Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Questions regarding some RP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I'm trying to create my first real RP, like with a back story and some regularly updated writing to log the characters endeavors.

I had chosen the AI "Faction" for a couple reasons
A. I had previously thought it was a rather underused faction with high potential.
B. I'm not very good at actual role playing (Probably a lack of imagination) and being a robot is easy for me, following logic and all.

I had a basic idea of what I was wanting to do, however I thought I'd do some research into the history of the AI and planet Gammu and anyone elses RP that incorporated either. I want my RP to collaborate with others and not step on any toes or create lore discrepancies.

upon this research is where I found my problem.
I'm not sure what connection the discoveryGC wiki has to DiscoveryRP24/7 and these forums, however it's on the same domain so I've always accepted it as being "official"

There are three articles that I'm having trouble with.
1. http://discoverygc.com/wiki/Artificial_I..._Consensus
2. http://discoverygc.com/wiki/Sentient_Machine_Alliance
3. http://discoverygc.com/wiki/Harvesters

Each of these describe a different origin to the inhabitants of Planet Gammu and the AI faction we now have.

How are these articles recognized by other Role Players that use the AI or deal with the AI?

I'm happy to conform my story to anyone else's that pre-dates mine, but if everything says something different it's a little difficult :P

This has ended up as quite a lot to read, sorry.
Thanks to anyone who has the time to read and help me out.
Tbe first article is the most up-to-date one. The other two factions are (long) gone.
Hmm the Artificial Intelligence Consensus.

That one blatantly contradicts with info cards of both the Nomad ID and Planed Gammu.

It talks about a ship containing drones crashing into asteroids.Then the drones in the ship out of sheer force of will steered the ship into Gammu and starting their own hierarchical race.

The In-game infocards say that Gammu was populated by humans to mine minerals form it's surface. all the people croaked from radiation, leaving only automated factories that developed into what we now have.

How could an official faction be started with such massive plot discrepancies? :P
If it's the general opinion that the Artificial Intelligence Consensus's plot is the one to abide by, I will base my characters background on that plot.
(11-09-2013, 04:19 AM)BOB Wrote: [ -> ]...
How could an official faction be started with such massive plot discrepancies? Tongue
If it's the general opinion that the Artificial Intelligence Consensus's plot is the one to abide by, I will base my characters background on that plot.

I believe that the AI Consensus drafted their faction concept before the Planet Gammu / Planet Primus infocards were updated (and the AI faction formally given an IFF); therefore it may seem contradictory.
I see, that explains it.

In your opinion, which plot should future AI characters base their background on? The one in the infocards or the one written by those guys?
It took you three years to actually roleplay and you just noticed how totally and shamelessly broken the whole AI concept was? I guess I shouldn't be surprised, since someone else finally came up with a "cybernetics cult" after years of nobody noticing implants and prosthetics in the original game.

Go for it. Ignore the AI ID, the stupid Planet Gammu "lore," the whole nine yards. Make it something plausible. Something that doesn't suck. Something relevant.
Haha, I like your viewpoint.

Starting to feel like steering clear of the whole mess and just being a human. I'll have a think over it for a couple days and see if I'm still keen.

I have always roleplayed ingame, always acted as though I am flying a space ship in space. Just never gone and written backstories and such. I have always felt these characters added to the game and have noticed a decline in them lately, thought I might try my hat at it.

Anyway, I'm off to sleep.
Artificial Intelligence is like the illegitimate child of the Mod... often neglected and it doesn't always fit in very well.

While it is, relatively speaking, more of a blank slate than other factions, because of a lack of establishment in mod lore, you may have actually chosen a faction that is harder to write about.
Well I would personally be inclined to follow what is present in the mod, however I was thinking over it whilst eating my breakfast today (I know, sad right?) and I was thinking a few questions arise with that story.

Who were the humans that attempted to colonize the planet? Part of the original Sirius colonizers?
Were these records kept by the machines themselves, or was part of the Sirius population aware of the goings on down there?

I'd be happy to write some stuff about the AI and plannet Gammu's history, and try to fill in some of the blanks and slot them into the disco universe a little better.
Maybe an experienced member or a dev could read over it and see what they think. If it's crap we can scrap it and I can go back to just flying ships :P