Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Definition of a rule
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
1.2 Trolling or harassing other members of the community

I'm wanting to know what the definition of this would be in game, Examples or explanations appreciated please
If it's in-game then it probably doesn't even fall under that rule, rather the one about using out-of-character talk. Trolling and harassing somebody in-game isn't really much of an issue so long as it's done within the scope of role-play. Don't get me wrong, if we're talking about meta-gaming to the point of harming server game-play then admin may step in.
Be a nice person and you don't have to worry about it.
Don't take it serious. This rule is just a tool to ban individuals that admins or\and their friends don't want to see around here. There never was a clear definition or a clearly drawn line for being a subject for that rule so it's really an abuse-free. To sum it up - one can get away with much more then another done to be temporary\permanently banned.

Have fun.
(11-14-2013, 04:47 AM)Alduin Wrote: [ -> ]1.2 Trolling or harassing other members of the community

I'm wanting to know what the definition of this would be in game, Examples or explanations appreciated please

It is a generic rule to fall back on, when the actions taken by a member of the community is malicious but does not fall under any other rule.

For example, demanding 20 million from low-ranked players ingame as a pirate for the only purpose of blowing them up. Nowhere it is stated that the pirate cannot do that, but it is a sanctionable offense anyway.
Usually leads to ship deletion.
(11-14-2013, 08:54 AM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-14-2013, 04:47 AM)Alduin Wrote: [ -> ]1.2 Trolling or harassing other members of the community

It is a generic rule to fall back on, when the actions taken by a member of the community is malicious but does not fall under any other rule.

For example, demanding 20 million from low-ranked players ingame as a pirate for the only purpose of blowing them up. Nowhere it is stated that the pirate cannot do that, but it is a sanctionable offense anyway.
Usually leads to ship deletion.

Mmm, there was rule 0.0 (fairplay) for that, trolling is not really fitting into the given example. Currently it's more likely a pvp abuse, but not a trolling imo.

Edit: Funny enough that I didn't found the "pvp abuse" rule too. It's gone on vacation or something.
As far as I know, the 0,0 was split in:

and
-- Administrators are obliged:
To ensure work of Discovery Freelancer server.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harassment
(11-14-2013, 09:44 AM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]As far as I know, the 0,0 was split in:

and
-- Administrators are obliged:
To ensure work of Discovery Freelancer server.

Not sure because there was the 1.2 (Or it's analog, whatever) rule before the 0.0 was gone.

However, the terms "trolling or harassing" and "to ensure work" are not reliable because their meaning can be widely interpreted. Too widely for sure - one can feel he's harassed while another won't notice. So it's, as I said, up to admins and affiliated parties to decide either the individual's actions are enough to be a subject for this rule's application or not. In this case the influence of prejudgment is rising because your own stance towards the certain people or a group of people is playing it's part in the final decision. Yes, yes - you want to tell me, perhaps, that admins are not biased and completely honest with themselves while they are deciding over some uncertain matter. I'll just say that I'm in huge doubt towards that -> people are people after all.

That's why the actual laws are so complicated - it's important to describe and interpret all possible means of all the terms, mechanisms and details to make the rules as clear as possible. When it's unclear then rules are simply not working because one simply can't understand the mechanism of their application (while those mechanisms might be clear for the administration).

This thread (along with many other threads) is a proof for that theory of mine.

We can go further and replace all the rules with one single line, like:

Rules

1.0 - Do everything right

Go do everything right, please.
I think that not stating every single way you can fak over someone's day is an attempt on the admin part to at least and try to treat the community as a bunch of more or less sentient beings with the ability to use common sense.

Generally, it has proven to be a rather unsuccessful try so far.
Pages: 1 2