had no problems at all, my ping is excellent, better than most people who play FL.
I cannot use other router or other connection, this is the one that I got for free, since my employer pays for the net. It is np from my PoV to pay 30€ per month for net but the skimmy net dealers in Germany want 2 years contract for the decent net, I already got one at my permanent apartment, making second one for 8 months and paying 18 more rates for nothing is kinda bad deal.
I use good antenna, see the link from my previous post, it almost kisses the router there are around 1m and 30 cm and one 20 cm wall distance, the router and the antenna are at the same position as far as I can say.
Tried to tweak the router channel and settings- 0 change from 54 mbit to 300mbit together with channels and other stuff- no difference...
It is possible to be too close to the router, although I'm sure you've tired moving further away.

Can you not just connect another router to the output ethernet ports on the router that's already set up?

This is what I do at home as the router my BB supplier gives me is crap, I just put the router in wired only mode and use my own router, straight from the ADSL router.
Try using a VPN.

I know it sounds stupid, but my college internet has had horrendous (30%) packetloss, and I'm finding disco to be playable when connected to my VPN(But not when not connected)

It's worth a shot.
After a few tricks it works a bit better.
Now I disabled the 4 and 6 protocols on the Wireless connection while making duplicating broadband ppoe connection that uses wireless to access the network.

Still I have some heavy lag spikes that are blocked by seeding utorrent for my full amusement. So when I play I leave the torrent client to seed at 2-10 kbs. So I got no lag no loss no nothing, it works okish 95% of the time.
I dunno if it is the router or the Freelancer ancient protocol usage or any recent changes in the server.

Anyone else that was successful in playing lagless Freelancer with wireless?
Nice to hear you got it sorted, happy truckin' Big Grin

Lately I've been having trouble with lag, a lot, I don't know if it's the wireless or not, but I've heard a lot of other people are having trouble, I also heard that someone is DDOSing the server because he was banned (could be just a rumour).

I imagine most people here use wireless, especially on their laptops, but I live in a dream world where everyone has a laptop.

I get lag on my desktop too, just as much as my laptop, the desktop is wireless too.
I use wireless too, on a very, VERY old laptop to play Disco. I usually have no problems, but recently I'm having stuff like 50% loss and 89% (personal record!) lag a lot of the time, which makes it impossible to even talk or move. Using cable has not fixed this, so it's most probably a server-side problem.